The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 18th May 2012 Unit 1 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I made a really stupid error on the 8 mark question, for the two points of comparison I said demand and supply peaked in 2012 and gave the range from 2000 to 2012 only realizing as my paper was being collected in that they were the forcasted values :frown: Would I even get 1 or 2 marks or end up with 0 :frown:
Reply 781
You mean you 'data trawled' ? You should still get 2 marks

Along as you put in the dates and data

My first point was the general trend
And second was the highest point and lowest point
Original post by Mystic Creature
Hey guys :smile:

I did context 1 about mining activities. What one of the extracts was effectively saying was that the high prices placed by monopolies could be beneficial to the market in that mining companies in other countries will have an incentive to put down their prices and so competition will increase.

I kinda misinterpreted the question and started talking about how the higher prices could mean the actual monopolies will generate higher profits and so will be able to relocate, and in this way, competition will increase in terms of that China won't have as great of a market share. :s-smilie:

I did explain and evaluate neg externalities so that is fine. But what I wanted to know is that even though I misinterpreted what the extract was saying, will I still get marks for it? Do you think that I'll get marks for the argument I made? I did talk about how allocative/productive efficiency can be achieved if left to market forces, so I guess I'll get marks there, but do you see me getting marks anywhere else in that little part of queestion 4?

Thanks, I know it's a lot to ask, but if someone could give me some feedback, that would be amazing :smile:

I did similar to you, and so did quite a few people; I think it's correct. Also, there are many interpretations and tangents you can go on.

I talked about free markets vs. government intervention - talking about legislation/taxes/permits/regulations (and regulatory capture), etc... and compared it to free markets where external costs (externalities) are not takes into account, and also natural monopolies occurring.

I kind of wrote similar to you, and it seems fine, as long as you argued between intervention and free markets.
Reply 783
I got 21/25 losing 3 marks in the last 5 questions :frown:
Reply 784
Original post by Ecomax
You mean you 'data trawled' ? You should still get 2 marks

Along as you put in the dates and data

My first point was the general trend
And second was the highest point and lowest point

I used the data incorrectly by saying demand and supply peaked at 2012 at however many tonnes when that was just a forecast of demand and supply and I included the forecasted dates in my data for the general trend, saying it rose from whatever it was in 2000 to 2012, really worried I could have lost 8 marks on such a stupid misreading of an extract :frown:
Original post by GSB
I used the data incorrectly by saying demand and supply peaked at 2012 at however many tonnes when that was just a forecast of demand and supply and I included the forecasted dates in my data for the general trend, saying it rose from whatever it was in 2000 to 2012, really worried I could have lost 8 marks on such a stupid misreading of an extract :frown:

I did the beginning and end and did it all the way to 2012, but mentioned that the end values were forecasts.
Reply 786
Original post by IChooseThisName
I did the beginning and end and did it all the way to 2012, but mentioned that the end values were forecasts.

Yeah thats what I should of done :frown: Hopefully I can at least get two marks
Original post by GSB
Yeah thats what I should of done :frown: Hopefully I can at least get two marks

To be honest, you should get at least 4 out of the 8 marks. Then the other 4 marks depends on the examiner's mood really :tongue:
Original post by IChooseThisName
I did similar to you, and so did quite a few people; I think it's correct. Also, there are many interpretations and tangents you can go on.

I talked about free markets vs. government intervention - talking about legislation/taxes/permits/regulations (and regulatory capture), etc... and compared it to free markets where external costs (externalities) are not takes into account, and also natural monopolies occurring.

I kind of wrote similar to you, and it seems fine, as long as you argued between intervention and free markets.

Ahh makes me feel better, phew! Yeah I did talk about both sides so should be fine. Ill be over the moon with like 20/25 for the last part :biggrin: grade boundaries are nomrmally pretty low so :crossedf:
Reply 789
Original post by TheCommunique
Haha, loads are saying its a "fish in the ocean" - in retrospect you could say that the fish is the fisherman's "land" - I'm still not able to understand how though!

I think apart from one-two MCQs, the rest were really easy! I chose Context 2 as I thought it was more accessible - overall, my paper was good (I think, hopefully my evaluation was satisfactory). However I do agree with you on the fact that it was definitely much different as compared to the past papers I solved, I think the way parts (c) and (d) of teh DRQ were framed was quite unexpected!

Which context did you choose?

Hopefully Unit 2 will be more straightforward!

And good luck for Unit 2 :smile:

The first part of the MCQ section was okay, it got slightly trickier towards the end but was definitely easier than some of the previous years. The two contexts were very different to the past papers I looked at. I probably lost a lot of marks in Section B. Good luck for ECON2 too!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 790
Original post by Mystic Creature
To be honest, you should get at least 4 out of the 8 marks. Then the other 4 marks depends on the examiner's mood really :tongue:

Yeah it would be nice to get 4, thanks for kind words :smile:
Reply 791
For q3 on the second context on the NHS I wrote
scarce resources are defined as items that are finite in supply, cant remember what else? How many marks? 3 or 4?
Also for q3 I showed demand shifting outwards and then showing excess demand from the original equilibrium but without supply shifting. I wrote quite a good explanation, could I still get 12 marks? Thanks all!
Reply 792
Guys please help, I'm a bit worried haha !
Reply 793
Original post by Hackett
Except is was 15 to 10 not 10 to 50.

so it was 33% fall in the demand.

No it was not. Read the question next time.
Original post by Omer-

Yes it was. Go to page 26 somebody has uploaded the paper. Supply reduced causing a reduction in the Quantity demanded from 15 to 10. Using a calculator will lead you to the conclusion that the reduction in demand is 33.33%, meaning the PeD is -1.3332, which you round to -1.33 and there you have the correct answer.

I suggest you read the question next time, because you got it wrong.
Reply 795
Original post by Omer-

Errr, yet it was.Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 14.43.43.png
Reply 796
For the 5 marker for the first essay, I defined 'factors of production' as the factors which influence production e.g land labour capital and enterprise. I put that these factors influence how efficient a firm is at making a particular amount of goods/services.

Would that have got me 5 marks? :s-smilie:
Original post by GSB
Yeah it would be nice to get 4, thanks for kind words :smile:

I don't think it will matter at all. I did the range from 2000 to 2012 and didn't mention that the last values were forecasts, I just said how much they change over time. It is literally just a data comparison and therefore you should be fine.
Reply 798
Can you answer my question for me guys please :L
Reply 799
^^ hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get 12 ..
As your first definition was 'scarce resources' you'll get no marks for that as you already defined it in the first part of the context

However with a correct second definition you could still land 10 marks .. I'm still unsure on the correct diagram but along as you have labelled all of your axis and curves you can still get 4 marks just from the diagram .. A quote from the extracts could also get you two marks as well

I would expect up to 10 marks for what you've done, but if your explanation was good possibly more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending