The Student Room Group

Why do you like Chemistry?

Why do you like Chemistry? What is it about chemistry that interests you?

I like Chemistry but I wanted to know why do other people like chemistry? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Knowing about chemicals and stuff makes you feel like Tyler Durden from Fight Club.
Reply 2
Original post by txo
I like chemistry because... it's more interesting than biology in terms of A-Levels.

Hows it more interesting than Biology? I have the same opinion but I can't describe in words why it is?
Original post by Mumzy
Why do you like Chemistry? What is it about chemistry that interests you? (...)

I like molecules, all kinds of reactions and organic chemistry. That's why I'm very interest in chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by Mumzy
Hows it more interesting than Biology? I have the same opinion but I can't describe in words why it is?

I can't describe it either, but I had a great chemistry teacher and my class was better than my biology which was horrible. Also I found A-Level chemistry took what I learned in GCSE chemistry into detail which made it more interesting.
Original post by Mumzy
Why do you like Chemistry? What is it about chemistry that interests you?

I like Chemistry but I wanted to know why do other people like chemistry? :smile:

Sorry mate we arent giving our personal statement to u
Original post by chignesh10

Don't be such a meany beany :tongue:

OP, I like chemistry because you get to make thing sparkle, fizz, bang and turn prettyful colours.

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by chignesh10

i aint doing this for my personal statement. everyone seems to hate chemistry so i wanted to know whoever likes chemistry, why they do. but yeh i get your point, it would seem like a personal statement question. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
To me chemistry is like a jigsaw puzzle. Each different atom has a number of valence electrons and they come together to form all sorts of compounds based on this, but they can only fit in certain ways, and then you get the chemical equations which balance out and tie everything up. It's all very logical, but it's a different type of logic to maths for example. I think it's cool how elements and compounds exhibit properties; and elements in a certain group or molecules with a certain functional group will have similar properties which differ in a logical fashion. I don't know why I like chemistry really, I just do.

Also, explosions.
Reply 9
Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions. nice to see that there are other people who like chemistry likke me :smile:
What I also like in chemistry is the fact that some knowledges in that are applicable in biology and physics, as in molecular genetic and atomic physics. And yes, I like also biology and physics.
Reply 11
Its just really interesting, and there's less to remember when compared to biology :L
Original post by lukas1051
To me chemistry is like a jigsaw puzzle. Each different atom has a number of valence electrons and they come together to form all sorts of compounds based on this, but they can only fit in certain ways, and then you get the chemical equations which balance out and tie everything up. It's all very logical, but it's a different type of logic to maths for example. I think it's cool how elements and compounds exhibit properties; and elements in a certain group or molecules with a certain functional group will have similar properties which differ in a logical fashion. I don't know why I like chemistry really, I just do.

Also, explosions.

:') Beautifully eloquent.
I like Chemistry because of its diversity and universality; it is the basis of medicine, materials innovation, technology, civilization and ultimately all life on Earth.
Original post by Chucklefiend
(...) ultimately all life on Earth.

Do you know certainly the famous phrase that all kinds of objects are atoms.
From this perspective you are right and chemistry is actually the ultimately all life on Earth.
(edited 11 years ago)
I find people generally have more respect for someone who does Chemistry, or Physics combined with Maths. I also like to learn the more traditional subject and believe it will benefit me for the long run for doing tougher subject than a soft subject.
Reply 16
People like CHEMISTRY! :eek:
Original post by Kallisto
Do you know certainly the famous phrase that all kinds of objects are atoms.
From this perspective you are right and chemistry is actually the ultimately all life on Earth.

Not only that, but the reactions between different elements and compounds make the biological processes integral to complex life, such as photosynthesis and respiration, possible.
Reply 18
Original post by lukas1051

Also, explosions.

This person explains my view very well.
Reply 19
probably because I'm good at it if I'm honest.

In the same way, I'm not into English Literature or History because I'm not very good at them.

Quick Reply

Latest