The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Bris
Had mine on Friday, was for the border officer job @ Heathrow. I'm pretty confident I won't get it as the competency based part of the interview didn't go great, not bad, but just not good enough I reckon. Good luck to anyone going next week, I really dislike doing presentations but this really isn't anything to worry about and the interviewers are nice.

1. Some people say they were told presentations but instead were given role plays? Which one did u get? :s-smilie:

2. Why didnt your competency questions go well? You knew what they were going to ask and the answers you gave them in your application was what got you the interview, so why dont you think you'll get it? Did you not memorize and expand on your original answers?
Reply 101
Original post by Mase_atl
Those of you who have had interviews, were they for the border officer or assistant border officer role?

And those of you with interviews coming up which role is it for?

Just trying to figure out if interviews are still running for both roles or if one or the other roles interviews have now been completed and the next role is now being interviewed for.

I've got mine for border force next week....
I wonder if they'll be hit by the same problem we have in employing lab technicians. The current economic climate and long recruitment freeze will mean they're interviewing and accepting in a higher standard of applicant than would usually be interested, and said applicant leaves far sooner than would have happened 5 years ago.
Reply 103
Original post by Bris
1, It's neither one nor the other really. You get given a brief and 3 possible scenarios and you have 15 minutes to prepare answers to how you would handle them. You then 'present' those answers to the 'role play' scenarios. So you don't interact with anyone else as you would in a role play and it isn't a case of reading a bunch of factual information on one topic and then presenting it.

2, The bit in bold is exactly how I was thinking and once I got the first part out of the way (which I felt went pretty well) I was confident, I knew them off by heart and had a back up for each one but I was only asked 3, 2 were probably my weakest ones and they interrupted quite a lot during those 2 and I ended up giving 3 examples to fill different parts of one competency as I guess they weren't completely satisfied I'd demonstrated what they were looking for.

They said what I was saying was good but obviously they were looking for more. At the end of the day they were doing it to help, I was able to give other examples and when I asked at the end they did say it didn't matter that I'd used a few different examples for one competency. Like I said it didn't go badly and tbh short of outright lieing I couldn't of done anything else but ultimately I don't think it went well enough to warrant them offering me a job :frown:

Good luck for next week

Awh thanks for your answer. You know a lot of the time people get interviews which they think went bad or not that good but they end up getting a job offer and they get shocked about that. so... have hope :smile:
I guess they wanted you to say the right things and to prove your self thats why they kept giving you more opportunities to prove your self.

Do you know how many people they're recruiting? From the looks of this thread, it seems like they're desperate. :/
Original post by Bris
1, It's neither one nor the other really. You get given a brief and 3 possible scenarios and you have 15 minutes to prepare answers to how you would handle them. You then 'present' those answers to the 'role play' scenarios. So you don't interact with anyone else as you would in a role play and it isn't a case of reading a bunch of factual information on one topic and then presenting it.

2, The bit in bold is exactly how I was thinking and once I got the first part out of the way (which I felt went pretty well) I was confident, I knew them off by heart and had a back up for each one but I was only asked 3, 2 were probably my weakest ones and they interrupted quite a lot during those 2 and I ended up giving 3 examples to fill different parts of one competency as I guess they weren't completely satisfied I'd demonstrated what they were looking for.

They said what I was saying was good but obviously they were looking for more. At the end of the day they were doing it to help, I was able to give other examples and when I asked at the end they did say it didn't matter that I'd used a few different examples for one competency. Like I said it didn't go badly and tbh short of outright lieing I couldn't of done anything else but ultimately I don't think it went well enough to warrant them offering me a job :frown:

Good luck for next week

Thanks for the info! sometimes when they grill you a bit it's a good sign so don't count yourself out just yet!
Original post by jellybean55
Thanks for the info! sometimes when they grill you a bit it's a good sign so don't count yourself out just yet!
I imagine they would define it as "probe" rather than grill. They need an answer to the question. One thing you need to remember is they're trying to test your ability to do the job, not your ability to perform well in an interview.

Of course another thing you need to remember is that the latter is difficult and they'll probably be 90% testing your ability to perform well in an interview.
Reply 106
Original post by naturalselection
One of the recruitment girls, I think her name was Jenna (quite attractive) :wink: said they are interviewing 1000 applicants, but she wasn't sure how many positions they are.

They have 400 posts available, so I've heard.
Reply 107
There was no word limit on the online application for the answers on the competency questions, I wrote liike 1,000 word for each which would take me like 10 minutes to narrrate ach, I've just been working on cutting in dow to 5minutes, so I don't understand how theey'll expeect me to talk in morre detail :/
My online competency answers were like a sentence lol. In my interview my answers were only 2-3 minutes as well x
Reply 109
Anybody else applied for the Asylum Case Worker role? I've just been invited to take the two online tests!
Original post by bowen22
Anybody else applied for the Asylum Case Worker role? I've just been invited to take the two online tests!

same, what location did you apply for?
Reply 111
Original post by NotYourAverage'
same, what location did you apply for?

I didn't put a preference, how about yourself?
Reply 112
boarder force is racist.
Reply 113
Original post by beachball
boarder force is racist.

why
Original post by bowen22
I didn't put a preference, how about yourself?

London Bridge =) I should have put no preference as well though.
Reply 115
Original post by NotYourAverage'
London Bridge =) I should have put no preference as well though.

Won't make that much difference I would have thought, good luck with the online tests anyhow!
Reply 116
Original post by SlowCoach
Well I had mine today and all I had was 15mins to read a role scenario, giving details of problems you are facing. This together with a competency interview was done after it.

There were alot of stuff which didn't make sense to me, I was expecting a presentation, the pay was different to what I had seen when applying for the job, plus the description was different.

From the amount of documentation which is taken, I am thinking, they are offering the jobs like sweets.

There are 400 more jobs coming up in the next couple weeks, for the Border Force thingy

Hi

I was just wondering whether you presented the presentation in-front of the interviewees only or was it a group exercise with other participants, hope to hear from you soon, and good luck :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by bowen22

i have also been invited for the test, good luck to all of you who have applied :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by leoleigh
I too took the tests last week but have not heard. Do you know whether they sifted through the applications before the online tests?

Hi
what kind of online test? Can any body tell me what kind of question are there with example? thank you.
Reply 119
Original post by bandhu
Hi
what kind of online test? Can any body tell me what kind of question are there with example? thank you.

The online tests are quite simple. There is one verbal reasoning test which is answering questions after reading a case study brief. If you type in Verbal reasoning tests in Google you can see loads of practice questions to try. The other is an online checking which is very easy, simply spotting the errors in a database. They will give you a practice question before you try it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending