The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

still no friends :(

hi,
im a first year in MMU and am still really strugging to make friends. I have a couple of people i am sort of friends with but they all have big friend groups that i am not apart of. im in a couple of societies but i find them really hard to actually make friends in as theyre very cliquey.
Is anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi,
im a first year in MMU and am still really strugging to make friends. I have a couple of people i am sort of friends with but they all have big friend groups that i am not apart of. im in a couple of societies but i find them really hard to actually make friends in as theyre very cliquey.

You have to continue to put yourself out there. It is an art to make friends.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
hi,

Do the couple of friends you have made know that you're having a hard time? If they did, I'm sure they would invite you to one of their soiree's (unless they're a really cliquey bunch, it's quite often "the more the merrier" attitude; especially if it involves going out). At the very least they could do something with you apart from the rest of their group.

If the societies you've joined aren't working for you, then you need to find some that are a bit more social. I'm not sure which one's you've joined... but for some, the very nature of the society itself means that they may be more social and inclusive. Off the top of my head, things like dancing or drama / amateur dramatics tend to be very interactive, so you're "forced" to mix with other people.

Failing that, could you maybe get a job in somewhere like the Student Union bar? Can be a great way to get your face known to a lot of people, they always have their own socials, due to the nature of the work, they're flexible hours so shouldn't interfere with studies too much AND AND AND.... you get a bit of extra cash in your back pocket 💰️😎💵
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You have to continue to put yourself out there. It is an art to make friends.

This

The more proactive you are and the more things you do, the better your chances of making friends.

Remember, if you take enough shots at a goal, eventually you're going to score.
hi,

Hello, @anonymous#1

It sounds like you’re going through a challenging time adjusting to university life. It’s not uncommon to feel this way, especially in your first year. You are not alone! Many people experience a similar struggle with making friends or finding the right societies tofit into. It takes a little time but you got this! Something that really helped me personally was reaching out to other first-yearstudents in my classes and joining sports team. Sometimes forming connections with people who are going through similarexperiences can also lead to meaningful friendships.

Additionally, don’t hesitate to explore different activities outside of your university and other societies within. While some may feel cliquey at first, there are often welcoming and inclusive groups where you can meet like-minded individuals.

Remember, it takes time to build friendships, so try to be patient with yourself. Keep putting yourself out there, and eventuallyyour’ll find your people. If you ever need someone to talk to or more advice, feel free to each out. You’ve got this !

Tiffany
(edited 1 month ago)
hi,
hi :smile:
im first year here too and in a similar situation, i have friends in my class but i often still feel awkward and like an outsider, but it's better than nothing because it makes me enjoy going to class! i spend all of my free time by myself though and it gets lonely/boring quickly, especially considering there's so much to do in manchester. i think i just had higher hopes of what uni would be like, i wanted to join a society but i was scared of it being cliquey haha so thank you for sharing, although im sorry you've had that experience. i hope you can settle in soon though <3
@anonymous#2

Hi there ! Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m glad to hear that you’re finding some enjoyment in going to class and that you are connecting with friends there. It’s understandable that spending all your free time alone can get lonely. Joining a society can be a great way to meet new people and explore interests outsides of class. I totally get the concern about it feeling cliquey, but many societies are welcoming to newcomers. Perhaps it would be best to starts with a small society that aligns with your interests or try reaching out to your class mates more.

Don’t forget it takes time to settle in, and it’s okay to take things at your own pace. If you ever need support feel free to reach out. Wishing you all the best as you navigate your university experience! 😄

UEA Rep Tiffany
(edited 1 month ago)
hi,
@Anonymous #1

I do not represent MMU, but I do know that their Student Union and student support is really good there. If you speak to them they might be able to help. Don't be afraid to reach out, especially if its making you feel a bit blue.

Have you thought about getting a part time job whilst studying? its health for the mind to get out of the flat and you might make new friends there

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 8
hi,
Hang in there. Keep going to your societies and just be patient. It takes time to become part of a group and you need to get your face known before people will start coming to you. Just be patient, polite and also, don't be afraid to ask to sit with people.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
hi :smile:
im first year here too and in a similar situation, i have friends in my class but i often still feel awkward and like an outsider, but it's better than nothing because it makes me enjoy going to class! i spend all of my free time by myself though and it gets lonely/boring quickly, especially considering there's so much to do in manchester. i think i just had higher hopes of what uni would be like, i wanted to join a society but i was scared of it being cliquey haha so thank you for sharing, although im sorry you've had that experience. i hope you can settle in soon though <3
hi, i made this post way back i think in january hahah, and it improved almost immiedietly after i made this post lol, im enjoying uni life at the moment and am almost sad first year is coming towards the end!!
are you in mmu as well? if so we should chat!!
<3
hi, i made this post way back i think in january hahah, and it improved almost immiedietly after i made this post lol, im enjoying uni life at the moment and am almost sad first year is coming towards the end!!
are you in mmu as well? if so we should chat!!
<3
or in uni in manchester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending