The Student Room Group

The Filofax Appreciation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys.
I'll be joining uni this September and I really need a few tips for keeping a Filofax at uni. Any tips for keeping a planner/organiser at university will be highly appreciated. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. Need some opinions!

I currently have a pocket Metropol in kingfisher blue that my partner's gran bought me for Christmas, and a personal-sized organiser in red that my partner's mum gifted to me (I think she used to be involved with Ferrari or something). My dilemma is that I prefer the pocket for aesthetics (it's a beautiful colour!) but I prefer the personal for actual size - the pocket is a tad small to write on and I have to take every page out to write on it. I'll provide photos of both. I'm not sure which to use as my organiser. Please help! :frown:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249035.676828.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249045.094715.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249053.856087.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249062.493082.jpg
Sorry. I'm new to the app! The rest of the photos are here:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249125.812732.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249133.780063.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249143.489405.jpg
Original post by snowyowl
Sorry. I'm new to the app! The rest of the photos are here:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249125.812732.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249133.780063.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1377249143.489405.jpg

That is amazing!
Original post by SoftMusk
That is amazing!

So you think I should use the red personal?

To everyone - I was thinking of making the blue one like a notebook (I have a hell of a lot of lined paper for it) - what do you reckon?

To everyone - I was thinking of making the blue one like a notebook (I have a hell of a lot of lined paper for it) - what do you reckon?

Sounds like the red is a much more practical choice - and I love the extra bit that folds over the front!

If you still need to take pages out to write in it will it be much use as a notebook though? Maybe as a lists book as you can stay further away from the rings if you're only writing a tiny bit per line?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Sounds like the red is a much more practical choice - and I love the extra bit that folds over the front!

If you still need to take pages out to write in it will it be much use as a notebook though? Maybe as a lists book as you can stay further away from the rings if you're only writing a tiny bit per line?

I was thinking that, although I hope my partner's gran won't be too upset that I'm not using it as a diary, - I do plan to use it for something else though! To be honest my partner will probably be more annoyed about it than she will!

I will trial the red organiser for a few weeks and see how it goes. I do like the lists idea, although I'm not sure how often I write lists. I just thought I'd use a notebook more - but you're right, taking the pages out to write on would be a pain.

I need ideas :frown:

The red one has a cool layout!
I'd personal go for that one. If the pocket is too awkward to write in, you may find that you're not using it 'properly'. Like, the personal may be easier to get into keeping updated.
the red one is amazing
So I've moved to the red one for my main organiser. I've decided to use the blue one for financial things like bills. Here's how the red one looks. How else can I brighten it up?image.jpg
So I've moved to the red one for my main organiser. I've decided to use the blue one for financial things like bills. Here's how the red one looks. How else can I brighten it up?image.jpg

I love those little month stickers you have in the corner - where did you get them from? Also, do you have an idea as to which size paperchase refills/inserts might fit a classic franklin covey?
I love those little month stickers you have in the corner - where did you get them from? Also, do you have an idea as to which size paperchase refills/inserts might fit a classic franklin covey?

I don't know about the FC, sorry :frown: but I got the stickers from Paperchase! :h:
I don't know about the FC, sorry :frown: but I got the stickers from Paperchase! :h:

Ah, ok no problems - I just have that is waiting to be used so wanting to use it hopefully when I graduate and get a job! Those stickers are so cool! I really need to get down to paperchase now!
I really need either a day per page or day per two pages inserts for my personal Finsbury and I either can't find any nice ones/can't afford the nice ones. WHY MUST WE STUDENTS BE SO POOR?!
Ah, ok no problems - I just have that is waiting to be used so wanting to use it hopefully when I graduate and get a job! Those stickers are so cool! I really need to get down to paperchase now!

I love Paperchase! :love:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I really need either a day per page or day per two pages inserts for my personal Finsbury and I either can't find any nice ones/can't afford the nice ones. WHY MUST WE STUDENTS BE SO POOR?!

Get blank personal size paper and print it yourself? Then you can have it designed exactly how you want it.
I love Paperchase! :love:

I know, even from the outside of the store it stands out amongst the rest!! I can't find the stickers online, do you have a link? If not I will have to go in-store and buy a whole lot of other stuff aswell haha:biggrin:
Reply 837
I find my personal finsbury quite hard to write in, yet everyone else seems fine with it. The rings just get in my way so I thought maybe an A5 would be better but I looked at one today and its HUGE :frown: argh!
Original post by lotteeee.
I find my personal finsbury quite hard to write in, yet everyone else seems fine with it. The rings just get in my way so I thought maybe an A5 would be better but I looked at one today and its HUGE :frown: argh!

Have you tried rearranging what you have in there? If you have it so that the pages you write on most are right in the centre, with lots of pages either side, it should be almost flat with the rings so they don't impede on your writing so much. With that change I can write on most of the page, it's just the left hand page near the rings that my handwriting falls apart.
Reply 839
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Have you tried rearranging what you have in there? If you have it so that the pages you write on most are right in the centre, with lots of pages either side, it should be almost flat with the rings so they don't impede on your writing so much. With that change I can write on most of the page, it's just the left hand page near the rings that my handwriting falls apart.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to rearrange it all which means making new divders! I use my diary most and that's the first section maybe that's why it's tricky to write in.

Thanks again :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending