The Student Room Group

What uni should I apply for - physics/mech eng?

Hi year 12 here, I’ve recently made the decision that I want to stay local (north west) for my uni. That has left me with 3 choices Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds. I want to study physics or mechanical engineering. I loved Lancaster when I visited and had friends tell me good things but after reading others posts it has given me doubts. I’m not big on the night life and at the moment I would like to end up as an academic/researcher. Only other factor is I could live at home with liverpool. I liked all unis if anyone got any advice it would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by EtagPhysics
Hi year 12 here, I’ve recently made the decision that I want to stay local (north west) for my uni. That has left me with 3 choices Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds. I want to study physics or mechanical engineering. I loved Lancaster when I visited and had friends tell me good things but after reading others posts it has given me doubts. I’m not big on the night life and at the moment I would like to end up as an academic/researcher. Only other factor is I could live at home with liverpool. I liked all unis if anyone got any advice it would be appreciated, thanks!

Also if anyone knows of a good safety uni for my 5th choice

Hi!

Glad to hear you are interested in Lancaster! I have really enjoyed my time here! Lancaster is a smaller city so the nightlife scene may be a bit quieter than cities like Liverpool or Leeds but there are still plenty of things to do and events to get involved in. The factor I found most important when I was applying to university was the course. I would suggest taking a look at the course pages for the courses you are interested in and having a look at the modules available to see what interests you more.

Here are the links to Lancasters course pages if you are interested: Physics, Mechanical Engineering

I hope this helps, I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about Lancaster! :smile:
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

You don't have to use all five choices and out of the ones your have listed, Liverpool's entry requirements would mean it could be your insurance option. What have you read about Lancaster that has put you off? @Ghostlady might be able to address some of your concerns as her DD studies physics there.

I've changed the title of your thread slightly to get more responses.

Hi,

I study natural sciences at Lancaster (physics and environmental science). I'm in my third year now and I mostly study physics so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

One thing I've enjoyed so far about physics at Lancaster are the range of modules available from astrophysics to quantum information processing and energy. The course has different 'pathways' such as Quantum Technology, Particle Physics and Particle Physics with Theoretical Cosmology. This is really helpful in guiding your studies as you progress to more advanced topics in third and fourth year (if you stay and do an integrated master's).

I've also really enjoyed the range of laboratory modules available and I've definitely gained a lot of transferable skills from these courses. Another thing I have found useful is the open door policy as it means that the lecturers are really accessible for asking questions or having discussions. There is a really strong sense of community within the department as a whole; the atrium in the physics building is a great space to have lunch or work on problem sheets in a group and there is an active physics society that runs events like games and pizza nights.

The careers service at Lancaster is really supportive, and I've benefitted from both the university-wide service and the careers service within the physics department. There's a course page dedicated to physics careers where internship and graduate opportunities (including PhDs), talks, open-access courses and other information is advertised.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Thanks @normaw for the recommendation. My daughter is a 4th year at Lancaster uni studying physics. She is going into research for a phd at Manchester uni in particle physics. Lancaster I highly recommend. Physics has a superb reputation at Lancaster. It was unique due to it being covid year she joined, but the uni was one of the best when it came to putting on events even in lockdown situations. And the staff in the physics department are amazing. If ever you need anything, she just goes to their office and ask. Second year was a tough year for her as she was going through a lot of personal / health stuff and her department really helped her. She had regular contact sessions with her supervisor and the head of department, and in third year she came out with a first, and is averaging a 2:1 at the moment before she heads off for 4th year exams. The physics dept has been amazing with the high level of support and cant praise them enough for how they have helped.
Also with that support, she did 2 internships there. one was in tau neutrinos voluntary in first year. Second year she did a paid one in proton decay.
She is not a drinker. Shes tee total and she went for a grizedale townhouse lol. She went because of the covid lockdown thing and wanted to be in the biggest flat and they had a great time. They still had flat parties between them, but by the end of the year when things lifted, they was starting to develop their own friendship groups. Second year she lived with 7 of her flatmates, and third year she was in private halls and she really loved that. 4th year shes at Chancellors wharf, a uni owned accommodation in the city. She has been to Sugar, Vibe and Generation night club, but its not her scene. Shes more a drink at the local or a pub quiz in the city. She also goes for a drink (cola) with friends at pendle rooms on campus, and play badminton sometimes. Weekends she sees her boyfriend and he lives in Manchester, so catching the train there is pretty easy. And theres morecambe as well she sometimes goes bowling with friends. She also looked at leeds on open day and she loved it, but when she saw lancaster she felt it was a better fit and leeds she would be overwhelmed in a big city since we come from a village. Now shes in Lancaster, Manchester, another big city does not seem so scary lol. in year three she did a group project firing some lasers at beans to see if they were radioactive with 5 others, and they all contributed to the report. year 4 is a masters project (dissertation) where she works on her own. I facetimed her the other day and I did ask her how she felt her moving on in September, and she really is going to miss the place. She knows her friends apart from a couple are moving on to London, ireland etc so she knows its the right time for the next project (in neutrino physics).

As you are year 12, its definitely worth going round Lancaster again and also asking the physics dept students.
Tineke is a phd student at Lancaster and one of the ambassadors here so hope he sees this post.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Thanks everyone for your advice. To clarify a few things i have been round Lancaster for an open day and I have a few friends there and have heard nothing but good things. My concern comes from reading posts where people dismiss Lancaster and I am worried that an employer would prefer somebody from Leeds or Liverpool because they are Russel group, even though Lancaster is a better university. Finally I am worried about sharing a kitchen as I have a pretty serious allergy, and food for me is generally more expensive, so I would struggle to afford a separate studio additionally the college I like doesn’t even offer studios . This wouldn’t be a problem in Liverpool.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Thanks everyone for your advice. To clarify a few things i have been round Lancaster for an open day and I have a few friends there and have heard nothing but good things. My concern comes from reading posts where people dismiss Lancaster and I am worried that an employer would prefer somebody from Leeds or Liverpool because they are Russel group, even though Lancaster is a better university. Finally I am worried about sharing a kitchen as I have a pretty serious allergy, and food for me is generally more expensive, so I would struggle to afford a separate studio additionally the college I like doesn’t even offer studios . This wouldn’t be a problem in Liverpool.

Employers don't look at where you studied, they are looking at what you will bring to the job in terms of skills and experience so forget the Russell Group nonsense. If any of your courses offer opportunities for placements and/or internships, that's what will add to your graduate CV.

Contact the accommodation offices for all the unis you are considering and ask whether they put together flats of students with the same allergies. I know a student with a severe nut allergy who is in a flat just for students with the same issue.

The russell group thing, the employers do not take it into consideration much unless it was like oxbridge, imperial and the likes. Lancaster does get funding for physics and can hold its own when it comes to funding against the ones like russell group unis. She turned down York as Lancaster was a better fit for her on the course moudles, and opportunities, and that was the basis of her decision, so you do what best for you 🙂 And all colleges are quite similar and dont really make much of a difference as they all have a bar, and all have students of varying degrees living together. If you cannot afford a studio, have a word with the accommodation manager. google the college name and lancaster uni and each college had their own webpage with contacts on there. You can ask them about the allergies and how they go about facilitating that and if you can put that in your application in special notes (hard to remember but im sure there must be somewhere you can state it in your application)
Reply 9

Lincoln only give unconditional offers, so its pretty safe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending