The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 Maths C4 1st June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by North Irelandman
Does anyone have any ideas of C4 scaling in the past? For some reason my teachers refuse to even speculate.

I was devastated after this paper, aiming for the A* but I really panicked near the end when I couldn't solve Q8. Also dropped marks in that vectors question, took it for granted when revising, and couldn't find the stat points in 5. Additionally in the first question I made a ridiculous + / - mistake which meant my part ii could only be solved using the quadratic formula, although I had working out showing the correct process until I was unable to factorise (anyone know how many marks I would lose out of 3 for this?).

Gave myself a prediction range of 50-58/75, as long as I don't get scaled down more than a mark or two I won't worry too much. But my previous maths papers have been scaled down 5-7% (from 80-90% raw) so I do worry about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What modules got you scaled down?
Original post by CD315
What modules got you scaled down?

(In percentage raw marks to UMS) Off the top of my head:
C3 was 91 to 86
C1 was 87 to 80
M1 was 85 to 79 - resat on 14th May
C2 was 77 to 73 - resitting on Friday
C4 sat last Friday
M2 next Thursday

Need 480/600 for A
Currently 318/400

M1 was not great, could go up a few UMS at best
C4 was awful, probably around 62-76 depending on scaling

Original post by North Irelandman
(In percentage raw marks to UMS) Off the top of my head:
C3 was 91 to 86
C1 was 87 to 80
M1 was 85 to 79 - resat on 14th May
C2 was 77 to 73 - resitting on Friday
C4 sat last Friday
M2 next Thursday

Need 480/600 for A
Currently 318/400

M1 was not great, could go up a few UMS at best
C4 was awful, probably around 62-76 depending on scaling

i'd like to see my raw marks, we only get given out UMS but i'm going to ask tomorrow after S1 because in Jan i'm sure i only lost 2 marks and i got 92 ums :frown:
Original post by MatthewGallagher
i'd like to see my raw marks, we only get given out UMS but i'm going to ask tomorrow after S1 because in Jan i'm sure i only lost 2 marks and i got 92 ums :frown:

We get them given to us on a thin, very processed looking page that gives raw marks, ums marks and total available ums marks (100 in Maths, 88 or 111 in Physics for example), but you can work out the %s if you know what the paper is out of in raw marks (75 maths, 90 physics again for example). I'd say that's how the school receives your results, perhaps if you asked they'd give yours out?

I have heard S1 is a very "100%" type of maths paper, actually quite jealous we don't do it :frown:
Reply 84

Which module did you resit in jan? I resat c1 and lost 2 raw marks which was 96 UMS. Did you not get a statement of results page from ccea?
Original post by Guin
Which module did you resit in jan? I resat c1 and lost 2 raw marks which was 96 UMS. Did you not get a statement of results page from ccea?

i resat c1 and c2 and sat c3 for the first time in jan.
98,95 and 92 respectively.

I didn't, we only get a ****ty a4 page with our ums and equivalent grade :frown:
s1 went a treat :smile:

you 'mirin brah?
Reply 87
Anyone started a thread for s1 yet? Really interested to see what answers people got..
Reply 88
s1 went a treat :smile:

you 'mirin brah?

Original post by Alfie1993
Anyone started a thread for s1 yet? Really interested to see what answers people got..

S1 was fantastic. Any of yous get 2/11 for p at the end?
Reply 89
Yeah I got 2/11! :smile:
Only question I wasn't sure about was q4 parts ii and iii.
Reply 90
Yeah I got 2/11! :smile:
Only question I wasn't sure about was q4 parts ii and iii.

Which one was that? Can't remember.
Reply 91
The continuous distribution. Where you had to integrate then it asked you to find values for a and b :s-smilie:
Reply 92
The continuous distribution. Where you had to integrate then it asked you to find values for a and b :s-smilie:

Oh yes, you just integrated between a and 0 and set it equal to 0.25, same with b, instead it was 0.75. Then the IQ range was the difference of a and b :smile:
Reply 93
Awh great that's what I did :smile: you don't happen to remember your answers?
Reply 94
The S1 paper was quite good today I think, especially when compared to C3 and C4. Think I did the very first question wrong in terms of finding mid-points haha.

Although it felt like there were a lot of algebra style questions: finding a, b or p.. which I didn't see so much in the past papers.
Reply 95
Awh great that's what I did :smile: you don't happen to remember your answers?

Might have been 0.836? I think there's a S1 thread formed elsewhere, maybe we should relocate :tongue:
yeah, s1 was awesome! glad they changed it up, only marks i think i've lost was q6 part 3 when the two events were independent, i should have taken the time last night to go over phrases like that and mutually exclusive instead of going to the cinema :') ah well, all in all a great paper so looks like 90+ on this module too, yay!
qub next year anyone?

and yeah, 2/11 for the last answer
Reply 97
yeah, s1 was awesome! glad they changed it up, only marks i think i've lost was q6 part 3 when the two events were independent, i should have taken the time last night to go over phrases like that and mutually exclusive instead of going to the cinema :') ah well, all in all a great paper so looks like 90+ on this module too, yay!
qub next year anyone?

and yeah, 2/11 for the last answer

Struggled with the independent bit because I forgot all the little rules. Not sure if the probability was right before that because people were saying they needed a venn diagram and I just did it using addition rule etc..
Going to qub hopefully but not to do maths :smile:
Original post by Amy563
Struggled with the independent bit because I forgot all the little rules. Not sure if the probability was right before that because people were saying they needed a venn diagram and I just did it using addition rule etc..
Going to qub hopefully but not to do maths :smile:

yeah, still an awesome paper to make up for a bitterly disappointing c4 :smile: what course you for then?
Reply 99
yeah, still an awesome paper to make up for a bitterly disappointing c4 :smile: what course you for then?

True that :smile:
Environmental Biology hopefully so only need to get a B in maths. Would be nice to get an A though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending