The Student Room Group

Proton n.m.r question f335 january 2012

Q. 1 (c) (iii) Predict the proton NMR spectrum for methanol by completing the table below.

I'm just unsure as to why the splitting of both types of proton is 'none'? Surely one would be a doublet and the other a quartet, or have I got the n+1 rule mixed up? :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by mimsicle
Q. 1 (c) (iii) Predict the proton NMR spectrum for methanol by completing the table below.

I'm just unsure as to why the splitting of both types of proton is 'none'? Surely one would be a doublet and the other a quartet, or have I got the n+1 rule mixed up? :confused:

OH protons do not couple, otherwise you would be right.
Reply 2
Original post by clownfish
OH protons do not couple, otherwise you would be right.

Ah I see, looking back on my notes that is correct :tongue: But why would that cause both peaks to be single? Sorry just a little confused with this topic, thanks though!
Reply 3
Original post by mimsicle
Ah I see, looking back on my notes that is correct :tongue: But why would that cause both peaks to be single? Sorry just a little confused with this topic, thanks though!

As the methyl group is unable to couple to the OH, so the methyl group is a singlet and the OH group is a singlet.
Reply 4
Original post by clownfish
As the methyl group is unable to couple to the OH, so the methyl group is a singlet and the OH group is a singlet.

Got it, thanks again! :smile:
Reply 5
Hiya - sorry to be a pain, but I don't have notes on what you described above..
Why is it that the methyl group cannot couple with the -OH?

Thank you!
Original post by IzzWizz22
Hiya - sorry to be a pain, but I don't have notes on what you described above..
Why is it that the methyl group cannot couple with the -OH?

Thank you!

The hydrogens of alcohol groups are involved in hydrogen bonding to varying degrees within the whole bulk structure.

This spreads out the effect of coupling and makes the coupled signals too broad and diffuse. They are effectively unresolvable and not seen
Reply 7
geez. why don't they write this in the books if they're going to ask a question on it!!
thanks very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest