The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Collingwood's "disco" after formals is truely terrible. The bar get's rammed though and the atmostphere is very good. Many people get taxi's/Nightbus into town afterwards.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 101
MyNameIsDave
The most active social people tend to have a social life involving parties and going out, which tends to involve alcohol, yes.

This summer, my social life has involved frisbees, and building forts in my friend's front room. You really don't need alcohol to have fun with people. :biggrin:
Awoodrow2
This summer, my social life has involved frisbees, and building forts in my friend's front room. You really don't need alcohol to have fun with people. :biggrin:

Well, I dunno, building forts isn't my thing. You don't *need* alcohol, but the things that many people enjoy - like nights out, parties (as in proper parties), and going to the pub - are a lot more fun with alcohol. And when people ask about social life they usually mean those things.

We've discussed it before though :p:
Reply 103
MyNameIsDave
Well, I dunno, building forts isn't my thing. You don't *need* alcohol, but the things that many people enjoy - like nights out, parties (as in proper parties), and going to the pub - are a lot more fun with alcohol. And when people ask about social life they usually mean those things.

We've discussed it before though :p:

Yeah, but that doesn't stop me arguing the toss. :o:

I've gotten into a weirdly good mood, considering how I was feeling earlier.
Reply 104
So what's close to the Science block, is keen on rowing and other sports and so has gyms and other good sports facilities? Basically, are there any particularly traditional colleges, plus with good facilities??
Reply 105
Castle is big on rowing but isn't near Science, the more traditional colleges are in the Bailey area not up the hill.
Reply 106
Milderts is blatantly the best.
Is Ustinov alright? How about accommodation? I am a post-grad and was told that's where all the post-grads are.
Reply 108
I'm a postgrad and I'm in Castle, post grads can be in any college but Ustinov is a postgrad only college.
Reply 109
My. This thread was created 2 years ago people! Haha.

In response to Bunkd, if you're wanting good rowing facilities then Hild Bede, Collingwood, Cuths are the best for that. Castle is a successful team but not fantastic facilities.

But then out of those, Collingwood is closest to the science site (though all within 15-25mins walk).

And I wouldn't particularly class Collingwood or Cuths as "traditional".

So make your choice from that :wink:
Reply 110
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Nah, its because you Butler's are too poor to have your food cooked for you :p:

We don't cook. we eat out! LOL!
dla2mpz
We don't cook. we eat out! LOL!

By sneaking into other colleges? :p:
Reply 112
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
By sneaking into other colleges? :p:

Is that what u call food? LMAO..
Reply 113
Hey,
I'm still undecided about which College to apply to at Durham. Living in one of the old Bailey buildings is important to me, but I also a) don't want to share a room, and b) would prefer to have an en-suite.

Is this combination possible anywhere? I know it's not possible at Castle. I don't really need an en-suite, but the single rooms at University College are very small (which aren't actually in the castle), aren't they?

Thanks,
Patrick
Van Mildert is clearly better because it has its own recording studio
Reply 115
yourcodenameis:milo
Van Mildert is clearly better because it has its own recording studio

In that respect at least they're the same since Collingwood also has a recording studio - they were set up at the same time using a big grant from the Music Department. There are 16 twin rooms in Collingwood and fewer than 32 volunteers for sharing most years so sharing can't be absolutely ruled out. That might tip the balance if it's really important to you.
astro67
In that respect at least they're the same since Collingwood also has a recording studio - they were set up at the same time using a big grant from the Music Department. There are 16 twin rooms in Collingwood and fewer than 32 volunteers for sharing most years so sharing can't be absolutely ruled out. That might tip the balance if it's really important to you.

Given false info then, was told Van Mildert was the only one to have a studio
This thread's about the colleges of Durham Uni, are you talking about 6th form/FE colleges?
Reply 118
I have no bias and I like the appearance of Hatfield College. It looks like a grammar school.
Sorry to have to break it to you, but you can't go to the best college in Durham Uni if your doing physics....SNOW! :adore:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest