The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry A- C7 + Ideas In Context, May 24th 2012. OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

1) methane, ethane, propane, butane
2) exothermic reaction releases energy to the surroundings (new bonds are made). The products have less energy than the surroundings. Endothermic reactions takes in energy. They happens when the bonds are broken.

1) What are the advantages of Thin layer chromatography when compared to the normal one?
2) Explain titration?
Original post by pouryia
Something which I think will come up: What are the problems with using artificial fertilizers?

It could produce pollutants which could harm the environment. The rivers can get polluted; destroying habitats.
Anyone ask more questions please
Original post by pouryia
No way it would have been a 4 mark question if it asks you to define something, 1 mark for those questions.

1) what are the 4 alkenes?

2)What is an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

1)Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane.

2) Exothermic -releases energy, the products have less energy than the reactants, and bond making releases energy.
Endothermic -the opposite (can't be arsed)
Original post by Freddy-Francis
1) methane, ethane, propane, butane
2) exothermic reaction releases energy to the surroundings (new bonds are made). The products have less energy than the surroundings. Endothermic reactions takes in energy. They happens when the bonds are broken.

1) What are the advantages of Thin layer chromatography when compared to the normal one?
2) Explain titration?

You beat me to it. What a waste of time.
Lol
Come on. I am going to sleep :biggrin:
Anyone ask more questions please

What are the esters of Glycerol and Fatty acids?

Describe Distillation

Why is Waste Biomass a more sustainable method of making ethanol than Fermentation?
Good Luck To everyone for the exam Tomorrow! Revise Well!
And what have you done for the Ideas in Context section. I've done jack **** to be honest. Better start now
Original post by bookworm786

Describe Distillation

Why is Waste Biomass a more sustainable method of making ethanol than Fermentation?

Oil an water

Distillation is the process the mixture get heated/condensed/purified. The product is collected at its boiling point in the condenser and then collected in a beaker.

i dont know the last one. Tell me asnwer
I didnt do much for pre-realease.
Good Night!
Oil an water

Distillation is the process the mixture get heated/condensed/purified. The product is collected at its boiling point in the condenser and then collected in a beaker.

i dont know the last one. Tell me asnwer

1) WRONG. Only joking. Well not really - it's fats and oils.

3) I correct myself, why does waste biomass help decrease food prices? It's because waste biomass has no other uses and would be thrown away, but there is competition in the use of feedstock for fermentation (like corn)
Reply 254
What has fertilizers got to do with our pre-release?
Original post by bookworm786

Describe Distillation

No idea

Ethanol is put into a flask and heated so it boils. The ethanol travels up the fractionating column - cooling down. Ethanol passes through a condenser to a flask. Other things such as water are not boiled so you end up with pure ethanol.

The Atom Economy of the reaction of yeast and sugar has a low atom economy due to the co2 produced. Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas. Waste Biomass
Reply 256
Good luck to anyone doing this exam tomorrow, hopefully all will go well for us. As long as there is no dynamic equilibrium (highly unlikely :frown: ), I'll be happy

Then I have a English exam in the afternoon...
Reply 257
Guys a key point, Ethene/ethane is made from crude oil.
Crude oil has a finite amount, therefore not sustainable

Hydrocarbons are made from crude oil ----they like to bring that one up a lot.
Original post by joie679
so is everyone pulling all nighters or getting a good night's rest? :P

All nighter here! - Just done 2009,2010,2011, specimen paper, got 2 wrong (without pre-release on 2009 and full marks on 2010,2011, specimen respectively! ;D
Original post by Coke1
Guys a key point, Ethene/ethane is made from crude oil.
Crude oil has a finite amount, therefore not sustainable

Hydrocarbons are made from crude oil ----they like to bring that one up a lot.

Dont forget to compare these sustainabilies with using fermentation as opposed to ethene/ethane!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending