The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to an easier University to get a first/ 2.1 or stay and get a third

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by everything
I'm MORSE student, so the modules we just finished were ST108 (applications of siuewfbuirgfiubreuianalysisandlinearalgebraand****) and Maths Programming, which is alright as a module, but I could really have done without it being right before exams.

The one person I know who got kicked off last year did MORSE. Awkward.
Reply 101
OP is just being a mook ><
Original post by Jamie
Consider that your friend has adapted better to university style learning and advanced maths than you.
The difference between the difficulty of two unis is not that great that a 2.1 in one is a 3rd in another.

Why not? Take a look at some differences in papers for yourself. Here is a first year maths paper from 2010 at the University of Aberystwyth: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/MA1002c-10.pdf

By contrast, here's a first year maths paper from the University of Cambridge:
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2010/Part_IA/PaperIA_2.pdf

I'm fairly sure a student who got a third in their first year of a Cambridge maths degree could get a 2.1 in the first year of an Aber maths degree working equally hard.
Reply 103
Original post by Nichrome
Why not? Take a look at some differences in papers for yourself. Here is a first year maths paper from 2010 at the University of Aberystwyth: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/MA1002c-10.pdf

I'm fairly sure a student who got a third in their first year of a Cambridge maths degree could get a 2.1 in the first year of an Aber maths degree working equally hard.

Are u sure it is the same module?:s-smilie:
Reply 104

Wooow. That Aberysiguesdfguiergibf one. It's all A-Level. And a lot of it is the same too >.<
Reply 105
Another thing of note, more about the University, but a few of our modules don't have lectures notes. Thankfully the course's society has put together revision guides for a bunch of them, but imagine if they hadn't. We'd have nothing to work from but our own notes made in lectures.

I have NEVER relied on my own notes to revise. I work much better using guides/ past papers.
Another thing of note, more about the University, but a few of our modules don't have lectures notes. Thankfully the course's society has put together revision guides for a bunch of them, but imagine if they hadn't. We'd have nothing to work from but our own notes made in lectures.

I have NEVER relied on my own notes to revise. I work much better using guides/ past papers.

It is not that I don't understand you nor that I know, that universities can be decicive on how good a person performs, but concerning this point: Don't you have a library with books? Haven't you work together with other for notes? (I mean, that is bad, but I can't imagine nobody does something about that.) Have you had the courage to ask the lecturer so much questions until you got it and had the important stuff? You have all the right to do so.
Reply 107

Mate, don't complain about lack of lecture notes.

I have been to 10 lectures max in my time at Warwick (and I'm just about to finish second year). And I'm doing fine, there are soo many resources online it's unbelievable how little extra you get from lectures.
Reply 108
Original post by miml
Mate, don't complain about lack of lecture notes.

I have been to 10 lectures max in my time at Warwick (and I'm just about to finish second year). And I'm doing fine, there are soo many resources online it's unbelievable how little extra you get from lectures.

You mean just generally online?

And how would you know what to study if you've only been to 10 lectures..?
Reply 109
It's about the one thing I can take at University where I have some natural interest in. I can work for hours on end on Photoshop/ Sony Vegas making something.

So why are you doing Maths?
Reply 110
You mean just generally online?

And how would you know what to study if you've only been to 10 lectures..?

There's currently 2 sites where you can find current and past resources for a module.

Lecturers usually email out some form of syllabus near exam time. Do past papers (if there are past papers that have been set by the current lecturer even better). Assignment sheets are almost always online, it's not too much effort to collect them from the department. I'm not saying not to go to lectures, plenty of people do and do well, plenty of people don't and do equally well. Attending lectures isn't a prerequisite for exam performance, spending lots of time practicing questions is the single best thing you can do for any maths module.
Reply 111
Original post by miml
There's currently 2 sites where you can find current and past resources for a module.

Lecturers usually email out some form of syllabus near exam time. Do past papers (if there are past papers that have been set by the current lecturer even better). Assignment sheets are almost always online, it's not too much effort to collect them from the department. I'm not saying not to go to lectures, plenty of people do and do well, plenty of people don't and do equally well. Attending lectures isn't a prerequisite for exam performance, spending lots of time practicing questions is the single best thing you can do for any maths module.

Yeah, but if you attend lectures, u have a feeling of what the lecturers questions look like, or what he thinks is important for the final exams! Not only for Maths modules, but for every single module!
Reply 112
Original post by alexkol
Yeah, but if you attend lectures, u have a feeling of what the lecturers questions look like, or what he thinks is important for the final exams! Not only for Maths modules, but for every single module!

Lecturers don't ask questions in the lectures. They simply write up their lecture notes, explain some motivation for the material, and answer questions.

There are usually revision lectures for us anyway in which the lecturer (or an assistant to the lecturer) reviews material and stresses what is important for the exam.

Most people only attend lectures because it forces them to at least look at the work, or it makes them feel like they are actually doing something academic at university. If you are happy to spend a few hours a day actually reading the notes then there is very little reason to go to the actual lecture.
Reply 113
Original post by miml
Lecturers don't ask questions in the lectures. They simply write up their lecture notes, explain some motivation for the material, and answer questions.

There are usually revision lectures for us anyway in which the lecturer (or an assistant to the lecturer) reviews material and stresses what is important for the exam.

Most people only attend lectures because it forces them to at least look at the work, or it makes them feel like they are actually doing something academic at university. If you are happy to spend a few hours a day actually reading the notes then there is very little reason to go to the actual lecture.

Our maths lecturers (I am doing an Engineering degree), usually make the lecture more interactive by asking questions.
You can also see if ie. he insists in a particular solving method or uses sth regularly.....anyway, I personally find it useful to attend lectures:biggrin:
Reply 114
Having gone to my weekly soc pub social, I do feel settled here. And I like the University besides the course. I like that it's very much it's own enclosed thing, I like that it's modern and clean. So I don't want to leave. And I hope my results are good enough that I don't feel that I have to.
Reply 115
You talk about lectures, I had a useless lecturer for Linear Algebra, didn't understand a thing. Took a look at the lecture notes... never attended a linear algebra lecture after that. And it's one of my strongest modules lol
Reply 116
I have always gone to lectures, except if the lecturer was particularly bad. Reason being that most of our lectures are pretty unintelligible. Of course occasionally you get the perfect storm of a poor lecturer and poor notes.

Actually that might be something to bear in mind - universities with good research credentials tend to attract the best researchers. Based on Cambridge there is only a slight correlation between this and lecturing ability. In some disciplines it would seem that the inverse is true! It wouldn't surprise me if universities just a little bit lower down had better lecturers.

While your point is still largely valid, I must point out that comparing one first year module's exams to judge university standards seems a bit silly. Yes Cambridge has harder first year exams, but we can only really say that Cambridge expects more from its students. Whether or not any Aber student would or would not be able to cope with the Cambridge degree (top lecturers, best resources) is a debatable topic.
Reply 118
Original post by wanderlust.xx
While your point is still largely valid, I must point out that comparing one first year module's exams to judge university standards seems a bit silly. Yes Cambridge has harder first year exams, but we can only really say that Cambridge expects more from its students. Whether or not any Aber student would or would not be able to cope with the Cambridge degree (top lecturers, best resources) is a debatable topic.

True story.
You cannot start from the same point sbd that gor an A* in maths with sbd that gor a B or C.
Furthermore, your point on the resources and the lecturers is correct, definitely the lecturers in Cambridge are far better and u have better resources and much harder competition.
Furthermore, he has to compare the final year exams, which probably won't have so many differences.

The pass marks etc are the same..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending