The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by pollypix123
which questions should be structured as mini essays? do they need intros and conclusions? or is it just paragraphs?
thanks, pp123

only question 4 as a mini-essay!

the mini-paragraphs however should be used for question 2 and three and can be made up of 3 or 4 sentences :smile:
Original post by A193
For question4, when we compare language features from source 3, and another source, he questions is 16 marks, so do we compare/contrast 8 differnet/similar points between the two sources????????????

No, compare 4 which means 8 paragraphs (one for each source) :smile:
Reply 122
Original post by Karishma

question 4 is a comparison question so do four comparisons in four paragraphs for 8 marks.

STRUCTURE:

-Point
-Explain
-linking word. can be to contrast or describe a similarity eg, in the same way / differently
-point
-explain
-link back to question if you feel it is necessary

These paragraphs should take five minutes each, leaving you twenty minutes for question 4!

So is that
-point, quote, explain,linking,point,quite, explain, link - 1 paragraph, or 2? Like, should it cover the one point, comparing/contrasting, or 2? :-)
Original post by daniya12
it is out of 80 not 50?

Hi Daniya,

Yes, my mistake as that is the upper limit for my science exams
Reply 124
Original post by kaneboy
So is that
-point, quote, explain,linking,point,quite, explain, link - 1 paragraph, or 2? Like, should it cover the one point, comparing/contrasting, or 2? :-)

Do it like this.

Paragraph 1:
Point.
Explain.

Pargraph 2: (Start with a discourse marker: similarly, etc.)
Point
Explain.

The point should be the same.
E.g

p1 : The writer in source 3 uses a list of three
p2 : The writer in source 1 uses a list of three.

Understand?
Reply 125
does anyone have any exemplar material or a essay they wrote that got a good grade that would be realllllllly helpful! thankyou x
Reply 126
Does anybody have the mark scheme for the January 2012 AQA English Language GCSE paper?
If anybody wants that paper see below...

http://http://www.kingsdownschool.co.uk/docs/revision2012/eng/H/H%20Jan%202012%20paper.pdf

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 127
Is everyone going to read all the extracts for 15 mins or do it question by question? Which one is better, I don't want to waste time as timing f***ed me over last time.
Reply 128
Original post by Koolio
Is everyone going to read all the extracts for 15 mins or do it question by question? Which one is better, I don't want to waste time as timing f***ed me over last time.

read for as long as you need to like all the sources once then get on with it, i reckon it'll only take 10 minutes to read them if that :smile:
Reply 129
I read all q's, then read the text so i know what im looking for.
Original post by Sara_A
I got an A ( 3 marks of an A*) in my control assessment so what do i need to get in tomorrows exam for an A* overall.

I'm in pretty much the same position as you, I believe a steady A* in the exam should be good to get an A* overall. I'm worried I won't get it because I only just got an A in the mock :s-smilie:

The question I struggle most with is the first question :frown:

That usually ask "what do you learn...?" etc. That's basically retelling the story which doesn't get any marks :/ How would you go about doing this?

Reply 132
Original post by Koolio

The best advice i can give you is to, read the first question then read the first source because then you'll be thinking about the question and reading the text...then you can easily pull out the quotes... and then read the next question and source 2..........and do that for all the questions in section A. :biggrin:
Would we be allowed to bullet point some of the answers in the Reading section tomorrow?

The front of the past papers says:
You are reminded of the need for good English and clear presentation in your answers.

Do bullet-points count as bad english?
Original post by jammiedodgerlover
Would we be allowed to bullet point some of the answers in the Reading section tomorrow?

The front of the past papers says:
You are reminded of the need for good English and clear presentation in your answers.

Do bullet-points count as bad english?

tbh only ever use bullet points as a last resort if your running out of time. The examiners want well structured sentences and paragraphs but if your running out of time its your best bet to gain a couple of marks

p.s. I love Jammie Dodgers too - have you tried the chocolate ones? They taste like bourbons and are rather yummy :biggrin:
Original post by Arshii
Hi! i have my English exam on that date too, and same exam board *hi5* LOL! but, i seriously don't get how are you meant to revise for an English exam... i have done some past paper but I'm still really struggling with the time, i aint that quick writer. :afraid: also, the whole class was given a higher Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*, therefore, i will be following the same structure of the answers that the candidates had wrote... but in he/she's plan for qs.4 (comparing source 3 and source 1 or source 2) they wrote LIST - which i have no clue it means, except L means lang and S means structure I THINK! But, do you know what the I and the T mean? I'm hoping that you would know... :/ thank you... :wink:

Hi , i think i may be in the same position as you, would you be able to send me a copy of Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*? I'd appreciate it :smile: Good Luck
Reply 136
i need help with the writing section as it is my weakest man jeeezzzz can anyone help?
Original post by g.k.galloway
tbh only ever use bullet points as a last resort if your running out of time. The examiners want well structured sentences and paragraphs but if your running out of time its your best bet to gain a couple of marks

p.s. I love Jammie Dodgers too - have you tried the chocolate ones? They taste like bourbons and are rather yummy :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: I've never tried chocolate jammie dodgers before - will do at some point now thanks :L i have tried the toffee ones, however, and they're just disgusting!
Original post by mia_hilton
Hi , i think i may be in the same position as you, would you be able to send me a copy of Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*? I'd appreciate it :smile: Good Luck

WOOO its the blue person :biggrin:
Does anyone have any tips on how to do Q3, comparing two sources? I'm awful at comparing, and could do with a few tips and some help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending