The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Transferring to the university of reading

I haven’t started university yet but i’m already considering transferring from the university of westminster to the university of reading after i’ve completed my first year. I have okay alevel grades but they’re not the best and when i checked through clearing the uni was already full 😭. I’m going to be starting Computer science this year and some reasons i’m thinking of switching unis is because Reading has a smaller classes so it would be easier to learn and receive help from teacher, It’s closer science i’m travelling i’d be able to cut my expenses and travel time IN HALF!!, They have a better course for what i want to do in the future and is an ever all social uni. What i want to ask is how would i go about applying later, what/ how should i go about writing my personal statement and what should i include and just overall what i should consider.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t started university yet but i’m already considering transferring from the university of westminster to the university of reading after i’ve completed my first year. I have okay alevel grades but they’re not the best and when i checked through clearing the uni was already full 😭. I’m going to be starting Computer science this year and some reasons i’m thinking of switching unis is because Reading has a smaller classes so it would be easier to learn and receive help from teacher, It’s closer science i’m travelling i’d be able to cut my expenses and travel time IN HALF!!, They have a better course for what i want to do in the future and is an ever all social uni. What i want to ask is how would i go about applying later, what/ how should i go about writing my personal statement and what should i include and just overall what i should consider.

I'm assuming you are looking to transfer from Year 1 at the University of Westminster to Year 2 at the University of Reading? I would first speak to the Admissions Tutor at the University of Reading for the BSc Computer Science programme which is currently Dr. Martin Lester and explain your reasons why you want to transfer as a 'Direct Entrant at Part 2".

The university has a Policy for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), I would encourage you to glance through the relevant parts for your studies before reaching out. This can be found at https://www.reading.ac.uk/cqsd/-/media/project/functions/cqsd/documents/qap/rpl.pdf. From memory, generally, the syllabus/modules should be as closely aligned to the respective programmes for RPL to be granted. However, the admissions tutor can advise accordingly.

Re: Your personal statement will be indifferent to the one you submitted when you first applied to the University and will add any information you will have built up in your business case by talking to the Admissions tutor, so would be a hybrid of the two.

Hope this helps!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by m.elliot
I'm assuming you are looking to transfer from Year 1 at the University of Westminster to Year 2 at the University of Reading? I would first speak to the Admissions Tutor at the University of Reading for the BSc Computer Science programme which is currently Dr. Martin Lester and explain your reasons why you want to transfer as a 'Direct Entrant at Part 2".

The university has a Policy for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), I would encourage you to glance through the relevant parts for your studies before reaching out. This can be found at https://www.reading.ac.uk/cqsd/-/media/project/functions/cqsd/documents/qap/rpl.pdf. From memory, generally, the syllabus/modules should be as closely aligned to the respective programmes for RPL to be granted. However, the admissions tutor can advise accordingly.

Re: Your personal statement will be indifferent to the one you submitted when you first applied to the University and will add any information you will have built up in your business case by talking to the Admissions tutor, so would be a hybrid of the two.

Hope this helps!

Do you think i should wait until i’ve actually started Westminster to even begin trying to transfer or should i email the Reading University CS admissions tutor now so i can know if i even have a chance ?
Reply 3
Do you think i should wait until i’ve actually started Westminster to even begin trying to transfer or should i email the Reading University CS admissions tutor now so i can know if i even have a chance ?

I don't think it will hurt to reach out at least you will know if a direct entrant application is feasible (Not all courses allow you to do it). Alternatively, have you considered deferring for the year and re-applying to Reading next year and taking a gap year?

The general process for transferring is detailed in the Transfer FAQ thread.

I would recommend contacting Reading before enrolling elsewhere. The general advice is not to enrol anywhere with the intention of transferring out, (unless you'd be happy to stay there).

Either speak to the CS dept directly or [email protected].
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
The general process for transferring is detailed in the Transfer FAQ thread.

I would recommend contacting Reading before enrolling elsewhere. The general advice is not to enrol anywhere with the intention of transferring out, (unless you'd be happy to stay there).

Either speak to the CS dept directly or [email protected].

I’ve contacted Reading through clearing for this year and they’ve told me that the course is currently full. So i’m hoping that if i apply through transfer for the next academic year there will be some spaces available. I’m still unsure on what i should do but the one thing i know is that taking a gap year isn’t in my line of scope.
I’ve contacted Reading through clearing for this year and they’ve told me that the course is currently full. So i’m hoping that if i apply through transfer for the next academic year there will be some spaces available. I’m still unsure on what i should do but the one thing i know is that taking a gap year isn’t in my line of scope.

Then so long as a transfer is your plan B then that's all you can really do. Have you asked them if they accept transfers?
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Then so long as a transfer is your plan B then that's all you can really do. Have you asked them if they accept transfers?

i emailed reading undergraduate admission around 3 days and they have yet to get back to me but due to the chaos from clearing and trying to get enrolment smoothly for their students it could be a while.
i emailed reading undergraduate admission around 3 days and they have yet to get back to me but due to the chaos from clearing and trying to get enrolment smoothly for their students it could be a while.

Yes, they'll be very busy at this time of year. There shouldn't be any rush to enrol at Westminster so I would wait for a reply in case it affects your plans.

Hey Anonymous,

Sorry you're having a bit of a stressful time!
Well done for being proactive and getting in touch with the admissions team, but I'm sorry to hear the course was already full. I would agree with the responses below, to not make any rushed decisions until you've heard back from the university as you don't want to lose your place elsewhere. Transfers will be course dependent, so you've done the absolute right thing speaking to admissions.They will be able to give you the best advice on your options.
You're right that they are super busy right now with clearing applications etc, so thank you for being so understanding! If you would like a more prompt response, you may be better off giving the team a call on +44 (0) 118 378 8372. I know this can be a super stressful time, but you're doing all the right things, so well done - try not to stress about it too much if you can, until you hear more from the uni.

Sorry I can't be much more help right now. If you have any questions do let us know, and we will try our best to help. We're wishing you all luck and hoping things work out for you!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending