The Student Room Group

Advise needed pls

Hi,
I'm a second year student nearing the end of A levels with exams in a few months. I have been applying for a degree apprenticeship in the big 4 companies such as Deloitte,KPMG etc. I would pass the first assessment and would always fail the second one but I've been blessed because now I know what mistakes I made and how I can improve. There is next year I can apply for as well but my issue is this. .... I don't actually want to have a job or do an apprenticeship. I know I may sound lazy but I'm sick and tired of studying and working etc. I've always been an A student with A's for my predicted A level subjects. I know people will say oh you have so much potential because of your grades and I know that as well but that still doesn't make me want to wake up at bloody 7 in the morning and come back home at 5. It's the lifestyle once you start working that stresses me out. I want to have a life and also want to look after my mental health and well being. I never wanted to go to uni. I heard about apprenticeships then decided I might consider it. But I'm not feeling it. I've got endless stress from peers that I should not take a gap year and that I will regret it.
For those of you wondering what I want to do (wish) it would probably be selling crochet and baking as a small business where I actually enjoy myself. I will always be living with my parents until I get married so there's no problem of earning a living etc. I'm also not a lazy type of person as I love routines and schedules so if I have nothing to do I always do Udemy courses and be productive as possible.

Sorry for the really long rant but I feel better now that I've let it all out and would massively appreciate if someone has the same thoughts as me or has any advise.

Have a good day 😊
Reply 1
'Sick and tired of working'; what job(s) have you had that make you say that? You can work and still have a life, even more so when you're earning money to buy what you want and to travel. You have evenings and weekends and annual leave and social contact.

Have you looked into running a business from home? Would the mortgage provider or landlord even allow it? How are you going to pay for training, insurance, supplies?

What if you never get married? What if your parents couldn't support you anymore? What if you married but something happened to your husband? Could you cope on a state pension in future?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
'Sick and tired of working'; what job(s) have you had that make you say that? You can work and still have a life, even more so when you're earning money to buy what you want and to travel. You have evenings and weekends and annual leave and social contact.

Have you looked into running a business from home? Would the mortgage provider or landlord even allow it? How are you going to pay for training, insurance, supplies?

What if you never get married? What if your parents couldn't support you anymore? What if you married but something happened to your husband? Could you cope on a state pension in future?

Hey thanks for replying

When I said that I am sick and tired of working I just meant that I'm tired mentally of studying and just want to never study anymore. I hate studying that's what I'm basically saying. Am I being selfish? Idk.
I have many family members who have their own small business selling on Etsy and Instagram. Some of my cousins are younger and older than me. I really want to start my own business and I know about the regulations like cleaning hygiene etc. Fortunately when it comes to buying supplies and other equipment I am sorted so money isn't an issue.

About the marriage thing you were saying I come from an Asian family so they would never kick me out or make me earn my own living they even told me that already.
If God forbid something happened to my husband I have a family who can support me and that is enough for me or I can remarry which is permitted in my religion. I'm thankful you even mentioned this because I have never looked so far into the future lol.
Let's say I wanted to work I would want to work remote fully just because I feel as though I would be more productive and comfortable in my own space.
Reply 3
If I take a gap year would you recommend an internship like a virtual one?
Reply 4
Original post by WORKHELP465
Hey thanks for replying

When I said that I am sick and tired of working I just meant that I'm tired mentally of studying and just want to never study anymore. I hate studying that's what I'm basically saying. Am I being selfish? Idk.
I have many family members who have their own small business selling on Etsy and Instagram. Some of my cousins are younger and older than me. I really want to start my own business and I know about the regulations like cleaning hygiene etc. Fortunately when it comes to buying supplies and other equipment I am sorted so money isn't an issue.

About the marriage thing you were saying I come from an Asian family so they would never kick me out or make me earn my own living they even told me that already.
If God forbid something happened to my husband I have a family who can support me and that is enough for me or I can remarry which is permitted in my religion. I'm thankful you even mentioned this because I have never looked so far into the future lol.
Let's say I wanted to work I would want to work remote fully just because I feel as though I would be more productive and comfortable in my own space.

Studying is very different to working, so why not get a job and see how it goes? Your view of being all great and productive at home may be rosy as it takes discipline and you'll still be committed to working certain hours. You can always keep up your hobbies on the side, but have you even looked into whether it's possible to have a business at your parents' home?

It may be better to get out of your comfort zone now, and build up some savings. Do you really want to be supported by other people for buying the basics like food, clothes, etc? What about contributions to the household, mobile phone, driving lessons, travel? Do you still want to be living in someone else's house and not independent at 40?
Hi,
I'm a second year student nearing the end of A levels with exams in a few months. I have been applying for a degree apprenticeship in the big 4 companies such as Deloitte,KPMG etc. I would pass the first assessment and would always fail the second one but I've been blessed because now I know what mistakes I made and how I can improve. There is next year I can apply for as well but my issue is this. .... I don't actually want to have a job or do an apprenticeship. I know I may sound lazy but I'm sick and tired of studying and working etc. I've always been an A student with A's for my predicted A level subjects. I know people will say oh you have so much potential because of your grades and I know that as well but that still doesn't make me want to wake up at bloody 7 in the morning and come back home at 5. It's the lifestyle once you start working that stresses me out. I want to have a life and also want to look after my mental health and well being. I never wanted to go to uni. I heard about apprenticeships then decided I might consider it. But I'm not feeling it. I've got endless stress from peers that I should not take a gap year and that I will regret it.
For those of you wondering what I want to do (wish) it would probably be selling crochet and baking as a small business where I actually enjoy myself. I will always be living with my parents until I get married so there's no problem of earning a living etc. I'm also not a lazy type of person as I love routines and schedules so if I have nothing to do I always do Udemy courses and be productive as possible.

Sorry for the really long rant but I feel better now that I've let it all out and would massively appreciate if someone has the same thoughts as me or has any advise.

Have a good day 😊

Sounds to me you need a good break. Take a gap year or something. Don't rush into these things you could end up being fired it you don't manage to do as they ask. Follow your passion and try the business and see how it goes. Good luck.
Reply 6
Hi,

Have a good day 😊

I'm sure I have just answered the same post from a different person. So you are applying for a degree apprenticeship but don't want to do it? So why are you doing it? You don't have to do it this year. There is always next year or beyond. Take a break. Go travelling. And yes - that means you might need to get a job, but a change is as good as a break and working for money is a very different proposition to working for your studies.

Please don't do things in life you don't want to do. Life is short and you are just wasting everyone's (including yourself) time.

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
I'm sure I have just answered the same post from a different person. So you are applying for a degree apprenticeship but don't want to do it? So why are you doing it? You don't have to do it this year. There is always next year or beyond. Take a break. Go travelling. And yes - that means you might need to get a job, but a change is as good as a break and working for money is a very different proposition to working for your studies.

Please don't do things in life you don't want to do. Life is short and you are just wasting everyone's (including yourself) time.

Good luck!

excellent advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending