The Student Room Group

I won't have any friends in sixth form.

After finishing my GCSEs I'm going into the sixth form at my school. I have a very small friend group if you can even call it that (4 people me included) and none of them are going into sixth form, it's not just because they don't want to but they probably won't pass enough GCSEs for it even if they did so I can say definitevely that I won't have any friends in sixth form. I also most likely won't be able to find new friends in people coming to the school as my brother has told me that there are only like 10 new people each year and they all fall into big friend groups, other people in my year aren't an option either for various reasons. Am I alone in this and will I really be left friendless?
Original post by Anon7548
After finishing my GCSEs I'm going into the sixth form at my school. I have a very small friend group if you can even call it that (4 people me included) and none of them are going into sixth form, it's not just because they don't want to but they probably won't pass enough GCSEs for it even if they did so I can say definitevely that I won't have any friends in sixth form. I also most likely won't be able to find new friends in people coming to the school as my brother has told me that there are only like 10 new people each year and they all fall into big friend groups, other people in my year aren't an option either for various reasons. Am I alone in this and will I really be left friendless?

Only 10 new people per year, this seems incredibly unrealistic as these people will be split into many different classes and would leave practically one-on-one tutoring, which would be strange!?
Is that per class or for the whole of Yr 12, you may want to confirm this.
Have you applied to more than one school?
Most sixth forms and colleges have induction days in July, are you attending.
Most sixth forms and colleges publish their results, check this as it wil show you the total entries of the school, which will show you the rough amount of people in Yr 13 and Yr12 will be similar.
(edited 1 year ago)

Im sure there is more than 10 people in a year group double check this by looking at the schools results which is usually on their website

There shoud also be an induction day at some point in July so you can see what its like

Have you only applied to one school?

If all else fails check out some other similar threads
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7258065
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7130043

Im sure there is more than 10 people check the website for results, then look for how many entries came from the school

There are many threads on here about making friends in and out of sixth form i recommend you check them out
having so many friends, is it that important? just enjoy your own company as much as you can...it really shouldn't be that hard
Reply 5
Original post by daniell0778
Only 10 new people per year, this seems incredibly unrealistic as these people will be split into many different classes and would leave practically one-on-one tutoring, which would be strange!?
Is that per class or for the whole of Yr 12, you may want to confirm this.
Have you applied to more than one school?
Most sixth forms and colleges have induction days in July, are you attending.
Most sixth forms and colleges publish their results, check this as it wil show you the total entries of the school, which will show you the rough amount of people in Yr 13 and Yr12 will be similar.

Did I miscommunicate something here? If so what I meant to say was there are very few new people coming into the school with most of the year staying for sixth form. My secondary school has sixth form integrated so most secondary students carry on into A levels at the same school. It's a full year of people but I know most of them, that's the problem.
Reply 6

this is literally my situation now… i’ve befriended some people i never thought i’d be friends with. my advice is don’t rush any friendships and see how you feel hanging out alone, reading or doing homework, etc.
Reply 7
Is it truly vital to have an abundance of friends? Sometimes, relishing your own company can be just as enjoyable, and it doesn't have to be a challenging endeavor.
Original post by daniell0778
Im sure there is more than 10 people check the website for results, then look for how many entries came from the school
There are many threads on here about making friends in and out of sixth form i recommend you check them out
Clearly they mean 10 people external to the school join 6th form each year, in addition to all the people coming up from GCSEs at the same school...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending