The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rebelli0n
Have you been applying for jobs that actually have vacancies? I.E Tesco/Asda etc, if there are no vacancies then obviously they just will ignore you until they are recruiting..

And sometimes companies will just keep your C.V on file for a later vacancy as you may not be the right man/woman at that particular time. E.G, I had an interview at the Royal Bank of Scotland back in October last year, they rejected me, then randomly contacted me in February and offered me a position..

Just keep going and you'll get somewhere!

Of course I've applied to vacancies. The majority of shops do it online. And those that don't I just hand the C.V in what have I got to lose?

Original post by Cll_ws
Have you tried temp agencies? I signed up with one last week and was offered a job within a day. Obviously it was only temporary, 5 days, but it's something! Hopefully they'll contact me with a lot more because like you i'm really struggling to find anything else.

I've applied for everything. Part time. Full time. Night shifts. Early morning shifts. Anything and everything. I know I'm not in a position to pick and choose beggars can't be choosers right.

Original post by Frazeled
hi are you going to be going to uni soon? employers dont like employing people who are going to be leaving in a few months time and will students who only want work during term time that there arent any jobs avaliable because the dont want to have to train you only for you to leave in a few months . what you want do is pretend that you are going to be their permanatley if you are planing to go to uni and if you have to say you are going to uni tell em that you will be wanting to work weekends there once you start uni. If you aint going to uni then parhaps you need to big up ya cv a bit more a few white lies wont hurt anybody good luck

I have been pretending that I'm not going university. The grades kind of give it away though.
Reply 41
Original post by laura94
I applied to 5 jobs in one day and got all 5. Have you been going into places and handing in your cv? That's what I did and before when I just called up places or applied online I never got anything. Always write a cover letter too, and write a different one for each place your applying. Research the place your applying to so you sound knowledgeable and dedicated!

I spent two days visiting every single shop in my town center giving them my C.V and cover letter if they took it. The vast majority do online applications.
Reply 42
Original post by FallenDeath
I am in the same position as you. I applied at H&M, NEXT, subway and primark. None of them had common decency to at least tell me I got rejected. The problem is if I at least that I got rejected I would be motivated to apply some were else but those ****ers don't even get back with any response.

Nevertheless I am still trying and if don't have job by the time I go uni I am have to resort to applying at Agency to aid me find a job

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Next email you to tell you that you are unsuccessful.
Reply 43
Original post by . .
For the last two months since finishing A-Levels every single ****ing day I've been looking for jobs. I'm sick and tired of this ****. I don't understand what the **** I've done to deserve this crap. There have been weeks where I have been applying to 10 jobs a day. I've been rejected from cleaning jobs, McDonalds, Tesco and ASDA any other major supermarket you can think of. The most annoying thing is the vast majority of these ****ers don't have the decency to actually tell you you've been rejected. I finally gave in and applied for JSA today after running down my savings to £10 over the past 2 months.
If you're an employer go **** yourself. ****ing *****.

/End rant.

Needed to get that off my chest and no I don't have a question.

I hated being in this position. Especially when I, like you, couldn't even afford to get the bus to places. Getting a job is just about plugging away until you hit a spot of luck. If you live in or near London/Manchester or Birmingham. there are agencies that you can join who let you pick what shift you are free to do and you end up working at some pretty cool places. Other then that, just use the internet to apply to every potential job in the far area. Scour the **** out of sites like Gumtree. I know it is very patronising to hear, especially when you are feeling frustrated and trapped, but the more flexible you are willing to be (ie willing to work further away from your home) the more likely you are to end up with employment. The alternative is pretty grim, sitting on your couch for a year feeling depressed and trapped as you can't even afford to go out or do anything remotely productive.
Original post by . .
Next email you to tell you that you are unsuccessful.

Yes they told me I was rejected literally and hour after I applied

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 45
Original post by . .
I spent two days visiting every single shop in my town center giving them my C.V and cover letter if they took it. The vast majority do online applications.

Have you applied to local pubs and stuff as well? They're usually more likely to take you as they have more casual staff.
I know how this feels. It's horrible when you apply for every job under the sun and get no where...

Get on JSA and keep applying! Also try the 'boom periods' that's January, May and August.

I got my first job through being a temp where my commute was 3 hours and i spent more getting there than i earnt, i gained some experience and got my second using that experience as another temp but they decided to keep me on which is great.
My sister could never get a job so she was doing volunteer work for a year and now actually refuses jobs.

The worst thing to do would be to give up and end up on the doll forever and unable to get off. You're still young so all you need is that experience to open doors.

but then again i'm still young and optimistic haha. Goodluck! There will be something out there
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sick and ****ing tired looking for voluntary work in any damn hospital ,what the hell is wrong with these losers ?its voluntary morons ! urghhhhh ,just give me the permission to observe in your ****ed up departments ,urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sooo angry ,i know how you feel , I've literately called every single damn hospital in London .
Original post by 0range
If you're in London then this is pretty much crap, I got a job at the Olympics which pays £8.30 an hour. All I had to do was turn up to an interview with my CV, and I have to admit mine was pretty empty/lame.

If you're not in London though, I can see how tough it must be to get a job :frown:

Yeah, I also have an Olympics job now, and it's the only full time job I've ever managed to get in my life, though it's only temporary so who knows what I may get after it finishes? :erm:

OP, I felt very much like you too for the past 2 years before I got my current job recently. I honestly don't even know what to suggest tbh, because I'd also been trying everything and I only got lucky now because it's currently the Olympics and they need lots of security staff. And when I save enough I plan to bugger off travelling to somewhere with a better job market cos I'm getting fed up of the UK, lol.
Reply 49
Original post by rawkus
I hated being in this position. Especially when I, like you, couldn't even afford to get the bus to places. Getting a job is just about plugging away until you hit a spot of luck. If you live in or near London/Manchester or Birmingham. there are agencies that you can join who let you pick what shift you are free to do and you end up working at some pretty cool places. Other then that, just use the internet to apply to every potential job in the far area. Scour the **** out of sites like Gumtree. I know it is very patronising to hear, especially when you are feeling frustrated and trapped, but the more flexible you are willing to be (ie willing to work further away from your home) the more likely you are to end up with employment. The alternative is pretty grim, sitting on your couch for a year feeling depressed and trapped as you can't even afford to go out or do anything remotely productive.

What are these agencies?

Original post by RachelSophia
I know how this feels. It horrible when you apply for every job under the sun and get no where...

Get on JSA and keep applying! Also try the 'boom periods' that's January, May and August.

I got my first job through being a temp, i gained some experience and got my second using that experience as another temp but they decided to keep me on which is great.
My sister could never get a job so she was doing volunteer work for a year and now actually refuses jobs.

The worst thing to do would be to give up and end up on the doll forever and unable to get off. You're still young so all you need is that experience to open doors.

but then again i'm still young and optimistic haha. Goodluck! There will be something out there

Yeah I'm hoping I get a bit more luck in August.
Reply 50
Original post by 0range
If you're in London then this is pretty much crap, I got a job at the Olympics which pays £8.30 an hour. All I had to do was turn up to an interview with my CV, and I have to admit mine was pretty empty/lame.

If you're not in London though, I can see how tough it must be to get a job :frown:

that's BS.

That is the flipping Olympics! that job won't last for much time. And what exactly is that job? not many school leavers would be qualified for a job paying £8.30 an hour...

It is difficult for school leavers to get jobs, even here in London. It's greatly about luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by . .
Good A-Level grades being able to follow orders and having strength are not mutually exclusive.

I'm sorry what has this got to do with anything? Did you slightly miss the point? :tongue:
Original post by . .
I do and have been doing the travelling costs of it is one of the major reasons my savings have depleted. In fact I'm going to have to stop as I can't afford to travel.

I don't know if there is an Oxfam near you but they reimburse travelling expenses like bus fares.
Reply 53
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, I also have an Olympics job now, and it's the only full time job I've ever managed to get in my life, though it's only temporary so who knows what I may get after it finishes? :erm:

OP, I felt very much like you too for the past 2 years before I got my current job recently. I honestly don't even know what to suggest tbh, because I'd also been trying everything and I only got lucky now because it's currently the Olympics and they need lots of security staff. And when I save enough I plan to bugger off travelling to somewhere with a better job market cos I'm getting fed up of the UK, lol.

I'm from up north. I read about that. The G4S where they made a massive cock up in the security and desperately needed people to work?

Original post by Whatever9999
I'm sick and ****ing tired looking for voluntary work in any damn hospital ,what the hell is wrong with these losers ?its voluntary morons ! urghhhhh ,just give me the permission to observe in your ****ed up departments ,urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sooo angry ,i know how you feel , I've literately called every single damn hospital in London .

I'm guessing your a medic? Or a potential/hopeful one?
Reply 54
Original post by rightofcentre
I don't know if there is an Oxfam near you but they reimburse travelling expenses like bus fares.

They have a waiting list I've wrote my name down but they had at least two pages of people before me.
Original post by . .
I'm from up north. I read about that. The G4S where they made a massive cock up in the security and desperately needed people to work?

Yep, I'm working for them :yep:. And I can definitely tell you from first-hand experience that their organisational skills are really not the best, but they've given me a job now so I'm not gonna complain. Having the army in as backup is definitely a reassurance though.
Original post by 0range

What the hell I live in London and Olympic jobs were hard to come by even the volunteering ones too much competition for them..........
Original post by . .
For the last two months since finishing A-Levels every single ****ing day I've been looking for jobs. I'm sick and tired of this ****. I don't understand what the **** I've done to deserve this crap. There have been weeks where I have been applying to 10 jobs a day. I've been rejected from cleaning jobs, McDonalds, Tesco and ASDA any other major supermarket you can think of. The most annoying thing is the vast majority of these ****ers don't have the decency to actually tell you you've been rejected. I finally gave in and applied for JSA today after running down my savings to £10 over the past 2 months.
If you're an employer go **** yourself. ****ing *****.

/End rant.

Needed to get that off my chest and no I don't have a question.

Snap I just know how you feel.. But dont stop trying! You will get something! :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yep, I'm working for them :yep:. And I can definitely tell you from first-hand experience that their organisational skills are really not the best, but they've given me a job now so I'm not gonna complain. Having the army in as backup is definitely a reassurance though.

Yeah the dailyfail had a field day on it. :redface:
Reply 59
Original post by Annie2129
I'm in the same situation. Since end of May I've applied to every job in my small town I have found on the internet and newspapers. I've handing out my CV like flyers to every shop. Put ad into newspaper. Everything I got was 1 interview after which I got rejected and 1 strange chat with boss of restaurant nearby (he only called me up probably only because I opted to work for free for a week since I had no waiter experience). Really annoying that I have so much cleaning experience, volunteering in a charity shop, other extra-curricular school stuff and very good grades. I've been a cleaner in a nearby Boots store and I've apllied for the same postition in a nearby town and didn't get it. Seriously, what else were they looking for???
But yes, the most annoying is that employers turn down hard working and responsible people for those who don't give a crap about their work.
Rant is over)

that's horrible.

stay strong! things are tough, you have to keep going. It's a luck game, keep going and you will strike lucky - I know that sometimes it feels like it's not worth trying. Hang in there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending