The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Which are the best halls at MMU Manchester? The accommodation questions megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wildrice
ohh okay, thank you for your help though, but birley is still good accommodation it's the one I want haha, hope you still have a good time though:biggrin:

Ayy, its just expensive is all haha, and yeah man, good luck! :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by MrForestLady

thank you!! if you don't mind me asking, what did you say to them on the phone?
thank you!! if you don't mind me asking, what did you say to them on the phone?

Oh I was just kinda like, well how is it that I've just been invited to stage 2, and all the accommodation is gone, except Daisy Bank. And she said that thats just the case, but some space opened up in Birely, (I think someone must've cancelled or something) so I just took that one.
Oh I was just kinda like, well how is it that I've just been invited to stage 2, and all the accommodation is gone, except Daisy Bank. And she said that thats just the case, but some space opened up in Birely, (I think someone must've cancelled or something) so I just took that one.

ohhh right thank you! Was MMU your insurance choice? Since you got invited to stage 2 so early?
It seems decent, but I'm paying £143 a week which is kinda **** haha

Oh dear, that is quite a lot. The only thing I give to Daisy Bank is that it's marvelously cheap.
I have an ensuite and I am only paying £109 per week :biggrin:
ohhh right thank you! Was MMU your insurance choice? Since you got invited to stage 2 so early?

MMU was my first choice, and I don't think it was that early I got invited to stage 2? it was only last week, I think a lot of other people with unconditionals must've been invited ages ago
I registered my interest in April and MMU was my firm and I got confirmation at 7am on August 18th that I had been excepted. They supposedly emailed me to progress to stage 2 however I never received this email (checked inbox, spam folder and junk mail... nothing there). I had received emails from their accommodation email prior to the stage 2 email so it wasn't as if my email had viewed theirs as unsafe. Nothing bounced back to the uni however so basically I missed my spot for accommodation and was passed off to someone about private halls. Long story short, my dad complained and the accommodation team sorted it all out and I've booked a room in Daisy Bank :tongue: If anyone else is having similar sort of problems ring their accommodation line and be persistent, private halls are a ball ache trying to get!!

Which Birely accommodation did you get? I got mine this morning! I'm in Vine Birely
Which Birely accommodation did you get? I got mine this morning! I'm in Vine Birely

Ayy same! :smile: I think I'm on the 2nd floor? I can't remember exactly what flat though
Ayy same! :smile: I think I'm on the 2nd floor? I can't remember exactly what flat though

ooo I'm on the 3rd floor so maybe I'll see you in September:smile:
ooo I'm on the 3rd floor so maybe I'll see you in September:smile:

Yeah man :smile:
Original post by NIGSON
Yeah I defiantly am prepared to commute, are you from Crewe campus

Probably quicker to stay in Liverpool and commute cracking night life there.
I'm looking to study Fashion Business and Management next year at MMU but not sure about the accommodation..

From the website I like the look of Cavendish and Birley but not sure after reading mixed reviews on here. I'm looking for my own bathroom but not sure what buildings have them? I've got my own car too so would love parking but can't see anything on the website about that. I'd like to be somewhere lively but not too rowdy (I've heard Cambridge is a nightmare) and Daisy Bank seems too far from campus.

Also how does payment work? On the site it's advertised as weekly but does the money just come out your account every month or at the end of term or what?

If anyone could give a little bit of advice that'd be great! :smile:
Original post by Nicolepodger
I'm looking to study Fashion Business and Management next year at MMU but not sure about the accommodation..

From the website I like the look of Cavendish and Birley but not sure after reading mixed reviews on here. I'm looking for my own bathroom but not sure what buildings have them? I've got my own car too so would love parking but can't see anything on the website about that. I'd like to be somewhere lively but not too rowdy (I've heard Cambridge is a nightmare) and Daisy Bank seems too far from campus.

Also how does payment work? On the site it's advertised as weekly but does the money just come out your account every month or at the end of term or what?

If anyone could give a little bit of advice that'd be great! :smile:

If your after your own room w/ parking i'd suggest Oxford Court. I stayed there in first year, its kind of russian roulette whether you get a lively flat/block or the complete opposite. Some blocks are very lively and others are completely dead. Birley is without doubt the nicest halls and are fairly lively, very expensive though. There are various payment methods, most people pay three instalments throughout the year as did I. Not sure if you can pay monthly.
Original post by TSR1995
If your after your own room w/ parking i'd suggest Oxford Court. I stayed there in first year, its kind of russian roulette whether you get a lively flat/block or the complete opposite. Some blocks are very lively and others are completely dead. Birley is without doubt the nicest halls and are fairly lively, very expensive though. There are various payment methods, most people pay three instalments throughout the year as did I. Not sure if you can pay monthly.

thanks! i actually just went to the open day and checked out the accommodation - cavendish place/birley seems to be the nicest but a lot to think about money wise :erm:
Are the Birley flats/townhouse all girls/all boys or are they mixed?
Original post by evemckenna
Are the Birley flats/townhouse all girls/all boys or are they mixed?

Hey :smile:

You can choose if you want to move in with all girls/boys or move into a mixed gendered flat/townhouse ^^
Starting in 2017 and want a good social experience! however don't want to go into cambridge halls although they are known for the best social aspects. What other halls are social? was thinking about Birley but worried it won't be great for partys?
I'm currently staying at daisy bank, and honestly it's great. I would suggest you don't worry about distance bexcuse 1- it's a 30 minutes bus ride which you don't pay for, and 2- you might as well get used to commuting to uni as your second year home won't be anywhere near uni
Original post by Sophie_c98
Starting in 2017 and want a good social experience! however don't want to go into cambridge halls although they are known for the best social aspects. What other halls are social? was thinking about Birley but worried it won't be great for partys?

Without trying to belittle you, you are aware that you are asking them what the people they're sharing their halls with are like right? Therefore these live party animals will have moved out and you're living with a complete different set of people....

Tldr: asking what the social life is like is useless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending