The Student Room Group

Buying a new classical guitar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by schenker
Tis a wonderful concerto! A point about John Williams - he uses a guitar made by Smallman, this guitar uses a new method of construction that gives him a HUGE sound. Alas you won't find many of these hanging around for sale, but if you ever decide to upgrade again there's a guy in England who uses the same methods for a very reasonable price: http://www.nicholas-scott-guitars.co.uk/

If you're within reasonable distance I recommend you have a look for a guitar through Nottingham Spanish guitar centre, you can even give them a call first to see what they can sort out for you - they're very reasonable!

Good luck, and happy guitar-ing! :biggrin:

Thanks again for the advice schenker, i'll be sure to bookmark the Nicholas scott guitar page for when i'm doing sell out shows at the bridgewater hall :biggrin:

Nottingham isn't too far from me (Cheshire) I'll make a list of all guitar shops and spend a few days testing out various guitars

thanks
Original post by schenker
Tis a wonderful concerto! A point about John Williams - he uses a guitar made by Smallman, this guitar uses a new method of construction that gives him a HUGE sound. Alas you won't find many of these hanging around for sale, but if you ever decide to upgrade again there's a guy in England who uses the same methods for a very reasonable price: http://www.nicholas-scott-guitars.co.uk/

If you're within reasonable distance I recommend you have a look for a guitar through Nottingham Spanish guitar centre, you can even give them a call first to see what they can sort out for you - they're very reasonable!

Good luck, and happy guitar-ing! :biggrin:

Fair, the Rodrigo is a strange concerto - I might even have to agree with you, though I do think something is lost in the sound when a guitar is mic-ed.

They certainly do sound better with age (within reason) - the wood settles through playing and resonates more freely!

Don't get me wrong about the harps, I don't think they sound like guitars. But from a composer's point of view if he/she wants that sort of sound why not use a harp rather than the 5-6 guitars that would be needed to punch through an orchestral forte - :frown:

Yeah the choice of mic really matters. It'd have to be a good condenser which is nice and sensitive with a wide frequency response. Def not a dynamic cos they really r for live pop mainly.
God i would have done anything to have performed that on a proper guitar tho, even tho this beaten up student guitar wasn't bad. It's such an amazing piece- no other classical piece has inspired me like that. Can't understand why no one hires out concert guitars tho! -everywhere i looked only offered student ones :jumphug:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Try to get a Ramirez. Beautiful. Sold mine when I got divorced and later purchased an Alhambra 5P.A lovely guitar but It never came close in tone and quality.

Quick Reply

Latest