The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Ask our Manchester Met Official UG Student Rep

Hi everyone!

I’m Emily a first-year student at Manchester Metropolitan University studying Speech and Language Therapy, which I am loving so far!

Alongside my course, I am a member of the MMU orchestra. When I’m not at uni I love playing the piano, cuddling my pet bunny and travelling.

I’m here to answer any of your questions you might have about MMU. Social life, best spots to go out, the different types of accommodation, Freshers and any other questions about student life.
ask away :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, do you have any tips for the interview for speech and language therapy? I have mine coming up soon :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
When is your interview? I have my masters SALT one soon too!
Original post by abbi9
Hi, do you have any tips for the interview for speech and language therapy? I have mine coming up soon :smile:
Reply 3
(Original post by EdenJackson)When is your interview? I have my masters SALT one soon too!

Original post by EdenJackson

Mines on tuesday for the undergrad couse, good luck for yours! :smile:
Good luck to you too!
Original post by abbi9
(Original post by EdenJackson)When is your interview? I have my masters SALT one soon too!

Original post by abbi9

Hi @abbi9 and @EdenJacksoncongratulations on your interviews! When abouts are they?
Unfortunately, every year the questions for SLT interviews are different so I can’t give you any specific tips for the interview. However, I did find some helpful methods when preparing for the SLT interview.

Firstly, it’s on an odd one 😂. But, practicing talking about loud - to your-self or someone else. I found the pressure of talking out loud and trying to form answers on the spot is quite difficult, so talking some practice answers out loud is a plan.

Secondly, make sure you can answer the simplest question of why you want to do the subject? Why SLT? Why are you passionate about this course? This will give a strong foundation to your interview and always showing a passion for the subject is something an interviewer will look for.

Thirdly, especially in SLT or health courses I found researching what the NHS says about your course and how it helps people is a brilliant source to help build the answers to your interview questions. Furthermore, research what the uni you are interviewing for says about your course. What modules does it include? Which will be hardest for you and which might be easy?

Fourthly, remind your self of why you deserve to be on the course. An interview is all about telling the interviewer why they want you - specifically you - on their course so don’t hold back! Before the interview write out what skills you think an SLT therapist should have, why they should have this skill and what experience you have that shows you also have this skill. I stuck these on post- it notes around my computer and desk so I would read them regularly and when asked about it in the interview my answer would be fluent and detailed.

Finally, keep calm you’re epic :smile: This is just an opportunity to show how awesome you are and why they want you at their uni. Relax, talk slowly and don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat a question.

I would love to know how both your interviews go!
Wishing you both the best of luck

Emily <3
Original post by abbi9

Hi @abbi9Just saw this hope it went ok today!
Good Luck
Emily <3
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi @abbi9 and @EdenJacksoncongratulations on your interviews! When abouts are they?
Unfortunately, every year the questions for SLT interviews are different so I can’t give you any specific tips for the interview. However, I did find some helpful methods when preparing for the SLT interview.

Firstly, it’s on an odd one 😂. But, practicing talking about loud - to your-self or someone else. I found the pressure of talking out loud and trying to form answers on the spot is quite difficult, so talking some practice answers out loud is a plan.

Secondly, make sure you can answer the simplest question of why you want to do the subject? Why SLT? Why are you passionate about this course? This will give a strong foundation to your interview and always showing a passion for the subject is something an interviewer will look for.

Thirdly, especially in SLT or health courses I found researching what the NHS says about your course and how it helps people is a brilliant source to help build the answers to your interview questions. Furthermore, research what the uni you are interviewing for says about your course. What modules does it include? Which will be hardest for you and which might be easy?

Fourthly, remind your self of why you deserve to be on the course. An interview is all about telling the interviewer why they want you - specifically you - on their course so don’t hold back! Before the interview write out what skills you think an SLT therapist should have, why they should have this skill and what experience you have that shows you also have this skill. I stuck these on post- it notes around my computer and desk so I would read them regularly and when asked about it in the interview my answer would be fluent and detailed.

Finally, keep calm you’re epic :smile: This is just an opportunity to show how awesome you are and why they want you at their uni. Relax, talk slowly and don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat a question.

