The Student Room Group

How to get a classmate kicked out in the correct way?

I'm seeking advice as I need to figure out where to begin.

I was born in the South, but I'm currently living in the North and studying for a degree in drama. We don't have "exams" for our course, but we do have performances. Last year, our university, after years of fighting for this, finally got the marking from individual marking to one group marking, which means we either all passed or all failed.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on various social media platforms about students not turning up, and we're having issues with that now. There's a guy in our year group who's only turned up to one lecture, and when there have been group presentations, he hasn't done our bit. The lecturers understand why we don't have this bit in our production, but sometimes, whoever's group he's placed in always feels like they've failed even though our lecturers have stated this won't affect us and they'll make sure of it.

We've been having some private discussions and we all understand he may have a lot going on but we are personally sick and tired of him not attending now as he doesn't message nor respond to our messages.

As a class we've spoken to our lecturers who state they don't have much power and they've explained we have more power as we're students and have to work with him. We want to start the process of getting him kicked out but in a correct and legal way but we have no idea where to begin.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

From students who are sick and tired of a student not turning up.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm seeking advice as I need to figure out where to begin.

I was born in the South, but I'm currently living in the North and studying for a degree in drama. We don't have "exams" for our course, but we do have performances. Last year, our university, after years of fighting for this, finally got the marking from individual marking to one group marking, which means we either all passed or all failed.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on various social media platforms about students not turning up, and we're having issues with that now. There's a guy in our year group who's only turned up to one lecture, and when there have been group presentations, he hasn't done our bit. The lecturers understand why we don't have this bit in our production, but sometimes, whoever's group he's placed in always feels like they've failed even though our lecturers have stated this won't affect us and they'll make sure of it.

We've been having some private discussions and we all understand he may have a lot going on but we are personally sick and tired of him not attending now as he doesn't message nor respond to our messages.

As a class we've spoken to our lecturers who state they don't have much power and they've explained we have more power as we're students and have to work with him. We want to start the process of getting him kicked out but in a correct and legal way but we have no idea where to begin.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

From students who are sick and tired of a student not turning up.

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are upset with your classmate. I completely understand that it is frustrating when people do not work as part of the team. However, I am not too sure what you mean by kicking him out??

I think you can speak to any of your seminar leaders? or any teachers? (perhaps the ones who arranged the groups, to see if you can have him removed from your team. Since you have reported the situation to your lecturer, and have evidence that he does not respond to texts, it is possible to move him out of the team?

An important thing is that your grades will not be affected by this, it is good that you have received confirmation of this from your lecturers. However, if you are still worried, do speak to any academic support teams the Uni has for further confirmation.

Since he has not attended lectures, I believe there will be University policies, systems to have him removed from the course automatically.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending