The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 05hussainah
sorry for the hassle guys but help me out will you i didnt get in last year and want to know if im wasting my times with kings
gcses: 7a*s 1a and 1b
AS: AAAA in bio, chem, maths and geography
A levels: 3 A*s in bio chem and maths
ukcat: 730

will my gcses let me down...everyone seems to get like 10a*s here! help please

NO. Definitely apply! You've already got your grades and you have an amazing UKCAT. Go for it mate.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by dekg140
Guys I have really low GCSEs, I only have 2A*s, 2A's, 4B's :l Do I have any hope, even if i get a high ukcat?

If you mean your UKCAT is around the 800 region!
Reply 62
sorry for the hassle guys but help me out will you i didnt get in last year and want to know if im wasting my times with kings
gcses: 7a*s 1a and 1b
AS: AAAA in bio, chem, maths and geography
A levels: 3 A*s in bio chem and maths
ukcat: 730

will my gcses let me down...everyone seems to get like 10a*s here! help please

Hi, I've just started at Kings (2012) and don't worry because I only had 7.5 A*s at GCSE and I got an interview really quickly :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Jenny2233
Hi, I've just started at Kings (2012) and don't worry because I only had 7.5 A*s at GCSE and I got an interview really quickly :smile:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of extra curricular activities did you take part in?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 64
Original post by Naadirah21
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of extra curricular activities did you take part in?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No, no it's fine :smile: I play violin and piano and was in my school orchestra and choir. I rowed regularly and volunteered at a local sailing group for disabled kids, I also volunteered on the wards of my local hospital for a couple of years. I organised charity events at my school for Comic Relief since about year 10, I mentioned that I danced and went to stage school when i was a bit younger (linked it to communication skills :P), gold D of E and then like all my work experience and roles of responsibility at school
I would love to go to King's but I'm not sure if I would even stand a chance at interview there.

Does anyone know how they assess the academic score for graduate applicants to the A100 course? Do they just look at your Uni grades or do they also look at your secondary school grades too?

-I have a First-Class Honours degree in Psychology
-A MSc Neuroscience degree
-UKCAT score of 2650 (av. 662.5).

What do you think my chances are? Please be brutally honest!
Reply 66
For graduates who meet the minimum requirement of 2:1, they mainly look at the UKCAT scores. In the past, any graduate scoring above 675 was given a consideration.

For those without a degree (normal route), they are either looking for excellent GCSE's or a high average score in UKCAT.

In my opinion, you stand good chances elsewhere if you are applying for A100 course with a degree. I would also suggest that you contact king's to find out where you stand. Also, what did you get for your MSc?

I also applied to King's in 2011 but was rejected due to low UKCAT!

Original post by DoctorDeL'avenir
I would love to go to King's but I'm not sure if I would even stand a chance at interview there.

Does anyone know how they assess the academic score for graduate applicants to the A100 course? Do they just look at your Uni grades or do they also look at your secondary school grades too?

-I have a First-Class Honours degree in Psychology
-A MSc Neuroscience degree
-UKCAT score of 2650 (av. 662.5).

What do you think my chances are? Please be brutally honest!
During my trip to london, I really love KCL :smile:
I'm an international student from thailand but my UKCAT isnt that high (630) :frown:
But I have a predicted 44 IB score (7 HL chem, 7 HL bio, 6 HL eng, 7 SL psyc, 7 SL thai, 7 SL Math)
For my work experience, I volunteered at the mobile clinics in northern thailand for the hill tribal people and at the hospital in cambodia. I also have an opportunity to do an internship in UCLA hospital and co-authored/presented a research publication on Tuberculosis. I'm a captain of varsity basketball, volleyball and softball team, vice president of MUN, and a member of national honor society. I've won 2 gold certificates for UK mathematical challenge and a gold certificate for American mathematical competition.
I know my ukcat isn't that high and that it is also really competitive for an int. student but do you guys think I have a shot for at least an interview? Thanks :smile:
Original post by singh12
For graduates who meet the minimum requirement of 2:1, they mainly look at the UKCAT scores. In the past, any graduate scoring above 675 was given a consideration.

For those without a degree (normal route), they are either looking for excellent GCSE's or a high average score in UKCAT.

