The Student Room Group

how to get all A*s in my a levels

i'm doing economics, business and sociology and its so close to exams but i'm not sure how to revise in order to get all A*s
Economics exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
Economics exam board?

edexcel a
Original post by elinaa-1
i'm doing economics, business and sociology and its so close to exams but i'm not sure how to revise in order to get all A*s

what u working at now?
Reply 4
Original post by propergoodman
what u working at now?

i got an A* in my mocks but i cheated for one of the papers
i got an A* in my mocks but i cheated for one of the papers

Bruh. Do past papers for economics - or just focus on the essays if you cba to do the whole paper since those are the most important components of the paper. Even if you don't get the essays you revised for, you're likely to have one of the smaller questions that reflect one of your practice essays. 18th May.
Reply 6
Bruh. Do past papers for economics - or just focus on the essays if you cba to do the whole paper since those are the most important components of the paper. Even if you don't get the essays you revised for, you're likely to have one of the smaller questions that reflect one of your practice essays. 18th May.

okay so i've done all the past papers kind of, now if i make flashcards on every single question i got wrong and memorise them, will that help?
okay so i've done all the past papers kind of, now if i make flashcards on every single question i got wrong and memorise them, will that help?

Yeah, should do. Try doing some of AQA's economics questions if you're done with Edexcel past papers.
Reply 8
Yeah, should do. Try doing some of AQA's economics questions if you're done with Edexcel past papers.

so when i'm good at all of the edexcel papers, does that mean im on track for an A*?
Great to aim for the top. Don't be disappointed if you don't get exactly what you are hoping for because it is a very tall order and very few people do it.

You've had some good advice in this thread so far.

One very important thing people don't mention - have good routines for sleeping and eating.
Eat regular, healthy meals at consistent times each day.
Get a good amount of sleep each night, no screen time for 45 mins before bed.
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
Great to aim for the top. Don't be disappointed if you don't get exactly what you are hoping for because it is a very tall order and very few people do it.

You've had some good advice in this thread so far.

One very important thing people don't mention - have good routines for sleeping and eating.
Eat regular, healthy meals at consistent times each day.
Get a good amount of sleep each night, no screen time for 45 mins before bed.

thank you! i feel like a lot of private school kids get all A*s and i want to be like them; i definitely have the motivation but i just keep procrastinating :/
so when i'm good at all of the edexcel papers, does that mean im on track for an A*?

Economics is all about the exam technique; if you've got the exam technique down, then yes, you can probably get an A*. You should be marking the past papers you do under timed conditions if you haven't been doing so already, since that'll be a pretty good indicator of what level you're working at.
Reply 12
Economics is all about the exam technique; if you've got the exam technique down, then yes, you can probably get an A*. You should be marking the past papers you do under timed conditions if you haven't been doing so already, since that'll be a pretty good indicator of what level you're working at.

true! thank youu
true! thank youu

No problem :smile:
Reply 14

Heya!
What are you currently getting? Are you doing practice questions and then going through the mark schemes to identify why you are losing marks? Do practice questions under exam conditions and then mark yourself, see if there is a specific reason you are losing marks and note down how you can improve your marks for next time! If it helps, Study Mind has free resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
thank you! i feel like a lot of private school kids get all A*s and i want to be like them; i definitely have the motivation but i just keep procrastinating :/

So last year, fewer than 9000 people got 3 A and A* grades at A Level (source). We know that 14.6% of all A Level entries were awarded A* and 21.8% were awarded an A grade. (source) From that, I can work out that about 40 000 people got at least 1 A* at A Level. A very crude calculation tells me that about 859 people got 3 A*s at A level, out of a total of around 276 000 people taking A Levels last year. A rate of about 0.003% of people in the country.

The point I'm making is - great to aim for that, but don't be disappointed if you're not in the highest achieving 0.003% of the country. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
What are you currently getting? Are you doing practice questions and then going through the mark schemes to identify why you are losing marks? Do practice questions under exam conditions and then mark yourself, see if there is a specific reason you are losing marks and note down how you can improve your marks for next time! If it helps, Study Mind has free resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

i'm currently working at AAA but recently i have been slacking with the revision, although I have completed most past papers for my subjects. I'll definitely check study mind out, thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
So last year, fewer than 9000 people got 3 A and A* grades at A Level (source). We know that 14.6% of all A Level entries were awarded A* and 21.8% were awarded an A grade. (source) From that, I can work out that about 40 000 people got at least 1 A* at A Level. A very crude calculation tells me that about 859 people got 3 A*s at A level, out of a total of around 276 000 people taking A Levels last year. A rate of about 0.003% of people in the country.

The point I'm making is - great to aim for that, but don't be disappointed if you're not in the highest achieving 0.003% of the country. :wink:

thank you for putting it into perspective! I just assumed that achieving three A*s is achievable because of how many of my private school friends have been predicted three A*s
thank you for putting it into perspective! I just assumed that achieving three A*s is achievable because of how many of my private school friends have been predicted three A*s
I'd say you're 10x more likely to get those predicted grades on UCAS than achieved grades on Results day. You can be capable of A* level stuff and not quite reach it on your exams. :smile:

Once again, no problem to aim for - but no pressure to achieve it please.

Quick Reply

Latest