I would love to know how both your interviews go!
Wishing you both the best of luck

Emily <3

I completely forgot to respond to this message but it was so so helpful thank you Emily! Just thought I would let you know that I received a place the day after my interview! Looking forward to starting.

Thank you again! Eden x
I completely forgot to respond to this message but it was so so helpful thank you Emily! Just thought I would let you know that I received a place the day after my interview! Looking forward to starting.

Thank you again! Eden x

Hey @EdenJackson
Thank you so much for telling me! That’s so fantastic to hear
Emily <3
Hi. What are the approximate term dates for September 2023?
Original post by Sharad74
Hi. What are the approximate term dates for September 2023?

Hi @Sharad74
the next term dates haven’t been confirmed yet. But we anticipate courses in September will start on the 25th of September and run until the 18th of December
hope this helps.

Emily <3
Thank you

Hi @Sharad74
the next term dates haven’t been confirmed yet. But we anticipate courses in September will start on the 25th of September and run until the 18th of December
hope this helps.

Emily <3
Hi @Sharad74
hope this helps.

Emily <3

Hi Emily,

I was told the MMU speech and language MSc is anticipated to start on the 31st August, has it been moved to the 25th September?

Thank you,
Eden
Hi Emily,

I was told the MMU speech and language MSc is anticipated to start on the 31st August, has it been moved to the 25th September?

Thank you,
Eden

Hi @EdenJackson

Yes that is correct MSc Speech and Language anticipated start date is the 31st of August as this course has a non standard start date. The undergraduate courses begin on the 25th of September.

I hope this helps.

Carly :smile:
Hi. I applied through Direct Application Service. The status since last Thursday is "Direct Conditional Offer: Firm Acceptance". However, I do not see any offer letter on the portal that I can download and read. Can you please guide me on this?
Hi. I applied through Direct Application Service. The status since last Thursday is "Direct Conditional Offer: Firm Acceptance". However, I do not see any offer letter on the portal that I can download and read. Can you please guide me on this?

Hi @Sharad74

The offer letter will be sent to you via email from the email address ' [email protected] and is sent to the primary contact email address stated on your application. Please check your ‘junk/spam’ folder.

If your application was submitted by an education agent/advisor, please contact them directly as they will receive the offer letter from us. If your formal offer letter has not been received within 3 working days of your application status is updated to ‘conditional offer’ please contact the admissions team and they will get back to you as soon as possible with an update on your offer letter.

You do not mention in your post which course you have applied for, however, you can find a list of our admissions teams contact details here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/manchester-met-admissions

I hope this helps and congratulations on your offer!

Carly :smile:
Can you please give suggestions for accommodations? Are MMU Halls or Unite student halls better?
Original post by Archi1234
Can you please give suggestions for accommodations? Are MMU Halls or Unite student halls better?

Hi @Archi1234
When you say ‘better’ what factors are you looking for a comparison in? Cost, social aspect, distance to lecture halls, facilities? It all depends what you are prioritising in an accommodation?
I’d love to advise you with this topic! Can you tell me what factors are most important to you in accommodation ?

for example:
For me distance and cost was really important for my accommodation search. I ended up going to Canbridge :smile: Then I later swapped to MSV private dwell living!

How about you?

best wishes,

Emily <3
Hi @Archi1234
When you say ‘better’ what factors are you looking for a comparison in? Cost, social aspect, distance to lecture halls, facilities? It all depends what you are prioritising in an accommodation?
I’d love to advise you with this topic! Can you tell me what factors are most important to you in accommodation ?

for example:
For me distance and cost was really important for my accommodation search. I ended up going to Canbridge :smile: Then I later swapped to MSV private dwell living!

How about you?

best wishes,

Emily <3

I am looking for social aspect but also I would prefer an en suite room. Since my course is architecture…my lectures would be at Manchester Metropolitan and University of Manchester so I want an accommodation from where I can commute easily to both unis.
Plz give some recommendations.
Reply 19
Hi Carly. It has been over a month since my status changed to conditional offer but I've not received the offer letter. My education agent says that there was a problem with the direct application software due to which none of the students from MMU have got their offer letters. Can you please confirm this is true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending