The Student Room Group

The disparity between A and A*? Physics @ Uni

Hi! I recently got results back and I got an A in A-Level physics (AQA, I think the exams were ruthless but grade boundaries were low so I don't have too large of an excuse).

Would an A be good enough to still hold up to a First honours in Physics at university (mid-tier RG possibly). Or is the disparity between these two so minuscule in comparison to the effort you put at university for the first that you would eventually catch up to the gap in knowledge? I feel like I'm at a jump start disadvantage at university if I'm down in the direct course I want to do.

Still very proud of the grade but I am more worried about the disparity in knowledge. Thank you!
Original post by Ahmed Ralo
Hi! I recently got results back and I got an A in A-Level physics (AQA, I think the exams were ruthless but grade boundaries were low so I don't have too large of an excuse).

Would an A be good enough to still hold up to a First honours in Physics at university (mid-tier RG possibly). Or is the disparity between these two so minuscule in comparison to the effort you put at university for the first that you would eventually catch up to the gap in knowledge? I feel like I'm at a jump start disadvantage at university if I'm down in the direct course I want to do.

Still very proud of the grade but I am more worried about the disparity in knowledge. Thank you!

Hi @Ahmed Ralo,

Congratulations on achieving an A in your physics! I'm a second-year chemistry student so while I don't have direct experiences in physics I can offer some advice based on my own experiences nonetheless.

The transition from A-level to university is a big jump so there are a few things to consider:

Catch-up and support: Universities are aware that students come from different educational backgrounds, and they often provide support mechanisms to help students bridge the gap between A-Levels and university-level studies. Professors, study groups, and additional resources (like supplementary readings or tutorials) are commonly available to help students catch up on any foundational knowledge they might be missing. For example, I took an extra module in first year to build on my maths skills as I didn't do maths A-level.
Independent Learning: University places a strong emphasis on independent learning. While you might feel that there's a disparity in knowledge initially, the skills you develop in self-directed study and research during your university years can greatly help you bridge that gap.
Motivation: If you have a genuine passion for physics and are motivated to succeed, you're already ahead. Your enthusiasm will drive you to learn and understand even the more challenging concepts, which will help you to get the grades you want.

Your excellent A-level grades show good ability and understanding. The transition may be challenging initially but for many people it is the same. For me, the first year of my degree was designed to help every student reach the same level of foundational knowledge and I think other degrees could be the same. Many students start uni with varying levels of background knowledge and if you meet the entry requirements, there is no reason you cannot excel.

If you are worried, you could get in contact with your department directly to see if there's anything you can do to prepare yourself and put yourself in the best position possible before the academic year.

Good luck at uni
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
You're completely fine. Clean slate going into university; the disparity between A and an A* at A-Level is miniscule.
Reply 3
Original post by confuzzledteen
You're completely fine. Clean slate going into university; the disparity between A and an A* at A-Level is miniscule.

Great, will try do my best to bridge my knowledge. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending