The Student Room Group

Blades for astro/artificial grass

Hi,

I regularly play on astroturf and on "artificial grass" (im not sure what it is exactly, but i think its called 3G or something. its different to astroturf, its deeper and has more "give"). i used to play with trainers (no blades, no studs) but just bought some blades.

im just checking for peoples opinions on using blades on those surfaces. surely theyre better, even though its not actually grass? as far as i can see they'd definitely be better for the 3G stuff but since the astroturf is so hard anyway it may not make too much difference. but cant make it any worse right?

what's best for these surfaces?

cheers.
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
I've changed from wearing Astro's to Blades on both Astroturf and 3G, and have found I get much much better grip. I'd recommend it! Although, I do seem to occasionally get sore ankles from the harder blades over astro's pimples.
Reply 3
Aweeome. I'll definitely be wearing them on the 3G then, and I'll give them at try on astroturf
Reply 4
Original post by hopinmad
Hi,

I regularly play on astroturf and on "artificial grass" (im not sure what it is exactly, but i think its called 3G or something. its different to astroturf, its deeper and has more "give"). i used to play with trainers (no blades, no studs) but just bought some blades.

im just checking for peoples opinions on using blades on those surfaces. surely theyre better, even though its not actually grass? as far as i can see they'd definitely be better for the 3G stuff but since the astroturf is so hard anyway it may not make too much difference. but cant make it any worse right?

what's best for these surfaces?

cheers.

As long as you have firm ground studs they will be fine. The only thing is that sometimes people can get a bit funny if you're wearing any type of studs on 3g because if you catch a join in the surface it can rip it up
Reply 5
plastic blades are fine for 3G, used to wear mine on the astroturf no problem (had to stop because the owner suddenly changed the rules) In fact I prefer FG boots to astroturf ones
i can't stand people who wear those boots on astroturf bloody stepping on my toes
Reply 7
heard wearing blades on astro isnt good for your knees and ankles...

tbh the material of boots is wayyy better than the normal astro shoes you cna generate so much more power and you can controll the ball a lot easier but has its down sides too
being agile seems a bit harder, being faster becomes harder too... guess if youre a slow player than the blades will be alright just dont go sliding in on people!
Reply 8
I wear my AdiPure's. Metal tipped blades :teeth: but i play on grass with them too. Need new ones though. Playing on astro turf/3G so much has ruined them - coming away at seams etc. Could do with a grass pair and an astro turf/3g pair.
Reply 9
I've got a question now, as I mentioned earlier the owner of out pitch stopped us wearing blades

would that apply to AG boots like these?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Nike-Football-Boots-Nike-Tiempo-Mystic-IV-AG-Artificial-Grass-Soccer-Cleats-WhiteCourt-GreenMetallic-Silver-42292.aspx

Asking the owners out of the question, would take at 2 weeks if at all to get an answer
Reply 11
For your well being I would advice u not to use blades on AG. Even if you dont get the performance u expect from the astros, its better to go with them than the blades on a AG. From my personal experience, I went for performance over safety after several warnings and used blades and have damaged my ACL, its almost a year now and am still not able to get back to playing. When trying to take a turn, the blades provided too much grip, wherein I twisted my knee while the foot was still fixed to the ground because of the blades. I would suggest for you guys's safety to completely avoid blades on AG.

Quick Reply

Latest