Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Gingerbread101
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm looking for a college to do undergrad law. I'm not overly picky, but I'd prefer something with a lot of history and older buildings as I find them far more attractive. I don't mind sharing a room but want to make sure the college would be really friendly (and also do well academically)

Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

Older buildings and history means you'll want to be on the Bailey. I'm most certainly biased, but the friendliest colleges are the smallest. Have a look at John's and Chad's. At Chads its very likely that you'll be sharing a room, at John's that's not so much the case. Both do very well academically. Both have gowned dinners - though they're twice as frequent at Chad's. John's formals have better food though (source: Chad's students).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by NJam
Older buildings and history means you'll want to be on the Bailey. I'm most certainly biased, but the friendliest colleges are the smallest. Have a look at John's and Chad's. At Chads its very likely that you'll be sharing a room, at John's that's not so much the case. Both do very well academically. Both have gowned dinners - though they're twice as frequent at Chad's. John's formals have better food though (source: Chad's students).

I'll check them out :smile:
I know this is a bit random, but what are their libraries like?
Reply 1242
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'll check them out :smile:
I know this is a bit random, but what are their libraries like?

Haven't a clue about Chad's, John's is pretty good! It gets very busy around the exam period but during the rest of the year there's usually space to work. It's also quite well stocked, though considerably smaller than the main libraries. Bill Bryson library is at the science site (no more than 10 mins walk) and it has somewhere around a million books/texts in it, and you can request books that you can't find in there. There's also a lot of books which are available online through the library. And when you're using the university internet (i.e. in your college room) you'll have access to loads of Journals for papers etc.
Hey there, could anyone recommend me a catered Durham college that serves particularly healthy food, if there is one?! I have visited the two self-catering colleges, but was underwhelmed by both, especially st Cuth's. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Kokopod
Hey there, could anyone recommend me a catered Durham college that serves particularly healthy food, if there is one?! I have visited the two self-catering colleges, but was underwhelmed by both, especially st Cuth's. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

I'm self-catered myself, but I do know that all the food between the colleges is the same, so none is more "healthy" than the other. I'm sure there are plenty of healthy options, but someone who is/was catered can give you better advice on that :smile:
I'm not sure which college at Durham to apply to, I've narrowed it down to Collingwood, Josephine Butler and Greys but I'm not sure which of these are best
Original post by StephAS
I'm not sure which college at Durham to apply to, I've narrowed it down to Collingwood, Josephine Butler and Greys but I'm not sure which of these are best

They're all very much different colleges, and the best way to therefore narrow it down would be to think about what it is you want out of college life? Do you want to be catered or self-catered? Do you have any particular interests - sports, music, drama, other societies? What about the accommodation - would you be happy sharing a room? If you think about your priorities, then it'll be easier to find the best college for what you want.
I'll make this one quick, maths student, does not care about ensuite or catering (though would like there to be some sort of catering should I simply be not bothered to cook), I'd prefer to have a room to myself. On my visits to Durham I've hated the hills and would prefer to minimise both my number of hills and how long I spent walking to the maths department.

Which college does that put me at?
Reply 1248
Original post by akakaka
I'll make this one quick, maths student, does not care about ensuite or catering (though would like there to be some sort of catering should I simply be not bothered to cook), I'd prefer to have a room to myself. On my visits to Durham I've hated the hills and would prefer to minimise both my number of hills and how long I spent walking to the maths department.

Take your pick of Grey, Mary's or Trevelyan.
Is it just me or does the first post say it was posted in 1970:confused:
Reply 1250
Original post by joecaverly
Is it just me or does the first post say it was posted in 1970:confused:

TSR is pretty old yo.
Original post by akakaka

Original post by NJam
Take your pick of Grey, Mary's or Trevelyan.

Van Mildert if you prefer to have a room to yourself. You are guranteed a single room as a 1st year. It's a 5 minute walk to all your maths lectures and it won't kill you having to walk back up half of the hill. Mildert is fully catered also. If you have a medical issue or a personal reason as to why you should have an ensuite the college does take this into account if you add that information in. Space in the En-suite block is limited however and mostly reserved for finalists.
Hello!
I am thinking of applying to Castle at Durham as I love the formal halls.
How are the accommodation blocks that aren't in the castle themselves as I did not get to see any of them on the open day?
Are they nice, modern, clean? etc...
And are they close to the castle? So that you don't feel a grudge that you have to leave for meals all the time?
Also, if biology wants AAA and I want to apply to castle, should I resit and exam to get A*AA?
Reply 1254
Original post by hope1817
Also, if biology wants AAA and I want to apply to castle, should I resit and exam to get A*AA?

Not sure what you're asking here. If biology want AAA, get AAA or better. Your college has no bearing on whether you receive an offer or not.
Original post by NJam
Not sure what you're asking here. If biology want AAA, get AAA or better. Your college has no bearing on whether you receive an offer or not.

Oh okay, I thought you apply to the college directly and then they can pool you if you're good enough but too many people have applied there
Reply 1256
Oh okay, I thought you apply to the college directly and then they can pool you if you're good enough but too many people have applied there

Nope, the department decides whether or not to make you an offer. If they do, your application is passed on and you are allocated a college (somehow, not quite sure since they've changed their methods recently apparently).
Original post by NJam
Nope, the department decides whether or not to make you an offer. If they do, your application is passed on and you are allocated a college (somehow, not quite sure since they've changed their methods recently apparently).

Thank you very much! So is it like random which college you get?
Reply 1258
Thank you very much! So is it like random which college you get?

To be honest I've been told a lot of conflicting stories about how Colleges are chosen now, so I can't really answer that question, sorry!
Can someone recommend a college please?

Wants:
To not share a room
To have an en suite
To be near shops
To be near lectures (I am going to study Law)
Not fully catered

I would prefer the college to be modern and informal but this is criteria is less important than the 5 aforementioned.

Going by https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/ Butler, John Snow and Stephenson are appropriate options I think but I don't know if they are close to the law lectures.

Any help?

Quick Reply

Latest