In my opinion, you stand good chances elsewhere if you are applying for A100 course with a degree. I would also suggest that you contact king's to find out where you stand. Also, what did you get for your MSc?

I also applied to King's in 2011 but was rejected due to low UKCAT!

Thanks a million for replying to my question! I'll contact King's just to clarify with them. I probably will end up not taking the risk applying to them, though. We were never given a proper grade for our MSc- just told that we passed.

Ah...that's awful!! What UKCAT scores did you get in 2011/this year, do you mind me asking? I assume you got a really high score this year!! Best of luck with your application!! Hope it goes well!!
Reply 69
Original post by DoctorDeL'avenir
Thanks a million for replying to my question! I'll contact King's just to clarify with them. I probably will end up not taking the risk applying to them, though. We were never given a proper grade for our MSc- just told that we passed.

Ah...that's awful!! What UKCAT scores did you get in 2011/this year, do you mind me asking? I assume you got a really high score this year!! Best of luck with your application!! Hope it goes well!!

I had a score of 665 but wasn't enough to get me an interview at King's. In their feedback they mentioned that there were strong candidates and they only interview around 800 or so out of 4000 applicants.

Also, King's is looking for marks in high 60's if you have done a master's. I am not 100% sure if this applies to candidates who meet the minimum requirements through their first degree (BSc) so it is better to clarify with them before wasting your choice.
Original post by Jenny2233

Hi. Thanks for the help. Can I ask what ukcat score you got if you do not mind? Also do Kings look at personal statements when deciding who gets chosen for interview or is it just a small part?

Thanks in advance and thanks for the encouragement. :smile:
Reply 71
So according to this "sliding system" would I most probably get an interview with 9A*s at GCSE (school only offered 9 subjects) and 740 UKCAT, providing that the other areas of my application are on par as well?
Reply 72
Hi. Thanks for the help. Can I ask what ukcat score you got if you do not mind? Also do Kings look at personal statements when deciding who gets chosen for interview or is it just a small part?

Thanks in advance and thanks for the encouragement. :smile:

Hi, yeah I got 725 on my UKCAT and I generally get the impression that to get to interview it is mainly about the UKCAT and your GCSE and AS results/A2 predictions. However, as with every medical school they are looking for well-rounded people so they will probably have a look at your personal statement as well - and it will definitely play a big part in your interview :smile:
Reply 73
So who else has applied for medicine then?
Reply 74
Original post by Yafaa
So who else has applied for medicine then?

Moi :smile:

Sent the app last week but haven't received a confirmation email from KCL yet :no:
i got 6A*s and 3As for my GCSEs
5As at AS (Bio, Chem, Maths and general studies)
and 665 in my UKCAT
do i have a chance at being invited for interview? :\
Reply 76
Original post by ChocolateMilk95
i got 6A*s and 3As for my GCSEs
5As at AS (Bio, Chem, Maths and general studies)
and 665 in my UKCAT
do i have a chance at being invited for interview? :\

I am not sure because when i went on the open day, every student there said that if you don't have a UKCAT score of 700+ then you should have good-ish GCSEs and so I think you will get an interview, especially with your AS grades. :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by oli_G
Moi :smile:

Sent the app last week but haven't received a confirmation email from KCL yet :no:

I sent mine last Tuesday. Any idea when we start hearing from them?
Original post by singh12
I had a score of 665 but wasn't enough to get me an interview at King's. In their feedback they mentioned that there were strong candidates and they only interview around 800 or so out of 4000 applicants.

Also, King's is looking for marks in high 60's if you have done a master's. I am not 100% sure if this applies to candidates who meet the minimum requirements through their first degree (BSc) so it is better to clarify with them before wasting your choice.

Thanks for answering my question. I don't think I'll take the risk applying to King's, as much as I would like to study there. Best of luck with your application this year! :smile:
Reply 79
AS Level: 4 A's

UKCAT: 762.5
VR: 660
QR: 770
AR: 860
DA: 760

GCSES: 6A*s 6A's
Predicted: 3A*'s

Im stuck as to whether to apply to Nottingham Leeds or Kings for my last two! Please help!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest