The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
Have you formally withdrawn from your msc yet? Perhaps instead of withdrawing you could simply suspend it and go back to it when you feel better. I know other people in this thread have suspended their uni courses - it would be a shame for you to have put so much effort into the project etc and then write it off without getting anything from it.

Thanks for responding btw. I'm glad somebody was kind enough to read all that.

I could but bare in mind I was already supposed to have sat them last year, I can't defer it into a third year. I'm sure the university is probably getting p*ssed off with me as it is handing in sicknotes/deferring etc.

I think I just need a clean slate and maybe start again a different msc with some help under my belt and new direction and new sense of actually enjoying life.

There are so many other factors at the moment contributing to my depression. I'm sure if I were to see a doctor I would be diagnosed with quite severe depression at this moment. Sure of it.

It really gets me down and I'm struggling to get up in the mornings, eat properly etc.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Thanks for responding btw. I'm glad somebody was kind enough to read all that.

I could but bare in mind I was already supposed to have sat them last year, I can't defer it into a third year. I'm sure the university is probably getting p*ssed off with me as it is handing in sicknotes/deferring etc.

I think I just need a clean slate and maybe start again a different msc with some help under my belt and new direction and new sense of actually enjoying life.

There are so many other factors at the moment contributing to my depression. I'm sure if I were to see a doctor I would be diagnosed with quite severe depression at this moment. Sure of it.

It really gets me down and I'm struggling to get up in the mornings, eat properly etc.

Not a problem, tbh I'm sorry I couldn't suggest anything further.

Fair enough if you can't defer again, that sucks, but I think you might be thinking along the right lines with perhaps starting a new msc - when you're feeling better of course. I also got a 2:2 and I'm doing a masters to try and make up for my poor undergrad performance, I think employers will probably overlook the undergrad if you can replace it with something better.

If you think you're depressed, is there a reason you haven't already seen a doctor about it? I thought from your last post that since you're seeing a therapist that you had already seen a doctor.
I'm actually feeling quite hopeless right now. Amongst other (probably more important) things, I still feel a bit crap about being single. I honestly feel like a true romantic relationship with someone real is never gonna happen to me; that those things only happen to other people or in my dreams, but never to me in real life. Sometimes I feel like it's a fault in me, sometimes I even feel like it's a fault in other people people for not appreciating me enough. Either way I feel like I'm in a crap position. I really wish I could take something or do something to stop myself desiring a boyfriend and feeling jealous of other people. Then it would hurt less :sigh:
Reply 863
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I'm actually feeling quite hopeless right now. Amongst other (probably more important) things, I still feel a bit crap about being single. I honestly feel like a true romantic relationship with someone real is never gonna happen to me; that those things only happen to other people or in my dreams, but never to me in real life. Sometimes I feel like it's a fault in me, sometimes I even feel like it's a fault in other people people for not appreciating me enough. Either way I feel like I'm in a crap position. I really wish I could take something or do something to stop myself desiring a boyfriend and feeling jealous of other people. Then it would hurt less :sigh:

I feel the same, never actually had a proper, long lasting relationship with a guy and I ache for one a lot. I just want someone who cares for me and is there when I need them most and can give the best hugs. I don't have too much problem getting with guys on nights out etc. and I don't think I'm that undesirable but there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there who wants anything more longer lasting.

I really liked a guy a while back who is now my best friend and I can never imagine us being together in that way anymore because we are so alike that it just seems weird now, even hugging him is weird! But anyway he is now going out with one of my other closest friends and they are so good for each other and just seeing what they have together, even though I love them both so much, makes it hurt even more because I just wish I had something like they do with each other.

If you think you're depressed, is there a reason you haven't already seen a doctor about it? I thought from your last post that since you're seeing a therapist that you had already seen a doctor.

I haven't seen a doctor yet, I'm seeing the student councillor on tuesday afternoon. I just need to get the ball rolling.

I put it off for so long because I was too afraid to talk about it. I didn't think there was a problem. I used to think society thought the way I did but covered it up better. Now I'm not so sure, if I had depression then it was milder. It certainly got worse now.

If I withdraw from the msc I'm basically going to have to say I did nothing for the two years and not mention it, or do another msc if/when my head is ever right.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I haven't seen a doctor yet, I'm seeing the student councillor on tuesday afternoon. I just need to get the ball rolling.

I put it off for so long because I was too afraid to talk about it. I didn't think there was a problem. I used to think society thought the way I did but covered it up better. Now I'm not so sure, if I had depression then it was milder. It certainly got worse now.

If I withdraw from the msc I'm basically going to have to say I did nothing for the two years and not mention it, or do another msc if/when my head is ever right.

Oh right ok, good luck with the student councillor.

For what it's worth, from what you've said here, it does sound like you could be suffering from depression. When I was at school I thought everyone felt the same as me as well but I got to uni and realized that actually they don't; most people don't feel awful most of the time, everyday activities aren't a massive chore and generally people don't think of death every day. There's no shame in going to a doctor. If you're worried you'll miss **** out or do a bad job of explaining then maybe you could write everything down first - then you either just read it off or hand it to him. That way you'll get help with how you feel.
Head is still really messed up. Thanks for the messages people wrote me, sorry I haven't replied (wouldn't know what to say :s-smilie:).
Original post by superwolf
Head is still really messed up. Thanks for the messages people wrote me, sorry I haven't replied (wouldn't know what to say :s-smilie:).

:hugs:

You should order a pizza. :yep:
:hugs:

You should order a pizza. :yep:

Don't think pizza's gonna help. :sad:
Reply 869

:hugs: Listen to some music?

:eek2:

But.....pizza....

You can talk to me on skype if you want?
Original post by AmiB
I feel the same, never actually had a proper, long lasting relationship with a guy and I ache for one a lot. I just want someone who cares for me and is there when I need them most and can give the best hugs. I don't have too much problem getting with guys on nights out etc. and I don't think I'm that undesirable but there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there who wants anything more longer lasting.

I really liked a guy a while back who is now my best friend and I can never imagine us being together in that way anymore because we are so alike that it just seems weird now, even hugging him is weird! But anyway he is now going out with one of my other closest friends and they are so good for each other and just seeing what they have together, even though I love them both so much, makes it hurt even more because I just wish I had something like they do with each other.

:hugs: The same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago at school. I became really good friends with this guy, who I quickly grew a massive crush on, but I didn't bother saying anything to him as I thought we we better as friends and I didn't want to make things awkward. We used to hang out with this mutual female friend of ours because we had all the same classes. He was always closer to her though, until one day they were suddenly an item, which shocked cos I wasn't expecting it, but it also upset me with jealousy. Jealous because I wanted a boyfriend and didn't have one, and also jealous because I liked him but he was with her. So yeah, I get how you feel. Hopefully what they say is true in that our day will come eventually.
Original post by AmiB
:hugs: Listen to some music?

Listening to music, but the kind that's only gonna make me feel worse. :redface:

:eek2:

But.....pizza....

You can talk to me on skype if you want?

Don't think I can face actually talking to anybody. Might PM you in a bit though.
Thanks for the post and the :hugs:. I eventually managed to log off at around 4am, and woke up about 10:30am, so got about 6 and a bit hours of sleep which isn't too bad I suppose. Will probably nod off again later though.

On some nights I do go downstairs to sleep on the sofa with the TV on in the background as distraction from my thoughts (I don't have a TV in my room so this is the only alternative for now), and then might later come back to my room when more tired because my bed is comfier than the sofa :p:. Also playing video games on my mum's iPad or my Nintendo DS kinda helps a little :smile:.

And yeah, I also worry that I'm spoiling my laptop a bit by using so much. I'm already having to charge the battery more frequently than I used to when I got it brand new last December, and the same thing happened to my last laptop too, which eventually broke down and stopped turning on at all :erm:. I think I want to try and set some restriction on my internet browser that stops me from being able to use it at certain times, cos I am so bad at disciplining myself :o:. Although, I did try this with StayFocusd but it wouldn't work for some reason :erm:

that's okay :smile: well, some sleep is better than none for sure!

ah, I do that too sometimes, just leave my TV or radio on, I find is comforting to hear other peoples voices for some reason! video games make a good distraction for sure :yep: I have far too many of them myself so I know :smile:

yeah, my old one I just had on constantly and it was always really hot cause the battery was in constant use :colondollar: is best to try and shut it down whenever you can or it will get pretty grumpy lol, that might be a good idea yeah but im not sure how you do that? maybe disable the router or something? I am awful at getting myself to things like that as well so your not alone in that, oh is that like software that does it or something?

I hope you are okay?, if you ever need to talk I can give you my MSN addy cause I have that on my iPhone now so should be online most of the time :tongue: :smile: :hugs:
Reply 874
:hugs: The same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago at school. I became really good friends with this guy, who I quickly grew a massive crush on, but I didn't bother saying anything to him as I thought we we better as friends and I didn't want to make things awkward. We used to hang out with this mutual female friend of ours because we had all the same classes. He was always closer to her though, until one day they were suddenly an item, which shocked cos I wasn't expecting it, but it also upset me with jealousy. Jealous because I wanted a boyfriend and didn't have one, and also jealous because I liked him but he was with her. So yeah, I get how you feel. Hopefully what they say is true in that our day will come eventually.

Yeah well I ended up being the one trying to get them together in the end because I was kind of in denial about how I felt about him but that was quite a while back and now that I have got to know him so well I can see that it would never have worked and I am so much happier just being friends with him.

He is also going through a similar thing and he and my other friend (also his gf) were the ones who persuaded me to go see the gp in the first place. At the moment we are both not taking our exams and both on the happy pills whilst everyone around us is busy revising so we are spending quite a lot of time together.

Recently her friends have been expressing concern to her about the amount of time that I spend with him and he was the one who told me this. It doesn't seem to bother him or her in the slightest because they both understand we are just really good friends who understand what each other is going through but it worries me because I don't want her (who is also a really good friend) to get angry at me or anything so I think I am going to talk to her tonight about it. Not exactly sure what I am going to say but I want to see whether she thinks I spend too much time with him and whether it bothers her or not.
Reply 875
Listening to music, but the kind that's only gonna make me feel worse. :redface:

This is a song I sometimes listen to on repeat when I am feeling really bad, see what you think, same goes for everyone :beard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7GRbjtL6o

'It hurts just to wake up whenever you're wearing thin.

Alone on the outside, so tired of looking in.

The end is uncertain and I've never been so afraid but I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope and that makes me feel brave...'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AmiB
Yeah well I ended up being the one trying to get them together in the end because I was kind of in denial about how I felt about him but that was quite a while back and now that I have got to know him so well I can see that it would never have worked and I am so much happier just being friends with him.

He is also going through a similar thing and he and my other friend (also his gf) were the ones who persuaded me to go see the gp in the first place. At the moment we are both not taking our exams and both on the happy pills whilst everyone around us is busy revising so we are spending quite a lot of time together.

Recently her friends have been expressing concern to her about the amount of time that I spend with him and he was the one who told me this. It doesn't seem to bother him or her in the slightest because they both understand we are just really good friends who understand what each other is going through but it worries me because I don't want her (who is also a really good friend) to get angry at me or anything so I think I am going to talk to her tonight about it. Not exactly sure what I am going to say but I want to see whether she thinks I spend too much time with him and whether it bothers her or not.

OK, well good luck with speaking with your friend. She sounds pretty understanding so hopefully it'll go well :yy:

The funny things about my situation is, that the 2 friends broke up eventually and then I somehow got with him (not that I was planning on jumping right in or anything - another friend of mine was really trying to set us up together and turned out that he did want to go out with me!). But it turned out to be a bit of a mess anyway, in that even though I really fancied him, I was so crap at being his girlfriend - I was really love-shy and not acting as affectionately as I should have been (part of the reason why I think I'm some sort of freak...). I think this eventually led to us breaking up, and I hate that this was the last and only relationship I've ever had, and it was over 4 years ago now! It's just annoying that I've still not had the chance to learn from my mistakes there and do better in a new relationship, because I can't even seem to get into a new relationship anyway :sigh:

Original post by SciFiBoy
that's okay :smile: well, some sleep is better than none for sure!

ah, I do that too sometimes, just leave my TV or radio on, I find is comforting to hear other peoples voices for some reason! video games make a good distraction for sure :yep: I have far too many of them myself so I know :smile:

yeah, my old one I just had on constantly and it was always really hot cause the battery was in constant use :colondollar: is best to try and shut it down whenever you can or it will get pretty grumpy lol, that might be a good idea yeah but im not sure how you do that? maybe disable the router or something? I am awful at getting myself to things like that as well so your not alone in that, oh is that like software that does it or something?

I hope you are okay?, if you ever need to talk I can give you my MSN addy cause I have that on my iPhone now so should be online most of the time :tongue: :smile: :hugs:

I've been having this habit of hibernating my computer all the time instead of shutting it down, because I want to preserve all my open tabs and windows as they were in the previous session. But now I'm starting to worry about the negative affect it might be having, I'm trying to properly shut it down all the time now, or at least at the end of the day anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)

I've been having this habit of hibernating my computer all the time instead of shutting it down, because I want to preserve all my open tabs and windows as they were in the previous session. But now I'm starting to worry about the negative affect it might be having, I'm trying to properly shut it down all the time now, or at least at the end of the day anyway.

ah, yeah I know what you mean, I have Chrome so it comes up with a thing where I can open recently closed tabs anyway so makes that easier, you can bookmark stuff as well :smile: I am trying to do much the same with my new laptop too, largely cause it's super cool and I want to be extra sure it is okay!
Wish I could make myself get up and do something. Been lying here for hours with my horrible thoughts, somehow failing to magically feel better. :rolleyes:
Reply 879
Original post by AmiB
This is a song I sometimes listen to on repeat when I am feeling really bad, see what you think, same goes for everyone :beard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7GRbjtL6o

'It hurts just to wake up whenever you're wearing thin.

Alone on the outside, so tired of looking in.

The end is uncertain and I've never been so afraid but I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope and that makes me feel brave...'

:lol: Owl City used to be some of my manic music.

I love how music does that - talks to different people differently :h:

Latest