The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adieu
Hi - does anyone know if accommodation is given out on a first-come-first-serve basis? So, those who apply quickly will take priority to those who do not?
Replies would be greatfully received!! :smile:

They don't start allocating accommodation until after people are confirmed as coming in August. I think that would make first come first serve in terms of accommodation application unlikely. This is the case for conditional offers.
(edited 11 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Midlander
Where are you travelling from? A Megabus to Dundee then another bus to St As won't be too bad cost wise :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by Kilted Kiwi
How far are you coming from?
I got a pretty cheap return on the train from Edinburgh. Websites like redspottedhanky and thetrainline are good if you book well in advance :smile:
and megabus is always amazing!

Glasgow :tongue: I was gonna get the train to leuchers then a bus to the town, I completely forgot about Megabus though! I'm gonna look into that :smile: Thank you!!
Original post by applicant20
They don't start allocating accommodation until after people are confirmed as coming in August. I think that would make first come first serve in terms of accommodation application unlikely.

Not quite right; they start giving accommodation offers to firmed unconditional candidates in July.

"Allocation begins in July for students whose offer of a place is Unconditional and who have confirmed their acceptance of this place with Admissions. Thereafter, allocations continue throughout the summer as and when final examination results are received and the status of individual UCAS applications changes from Conditional to Unconditional."
Original post by TheFOMaster
Glasgow :tongue: I was gonna get the train to leuchers then a bus to the town, I completely forgot about Megabus though! I'm gonna look into that :smile: Thank you!!

Oh come on that isn't far :tongue: Stagecoach do regular buses from Buchanan St straight to St Andrews :smile:

You can get a return from Glasgow to St Andrews for just over £13 I think on the bus. X24 from Buchanan Bus Station.
Reply 1805
Original post by Kilted Kiwi
I got an Unconditional on March 18th, but I took a gap year (well actually 2... :P) and already have all my exam results.
Hopefully you hear soon :smile:
Is it your first choice?
I'm already Firm :biggrin:

Not sure. Would be a tough decision. I'm an international student from the US. Planning a scouting trip to a few Universities in mid-April. Hoping to hear from St. Andrews before my departure...... Although the longer I wait for some type of communication from them, the less I want to attend. Waiting for their offer is affecting student aid and scholarship deadlines at other Universities. I suppose I will have another pint and wait. Tick. Tock.
Reply 1806
Original post by Helsy
No. As long as you apply before 30th June then not only are you guaranteed accommodation, but you'll also be considered equally along with everyone else. So applying early does not get you a better room.

Also, those who already have unconditional offers will find out their room earlier than those who have only conditional offers, but again it doesn't mean you have a worse room, they just can't tell you what they've reserved for you until you're unconditional. :smile:

Thank you, because I was thinking that it would be so unfair if some people had not even been given a chance to go to an open day before submitting an accommodation application! haha :smile:
From how I interpret this paragraph on their website

Student Accommodation Services do not pre-allocate accommodation to students. Allocation begins in July for students whose offer of a place is Unconditional and who have confirmed their acceptance of this place with Admissions. Thereafter, allocations continue throughout the summer as and when final examination results are received and the status of individual UCAS applications changes from Conditional to Unconditional.

they don't allocate any accommodation before the application closes, but they do allocate accommodation as you get the grades. Therefore if you have an unconditional, you're more likely to get what you wanted - but applying sooner won't make you more likely to get what you wanted.

That's how I make it out, anyway.
Original post by Simarilli
From how I interpret this paragraph on their website

Student Accommodation Services do not pre-allocate accommodation to students. Allocation begins in July for students whose offer of a place is Unconditional and who have confirmed their acceptance of this place with Admissions. Thereafter, allocations continue throughout the summer as and when final examination results are received and the status of individual UCAS applications changes from Conditional to Unconditional.

they don't allocate any accommodation before the application closes, but they do allocate accommodation as you get the grades. Therefore if you have an unconditional, you're more likely to get what you wanted - but applying sooner won't make you more likely to get what you wanted.

That's how I make it out, anyway.

There has just been a discussion about this in the accommodation thread, see here for the deetz. :smile:
Original post by Midlander
Oh come on that isn't far :tongue: Stagecoach do regular buses from Buchanan St straight to St Andrews :smile:

Original post by Ecosse_14
You can get a return from Glasgow to St Andrews for just over £13 I think on the bus. X24 from Buchanan Bus Station.

Really? Thats a lot better than I was looking at :tongue: Thanks a bunch!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1810
I have currently got an offer for maths and chemistry, but I want to do economics as the third subject for first year. I haven't really done economics at school to exam level, so will I be totally confused or will they start at the basics?

Original post by benten17
I have currently got an offer for maths and chemistry, but I want to do economics as the third subject for first year. I haven't really done economics at school to exam level, so will I be totally confused or will they start at the basics?

They'll start at the basics. I took economics at sub-honours level without any previous knowledge.

Congrats! I also have an offer for maths and chemistry! :biggrin:

Reply 1813
That's a relief!!

Original post by PapercutMagnet
Congrats! I also have an offer for maths and chemistry! :biggrin:

Well done! Are you going to accept it?

That's a relief!!

Well done! Are you going to accept it?

I'm firming Cambridge but my offer for that is quite unachievable so I'm looking into my insurances quite a lot. I'm choosing between Bath and St Andrews at the minute - I'll hopefully be able to decide after going there next week! Are you going to the open day?

Reply 1815
Original post by PapercutMagnet
I'm firming Cambridge but my offer for that is quite unachievable so I'm looking into my insurances quite a lot. I'm choosing between Bath and St Andrews at the minute - I'll hopefully be able to decide after going there next week! Are you going to the open day?

I was there on Wednesday. Out of all the Unis I've visited I loved the close community feel of St. Andrews the most! Congrats on Cambridge :smile: What have you applied for there?

I was there on Wednesday. Out of all the Unis I've visited I loved the close community feel of St. Andrews the most! Congrats on Cambridge :smile: What have you applied for there?

Thanks :smile: Natural Sciences, but Maths and Chemistry is more what I'm keen on. Where else have you applied?
Can anyone tell me if I'd have to book tickets for the X24 from Buchanan to St. Andrews? (And, how to do it if you have too :tongue:) Also, can anyone give me an idea of how long it'll take to get from Glasgow to St. Andrews on the bus, so I know when to set my alarm? :rolleyes: Thanks!
Can anyone tell me if I'd have to book tickets for the X24 from Buchanan to St. Andrews? (And, how to do it if you have too :tongue:) Also, can anyone give me an idea of how long it'll take to get from Glasgow to St. Andrews on the bus, so I know when to set my alarm? :rolleyes: Thanks!

This timetable might help:
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_29498_X24%2024%20Fife%20.pdf

It seems to take about 2 and a half hours on the bus :smile:

I doubt that you will need to book, in fact I don't think you are able to! Its just a public bus service, so just turn up :smile:
Original post by balletbryony
Yes, I received an offer of AAA yesterday. Definitely putting it as my first choice !!

great! congrats! my daughter received an offer too. but not sure yet if she will firm. visited exeter and was totally in love with campus and course. a tricky decision as st. andrews offers tradition and reputation and flexibility on the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending