The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to another major?

I'm now a biochem major student and gonna get into the third year. I've been told from many third year and fourth year student that bchm 300 level courses are pretty tough (the average are probably B- or even C+). I'm really worried about if they are gonna ruin my GPA (at about 4.0 out of 4.3). My friend suggested me to transfer to life science as their third year and fourth year courses are slightly easier than biochem. But I need to take two physiology courses and one microbiology course if I transfer to life science. I'm worried if I can do well in those courses since I got a relatively low mark in the first year physiology related course. Moreover, I hope to apply to a Master degree in the genetic field. Please give me some advice on wether I should transfer to life science.
I can only give the generic advice that don't do things that you don't like and also not good at. Final year(s) is hard and stressful, and you don't want an "unlikable" subject wear you out, because guess what, you wouldn't enjoy revising it and wouldn't get high mark anyway! So I don't think you should transfer.

If you know 3rd/ 4th year students, ask for a scan of/ borrow their notes, answer to past paper questions, books they bought (and if they already highlighted it, great!) Ask for as many as you can, offer to pay even (don't be shy, who doesn't like helping other and also earn a quick buck?)! Summarise from those notes, criticise it like you are a professor marking. That's the cheat code that help you save hours of revising time.
Reply 2
As above, pick the modules you prefer to do and you will naturally do well
Original post by D1090126
I'm now a biochem major student and gonna get into the third year. I've been told from many third year and fourth year student that bchm 300 level courses are pretty tough (the average are probably B- or even C+). I'm really worried about if they are gonna ruin my GPA (at about 4.0 out of 4.3). My friend suggested me to transfer to life science as their third year and fourth year courses are slightly easier than biochem. But I need to take two physiology courses and one microbiology course if I transfer to life science. I'm worried if I can do well in those courses since I got a relatively low mark in the first year physiology related course. Moreover, I hope to apply to a Master degree in the genetic field. Please give me some advice on wether I should transfer to life science.

Hello,

I would advice that you remain in your course, you can't transfer courses because it'd be difficult in the future. At some point, the life science course might also become difficult and you might regret your decision afterall nothing good comes easy and as long as people have passed, you should be able to as well. You should enable to try your hardest for it to not affect your GPA instead and ask the third and fourth year students on advice or materials that are needed. Anyways, I hope you make the right decision and get your desired GPA.

Benedicta
Digital Student Ambassador UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending