The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Lewis_986
Nah don't bother m8 you wont get in. Theres a lot to be said about the differences between people who get in to lesser Oxbridge colleges and those who get in to much better ones. And as for the last post, if you're going to Durham, does anyone REALLY think DURHAM is better than the LSE? What an absolute joke.

Is anyone else with me on finding comments like this really quite amusing?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
ditto eleri
On the issue of boasting, as long as you mention what you've done and what you learned from it rather than write about why you're the best its not boastful. You only have 500 words to tell these peoplea about yourself, not the time to be shy.
Registered _Me
This isn't massively relevant, but i just found it interesting to read someone elses personal statement.

I applied Gov and Eco, and as it is too late for applicants now i though I'd share my personal statement.

So far I've been shortlisted, i'll keep you updated..

My perception of the world changed on September the 11th 2001, when I returned home from school to find that a terrorist organisation had attacked the World Trade Centre. The attack destroyed my feeling of security, provoking me to probe and question the world around me in a way I hadn't before and sparking my interest in current affairs. The importance of political decisions and economics soon became apparent, how can the two disciplines be overlooked, when almost every issue or headline from the food on our table to the death of thousands in a terrorist attack, is related to one or both of the subjects?

My favourite area of economics is macro; I particularly enjoy comparing and evaluating the different tools and management strategies that the government can use in controlling the economy. It is interesting to assess not only how different ideas affect the economic climate, but also the political reasons and repercussions of such decisions. I keep up to date with developments within the subject by regularly reading The Economist and David Smith in The Times. For me, one of the most interesting features of Economics is the way in which the theory can be applied to the very simple situations, for example the way that Steven Levitt is able to compare the Klu Klux Klan to Estate agents in his book Freakonomics. However, I look forward to using the skills that I have gained in Mathematics for the more complex, like game theory, at degree level.

Reading books like 'The Wealth and Poverty of Nations' by David Landes has opened my eyes to the global inequality of wealth, and the negative effect that groups like the WTO have on 3rd world countries. I have campaigned to 'Make Poverty History', improving my presentation skills while gaining greater insight into Wyn Grant's ideas on pressure groups by presenting assemblies to the lower school and volunteering in Oxfam. My team work and organisational skills were developed while working as a group of Charity Committee representatives who were asked to organise a human 'Make Poverty History' band around Salisbury Cathedral.

Learning about the reforming agenda that Tony Blair introduced to his party in 1997 motivated me to get involved with the Labour party on the less glamorous local level, and so I have gained insight into local and regional meetings. I enjoyed outlining ideologies like the 3rd Way and conservatism in my AS course, it was interesting to study the core ideas and beliefs behind policy, so developed my understanding by reading 'Political Ideologies: an introduction' by Andrew Heywood. I was lucky enough to be invited to represent my school at the 2005 Dicey Conference at Trinity College Oxford. The two day conference allowed me to explore one of my favourite topics, 'Who rules the UK?', with significant figures and aware students from all over the country. It strengthened my opinion that power and influence has moved from directly accountable institutions like Parliament and the Cabinet to less democratic bodies like the city and the media. This opportunity to discuss with a spectrum of different opinions is mirrored in my school life, where I am an active member of the Debating Society and get the chance to talk to and grill guest speakers at Politics Society.

I have been involved in a unique Student Research programme, where I have led a team of yr 7's towards a presentation to the staff on what we think makes the perfect lesson. In investigating lesson structure, I have gained essential research and presentation skills as well as growing a lot more active in my own learning. I have proved how committed and responsible I am, while perfecting my teamwork and leadership skills by taking on the roles of Head of the Sixth Form Council, a Head of House and a Senior Prefect.

I feel that my passion for both Politics and Economics makes me worthy of a place on a joint course, and I look forward to getting involved in both academic and social aspects of university life.

On reflection, it's quite listy! But i was pleased with it at the time.... so fingers crossed!

This will now be appearing in the offers personal statement thread, as i just got one of ABB!

yAy

x
Reply 84
Welcome to the club! :gthumb: :nuts:
Congrats!!

Latest

Trending

Trending