The Student Room Group

Why is Babar Ahmed being extradited to the US?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by mariachi
in your view, why do countries conclude extradition treaties ?

it's not like the UK invented this practice

The UK not inventing it, other countries doing it DOES NOT MEAN it is a good idea... there are more poor people in the world than rich people, does that mean we should be poor? and we should support poverty? no, didn't think so.
Original post by 4TSR
The UK not inventing it, other countries doing it DOES NOT MEAN it is a good idea... there are more poor people in the world than rich people, does that mean we should be poor? and we should support poverty? no, didn't think so.
most countries in the world have extradition treaties

basically, since most judicial systems don't prosecute crimes committed in foreign countries, extradition treaties are concluded so that State A can, on a basis of reciprocity, obtain from State B and then try defendants who are accused of committing crimes in the territory of State A and who would otherwise escape prosecution

this practice has a long tradition and corresponds to a clear necessity in fight against crime
Reply 182
Original post by Phantom_X
which is all well and good, until you realise how the the British state isn't really on your side, more evident with the complicit nature of the security service in relation to Rendition, ie. with the case at the moment in Libya and the case of Binyam Mohammed too. In reality, the 'fair trial' concept is something that exists only on the surface- the reality of the american legal system is that usually you can never win against the state, PARTICULARLY when you are accused of terrorism.

America is subject to the same rules as most countries. If his representatives feel he did not have a fair trial, there are many ways to seek a retrial. Typically the us has a poor rep dealing with minorities, however most of these stories come from 30 or 40 years ago. In most miscarages the issue is usually getting a legal representative who also believes you had an unfair trial to take up the case. Given the media attention, and the involvement of the UK govt, any sniff of misconduct will be answered i imagine.

Have you considered that maybe people dont win a lot against the US, because of their post 9/11 attitude? Nobody wants terrorists to walk free, so it is in the govts PR interests, and the legal systems, to make sure they have their cases water tight against terrorist suspects.

Almost all the so called 'unfair' trials of terror suspects that people band about are actually issues of certainty rather than issues of innocence or guilt.

This guy, ran a jihadi website, and their was some fairly serious bits of secret material on one of the servers. Ok, you can argue that maybe somebody else put it their as others had access. Invariably, the US have more info on him than just this soundbite. I have no sympathy, he runs a website that advocates terror and is obviously hanging around with some very serious terrorists if somebody else put it on their. Swim in ****, and dont be suprised if you come out stinking. If he was that concerned with his own legal standpoint, he would not have been so deeply involved. I class him as guilt by association, if he really didnt obtain that specific info personally.

This is often the case, maybe their is ambiguity about a specific event, but almost all these so called 'mistrials' are people with known sympathies, extremist views, close association with terrorists, and usually some fairly hefty involvement. Plotting somebodies murder is not ok if you dont personally pull the trigger.
Babar Ahmed is living proof that the UK government can arrest anyone it wishes and keep them in custody for 8 years without giving the accused the chance to challenge the evidence in court.

Democracy is a beautiful thing isn't it
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Babar Ahmed is living proof that the UK government can arrest anyone it wishes and keep them in custody for 8 years without giving the accused the chance to challenge the evidence in court.

Babar Ahmed is still in custody because he has used all possible ways of recourse for fighting extradition

these procedures, unfortunately, take up a lot of time

if he had accepted to be tried in the US, he would have had the possibility to challenge the evidence in court

extraditions treaties are concluded because each side trusts the other, and considers that its justice system allows for a fair trial

if a State considers that another State does not ensure fair trials, it should not conclude an extradition treaty with it

and that's the way democratic countries operate
Reply 185

I may be wrong but didnt he spend 8 years fighting the extradition? If he wanted to face his evidence in court, he could of not fought it and been extradited fairly quickly.
Babar Ahmed is still in custody because he has used all possible ways of recourse for fighting extradition

these procedures, unfortunately, take up a lot of time

if he had accepted to be tried in the US, he would have had the possibility to challenge the evidence in court

extraditions treaties are concluded because each side trusts the other, and considers that its justice system allows for a fair trial

if a State considers that another State does not ensure fair trials, it should not conclude an extradition treaty with it

and that's the way democratic countries operate

Extradited FIRST then seeing the so-called ''evidence'' he is challenging? Justice?

Also, not to mention the physical, religious and sexual abuse he has endured at the hand of the police.
Original post by c471
I may be wrong but didnt he spend 8 years fighting the extradition? If he wanted to face his evidence in court, he could of not fought it and been extradited fairly quickly.

So you think it is fair to be extradited to another country without knowing why exactly prior to extradition?

Its fair to be locked up in solitary confinement in a supermax prison in a foreign land whilst you are YET to hear what you are accused of?
Reply 188
So you think it is fair to be extradited to another country without knowing why exactly prior to extradition?

Its fair to be locked up in solitary confinement in a supermax prison in a foreign land whilst you are YET to hear what you are accused of?

He knows what he is being extradited for. Maybe the US is not keen to hand over very sensitive infomation to somebody in another country with link to serious terrorists without knowing the extradition will be approved?

also, supermax prisons are for the convicted, he would not be their until found guilt, same with solitary unless he kicks off.

If you read up about the website he was involved with running, this was no idealistic theology. This was a website with serious terrorist players behind it, and had links to terrorists across the globe, involved in many conflicts. It distributed videos of murders and deaths to inspire its followers.

Yes, I wouldnt like to be flown to America and held in a prison there to await trial. So you know what I do? I dont involve myself with illegal activities and advocate murder. If he was so concerned, he would not of gone near the whole affair.

It is a damn site fairer that somebody involved with this sort of operation is inconvenienced, than the many innocent lives taken in this so called quest for freedom.
(edited 12 years ago)
Extradited FIRST then seeing the so-called ''evidence'' he is challenging? Justice?
yes

extradition is not a guilty sentence. Extradition is based on the concept that the two justice systems are equivalent, and the accused person will be allowed a fair trial in the country he is being extradited to, where the evidence will be duly evaluated.

The UK and the US recognize each other as democratic countries, governed by rule of law, and consider therefore that their justice systems are equivalent. If this assumption is no longer valid, then they have to terminate the treaty.

Also, not to mention the physical, religious and sexual abuse he has endured at the hand of the police.
that is indeed wrong. I understand that Babar Ahmed won his case and obtained some compensation.

To be frank, there are not many countries where a detained person could win a case against the police... only democratic countries would allow that to happen.
Reply 190
most countries in the world have extradition treaties

basically, since most judicial systems don't prosecute crimes committed in foreign countries, extradition treaties are concluded so that State A can, on a basis of reciprocity, obtain from State B and then try defendants who are accused of committing crimes in the territory of State A and who would otherwise escape prosecution

this practice has a long tradition and corresponds to a clear necessity in fight against crime

So that british citizen who hosted the Tvshack website, should be sent to the US? event hough he didn't break any laws here?
Original post by 4TSR
So that british citizen who hosted the Tvshack website, should be sent to the US? event hough he didn't break any laws here?
I don't know the details of that case

However : extradition treaties are necessary and needed

without extradition treaties, any criminal who manages to leave the country where he committed a crime would go scot-free

States don't establish the guilt of an accused person before extraditing him.

For extradition to take place, there is usually the "double criminality" requirement (e.g. the accusation should be legally prosecutable in both countries)

This requirement, however, is removed under some extradition agreements, such as in the context of the European Arrest Warrant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_arrest_warrant#Double_criminality and in particular for crimes linked to terrorism
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by Phantom_X
for the love of god, please actually read the case before you post. Nowhere is there evidence that he 'wants us all dead', nor is there evidence that his website was in america (it was in London) and why should he be imprisoned for life because he dosen't love the British government?

The fact is, we know people with these views hate westerners. You just look at the hatred many muslims have on here for the west to realise there is millions more out there who share their views, and are possibly a danger too us.

This guy would not be locked up like this unless there was significant evidence (which the US has and you dont I might add) that he is involved in some way with terrorist/jihadist activities.

You seem to think that just because he hasnt blown loads of people up yet that he is totally innocent.

Right.

I applaud our governments on how serious they take this issue, they let them all migrate here, they should use the full force of the law to prevent them from hurting us.

Of course, muslims wont like this as they wouldnt care and are probably happy when westerners get killed by Islamic terrorists.
Reply 193

How moronic, you do know this happens in jails/with governments across the planet? More so and even more unfairly so than the UK or US?

People are jailed for years with no proper trial for things like carrying drugs, which IMO is far less serious and evil than plotting to kill innocent people because of your backward beliefs.
Reply 194
Original post by Chloe xxx
The fact is, we know people with these views hate westerners. You just look at the hatred many muslims have on here for the west to realise there is millions more out there who share their views, and are possibly a danger too us.

This guy would not be locked up like this unless there was significant evidence (which the US has and you dont I might add) that he is involved in some way with terrorist/jihadist activities.

You seem to think that just because he hasnt blown loads of people up yet that he is totally innocent.

Right.

I applaud our governments on how serious they take this issue, they let them all migrate here, they should use the full force of the law to prevent them from hurting us.

Of course, muslims wont like this as they wouldnt care and are probably happy when westerners get killed by Islamic terrorists.

Why on earth would muslims be happy about this !? You are making massive generalisations and you still havent provided a source with the views Babar exactly has.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by samir12
Why on earth would muslims be happy about this !? You are making massive generalisations and you still havent provided a source with the views Babar exactly has.

Sorry, the impression one gets when every time a muslim person is on trial in the US or UK for suspected terrorist involvement, there is always muslims all over the internet and elsewhere crying for their release, telling people to sign petitions, spitting their dummies out, claiming the person is innocent when they have no idea so, it goes on and on.

They presume they know all the evidence the US does, coupled with their hatred for the west/western governments they'd rather have suspected Islamic terrorists released than keep the western public safe.

Its not really a surprise, muslims dont care for anyone else except other muslims, even if the muslim in question is a terrorist, murder inciter or all round horrible person. Post links for what, I've been reading about it myself dont need to prove to you what I've read :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
I believe in innocent until proven guilty and hopefully now he will have a chance to demonstrate his innocence in a US court!

My own view is he is, or was, mostly likely a radical. I have seen some interviews with Baber and also his associates and they seem a bit too slick, a bit too well rehearsed in their arguments. If you ask me they are practicing taqiyya but that is just my intuitive stance.

I have seen interviews with his Dad now. I do feel for his Dad, he doesn't want his son to spend the rest of his life in a US jail. I cannot blame him.

I also thing is is crazy and wrong that he has been locked up since 2004 with no trial. One reason for this though is our glacial legal system with endless back and forth of appeals from one court to another.

Yes American jails are not nice, but then jails are not supposed to be. In some parts of the world they don't even feed inmates and they have to rely upon friends or family. In some parts of the world the inmates basically run the prisons like in Brazil.

The US justice system is not perfect. I have no reason to think it is worse than ours though. I am pretty sure it is better than 90% of the worlds justice systems.
Reply 197
I don't know the details of that case

However : extradition treaties are necessary and needed

without extradition treaties, any criminal who manages to leave the country where he committed a crime would go scot-free

States don't establish the guilt of an accused person before extraditing him.

For extradition to take place, there is usually the "double criminality" requirement (e.g. the accusation should be legally prosecutable in both countries)

This requirement, however, is removed under some extradition agreements, such as in the context of the European Arrest Warrant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_arrest_warrant#Double_criminality and in particular for crimes linked to terrorism

Two of the things on that list:

terrorism,
computer-related crime,

They are well within their rights to extradict him really, I will say though that he hasnt killed anyone so I hope if convicted he doesnt get too harsh of a sentence.
Original post by Chloe xxx
How moronic, you do know this happens in jails/with governments across the planet? More so and even more unfairly so than the UK or US?

People are jailed for years with no proper trial for things like carrying drugs, which IMO is far less serious and evil than plotting to kill innocent people because of your backward beliefs.

I KNOW this occurs in countries across the world. And these are the SAME countries that the UK/US governments hypocritically brand as undemocratic or whatever.. And he hasn't been convicted, so your argument is invalid
Reply 199
I KNOW this occurs in countries across the world. And these are the SAME countries that the UK/US governments hypocritically brand as undemocratic or whatever.. And he hasn't been convicted, so your argument is invalid

Neither has many many people around the world in corrupt jails, many US and British Citizens also. Is there always endless petitions and campaigns to get white drug traffickers sent back to the UK from its indigenous residents? No. The reaction is, you do the crime you face the consequences.

Atleast the west gives out a fair trial taking everything into consideration, which is more than can be said for some Muslim countries.

You're forgetting these countries are way way more undemocratic than the US and UK, the UKs law is well known for being a soft touch a lot of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending