The Student Room Group

Too late to revise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Really did help, thank you everyone.
Reply 21
I'm in neraly the exact situation as you. I have AAAB as my predicted grades, and just like you said, I'm probably doing just 2 hours a day. But guys:

I don't understand why past papers are so important....can someone help me out here?!?!?
Original post by thorn0123
I've been averaging out of 2 hours per day for this easter break (no way near enough), and haven't done any work for the last 3 days. How many hours do you think i'd been to put in in order to get As. I currently hold 3As in the January exams, and my first exam is in 5 weeks (C1).

You have plenty of time. Do yourself a timetable aprox 5hrs a day, with one day off a week and you'll be fine.
Original post by docwannabe
I'm in neraly the exact situation as you. I have AAAB as my predicted grades, and just like you said, I'm probably doing just 2 hours a day. But guys:

I don't understand why past papers are so important....can someone help me out here?!?!?

Go over them to find where you lost marks and work on those areas.
Reply 24
Original post by starshine123
Go over them to find where you lost marks and work on those areas.

Ok thanks. But i suppose before you start doing past papers you actually revise the whole syllabus...and then start doing the past papers.
I completely understand it is enough time for C and B grades, however i'm not quite sure for A grades.

It's achievable if you work smartly.
Reply 26
The worlds ending this year, why bother?
Revision is overated anyway!

Only joking we have absolutley ages to revise. People really overstimate. Do past papers. It dosnt take five weeks to do every past paper and revise weak areas, does it?
Ok thanks. But i suppose before you start doing past papers you actually revise the whole syllabus...and then start doing the past papers.

Sorry I thought you meant going over papers you had already done, i.e. mock exams. In terms of doing past papers you can do them in a variety of ways. I used to go over the paper once before revising to see how many questions I could already answer. Then check my answers and revise according to the outcome. This would highlight my strong and weak points and I would know which areas I need to work on the most. After that I would do a past paper every 1-2 weeks to check my progress, and re-adjust my timetable to focus on my weaker subjects/modules.

Approach past papers in a way that you think will benefit you the most.

Also - study the mark schemes for the past papers as well - they can be life-savers in terms of giving you a clear focus of what you need to know, so you don't waste your time on things that will not get you marks in the exam.
Reply 28
Original post by starshine123
You have plenty of time. Do yourself a timetable aprox 5hrs a day, with one day off a week and you'll be fine.

5 hours a day I can do until Monday, then college starts again :\
/not sure if serious.
Reply 30
Original post by wibletg
Are you joking? I've barely even started.

A2 exams start in June, whereas AS exams start early May.
Reply 31
I don't think it's too late to revise...I haven't done anything over these holidays; the most I've done is my homework (which is quite helpful) and I'm planning on doing a few hours everyday when the holidays end, and some past papers. I'll do more and more as the exams get closer but there's still 4 weeks to go...I don't wanna stress about it
Reply 32
Original post by isp
A2 exams start in June, whereas AS exams start early May.

my AS exams don't start until June, except for a Chemistry practical/ :colone:
Mine start on the 15 of May and i've only been doing a ouple of hours a day :/

Aiming for ABBBC... hopefully if I no-life it, I should get there
I don't think it's too late, it's the easter holidays - we still have 4 weeks left AND exam leave. I bet you most people won't be revising until exam leave starts so you are no way at a disadvantage. Most people on STR are high achievers and will have started revising already so you may feel as if you are behind but in reality you aren't. Relax, pace yourself. Most courses will have finished by now and you will be revising in lessons and frees. From the sounds of it if you've already started and have the ability then even 2 hours every day will be enough. That's 14 hours a week for 4 weeks,not taking into account class time. you have plenty of time :smile:
5 hours a day I can do until Monday, then college starts again :\

Are you revising for A-levels? If so, it is managable. I used to get back from college at about four and then study untill about 9/10. But you don't need to do that if your confident about your knowledge for each subject. I was a very insecure student so I put in more time to ensure I was confident come exam day. I also stopped going to college a few weeks before the exams so I could spend more time studying at home. You know how you work best, so don't hesitate in working in the way you believe will get you the best grades. Even if you fit in 3 hours after college, you should be fine as long as you revise the correct material. Look through the studentroom forums and find other people sitting the same exams as you, talk to them, exchange ideas (this really helped me with my revision). Also look at mark schemes for past papers. I cannot stress this enough - knowing the mark scheme well can be the difference between a C and an A. Seriously.
Reply 36

Because even if you understand all the theory and concepts inside out, you need to have good exam technique, because a lot of the time, unless you mention certain keywords and points, you won't get the marks. Plus there tends to be some recurring questions, which can be easy marks if you know them!
Reply 37
There is certainly enough time to get going. Don't procrastinate and don't panic.

You'll be fine, so long as you crack on with some work.
Yes, you have enough time. But don't get complacent either. If you put the effort in, you'll get the grades you need.
Reply 39
I started end of April last year for revision for AS' and managed to pull of some decent results, but I'd start as soon as :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest