The Student Room Group

Friends decided to take a break with me

Currently I’ve been going through a lot mentally. I decided to be distant from my friends as I don’t want to be a Debbie downer as I can see they’re having fun. My gf insisted that I come to visit her and even offered to pay for my ticket so I visit her. My friends never insisted on visiting me or going places after we discussed what I was going through they wouldn’t check up on me. I checked up on my friends here and there just to let them know I’m still here. I even offered to cook for them and they denied. They then said we need a break from each other as I’m focusing more on my gf then I am with them. Eventhough that’s not the case. Tbh I didn’t want to go anywhere and the fact that my gf insisted and made the action of helping me visiting her that’s why I went. Am I a bad friend?
Reply 1
Good friends are like growing plants. Some are very needy and require intensive nurture and support to maintain their vigour. Others plants are robust and tough as blades of sea grass, never needing any effort or input. I am sure you can categorise your friends. Some have very high expectations and are high maintenance. It is up to you to choose the rewards you gain from giving all the hard work to maintain a friend. But don't forget to water the rest of your plants just because you are so smitten by a beautiful bloom!! Keep your close friends; they will still be there long after you have been ditched by your gf.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Good friends are like growing plants. Some are very needy and require intensive nurture and support to maintain their vigour. Others plants are robust and tough as blades of sea grass, never needing any effort or input. I am sure you can categorise your friends. Some have very high expectations and are high maintenance. It is up to you to choose the rewards you gain from giving all the hard work to maintain a friend. But don't forget to water the rest of your plants just because you are so smitten by a beautiful bloom!! Keep your close friends; they will still be there long after you have been ditched by your gf.

This is soo beautifully worded thank you soo much for this. We have taken a friendship break but I’m going to work on solely focusing on my relationship. I just need to give balance to all relationships.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttly

Do you think there’s any way to fix this?
Reply 4
Yes you can - reach out to all of your friends and try and make an effort to find out how they are, what they have been up to and give them some love and attention. Your friends need to know you care. It's so easy to become insular and shut down your support networks when you have a single focussed relationship. Go and find laughter, seek out a good belly laugh and don't take life too seriously. Look up the song "Always look on the bright side of life" There is a term that in life 'you find a piece of gristle' (often its several!!) But you will eventually get rid of it. You will survive. Make that a positive outlook. Be happy no matter what. you have or where you are. If you have all of your faculties and can walk and run down the street you can never be sad for too long.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttly
Yes you can - reach out to all of your friends and try and make an effort to find out how they are, what they have been up to and give them some love and attention. Your friends need to know you care. It's so easy to become insular and shut down your support networks when you have a single focussed relationship. Go and find laughter, seek out a good belly laugh and don't take life too seriously. Look up the song "Always look on the bright side of life" There is a term that in life 'you find a piece of gristle' (often its several!!) But you will eventually get rid of it. You will survive. Make that a positive outlook. Be happy no matter what. you have or where you are. If you have all of your faculties and can walk and run down the street you can never be sad for too long.

Wow thank you soo much. Have a great rest of your day. I will listen to that song.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending