AQA Economics 18th May 2012 Unit 1 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by venenecinema
It was supposedly -1.33

I worked it out to be 2? Are you sure?
Reply 381
Original post by Jakeeyy
My essay intro was so bad. Said it was a public good and like wrote 2 more lines haha. And my conclusion was rushed but i tried to make it decent, what did you put in the 12 marker?

I said it was a public good in my 25 marker too and based my whole answer around it... thing is it became so obvious it was a merit good after I left. Just feel so awful about it now! :frown:
Reply 382
Reply 383
Original post by ineedtorevise127
isnt the chemical fertilisers the right answer for land

Im sure that comes under capital unfortunately
Reply 384
Original post by ineedtorevise127
isnt the chemical fertilisers the right answer for land

Nope, chemical fertilisers is capital
Reply 385
Original post by Robbanner

I'm quite sure it was -1.33, although that was pretty confusing at the start because I got -2 initially and then realised that I was wrong :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MHay
I did pretty much the same, but merged adv's and disadv's into 2 separate paragraphs instead of one then the other. Did the taxation diagram just to give an example of one policy to account for -ve externalities.

I just used taxation as an example of government failure because I assumed the demand was price inelastic which meant the taxation would have no effect on the amount supplied/demanded, plus someone must collect the tax that the government has to pay which is an example of misallocation of resources.

There's so many different interpretations from everyone

I'm not 100% but I put -1.33 and most people seem to have put that.
Reply 388
Original post by mindlessvandalism
I just used taxation as an example of government failure because I assumed the demand was price inelastic which meant the taxation would have no effect on the amount supplied/demanded, plus someone must collect the tax that the government has to pay which is an example of misallocation of resources.

Yeah, taxation wouldn't work because of the inelasticity of demand of coal. Therefore it wouldn't reduce consumption by much, but an advantage to this would be that the govt. would receive more in tax to spend etc...
Original post by mindlessvandalism

Yes, I said the same thing about elasticity, that should gain some decent analysis/evaluation marks.

It was definitely 2 because it was -2.00
There was a 25% increase and a 50% increase
-2 x 50 = 25
Reply 391
Original post by studentroo
For the 1st question on mining.

I put for the 25 marker negative externalities. I drew a negative externalities of production diagram with MPC greater than MSC. Mining is a negative externality. I then defined negative externalities etc.

I then talked about what would happen if the government didn't intervene, i.e. environment will become perhaps so bad that it could not be cleaned up! Firms will be doing whatever they wish, i.e. polluting lakes.

I then went on to say what government intervention could happen i.e. maximum pricing, reducing the incentive to mine for rare-earth metals as China can not price the metals at whatever it wants, this decreases its profits. Regulations, i.e. banning pollution in rivers and a certain amount of pollution can be released. Pollution permits could be used to benefit firms who do not pollute as they can sell pollution permits who need it. However, there will be an incentive for firms to decrease pollution as their costs will decrease.

Throughout it all I evaluated and concluded at the end.

Don't you mean drawing the diagram with MSC greater than MPC to represent negative externalities?
Reply 392

I think I put 2 as well.
Reply 393
Original post by Bourbons&Nutella
It was definitely 2 because it was -2.00
There was a 25% increase and a 50% increase
-2 x 50 = 25

Yeah it was +2.
Original post by Jakeeyy
I know it was a merit good, i said i did that as a mistake, but there can still be free riders, hence the waiting lists. And the graph, sure it was how i shown ages ago. Not done health care for like a year and a half now..

Well the free rider concept means people consume without paying. With UK healthcare, nobody pays. But that's a small point.

You could be right, I just don't see how supply is perfectly inelastic. Healthcare provision can easily be increased. Your example with olympic tickets is completely different.
Reply 395
Original post by lemongrass
I did.. But got lost as soon as you said all your curves were horizontal? :tongue:

I can't picture what your diagram would look like.

lolol meant diagonal now try again XD
no, 15 to 10 is 33 percent down
Anyone else think it was actually pretty easy? :smartass:
Reply 398

I also worked it out to be 2. so very confused!
Reply 399
Original post by lemongrass
Well the free rider concept means people consume without paying. With UK healthcare, nobody pays. But that's a small point.

You could be right, I just don't see how supply is perfectly inelastic. Healthcare provision can easily be increased. Your example with olympic tickets is completely different.

People do pay through taxation. And healthcare is quasi-public for anyone who's interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending