The Student Room Group

The A*AB problem - reapplying 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GarethEvans
Thanks, I am proud of them, but the B at 79% is quite annoying!

Original offer was for English at King's, AAA but didn't get in with A*A*B. My subjects were English Literature, History and Welsh Second Language (so hard!). I also have AAAAA at AS and regret not taking the easier route to a likely A.

I'm going to Cardiff to study English Literature, however I do feel slightly underwhelmed with it all!

ahhh that really sucks, I'm so sorry! Probably a lot of people made their offers. A friend of mine is going to do History there and their offer was A*AA but they got AAB and still got in. Sometimes life isn't fair - believe me, I've definitely had more than my fair share of bad luck :frown:

Original post by Negaduck
Did you not have an insurance choice? Or do you just really not want to go there?

Yeah Loughborough AAB but just didn't want to go there. And I know this was a bad move but I never even looked around there!

Original post by 04ghicks
Last year I got A*AB in geography, RS and maths, and geography was the subject I was applying for! Despite my A* I still got rejected by Christ Church Oxford who wanted AAA :'( And my B was 2ums from an A!

So I went to my insurance (Sheffield) and haven't looked back! Had a great year with great new friends and I've been heavily involved in a load of social/ extra-curricular stuff to the extent that I probably couldn't have at Oxford with all the academic pressure. Not saying I wouldn't have enjoyed Oxford like a bitter reject or anything, just saying that I didn't get into my first choice and it all turned out great!

So yeah, what's your insurance choice, did you get into it, and why don't you go there? I mean I don't know your situation/ ambitions so maybe taking a year out to get into a better uni would be good for you, but a year is a long time and its gonna be pretty depressing! Keep in mind TSR romanticises the idea of top universities far more than the normal world does.

I like to believe that everything happens for a reason so hopefully missing my offer for LSE this year is a good thing and that I will do well and have fun wherever I end up next year :smile: I completely get what you mean about Oxford - I was kinda worried that I wouldn't enjoy uni (social wise) as much as my friends if I went to LSE due to the ridic work load etc.

My insurance was Loughborough but I'm not really sure why I put it down - I only applied because it was the only uni I could find with AAB. When I put it down as my insurance I never had any intention of going there. I go to a girls grammar school so there's practically no one not going to uni at all and only a handful taking a gap year, apart from that everyone else is off to uni this year! So believe me when I say my whole school romanticises the idea of top unis - bit of real life TSR haha. This past week since results has felt like a lifetime and it's slowly dawning on me how long this next year is gonna be but I'm still determined to get there eventually. Right now I'm freaking out cos I never planned a gap year, have no work experience lined up which doesn't help me as an economics applicant and then there's the pressure of having to do well in my retakes....... but I'm sure it'll all work out eventually :/
Reply 21
Im in a similar situation. i was going to do accoumting and finance at lse. i missed my offer as aqa lost my physics paper and ended up with AAB (MATHS, ECO ,PHYSICS). i taking a gap year and going to retake that lost physics paper in january. I plan to travel a lot as i doubt ill get time later. does resitting one exam count as retaking the year?
Reply 22
Original post by rg239
Im in a similar situation. i was going to do accoumting and finance at lse. i missed my offer as aqa lost my physics paper and ended up with AAB (MATHS, ECO ,PHYSICS). i taking a gap year and going to retake that lost physics paper in january. I plan to travel a lot as i doubt ill get time later. does resitting one exam count as retaking the year?

Aqa LOST your paper?! That is awful. The system really does need sorting out if I'm honest, these are people's futures that they're messing with and opportunities like LSE don't always come round again. I'm so sorry. It's not exactly retaking a year but retaking an exam does mean that you didn't get all your grades in the first sitting - in your case you can get your school to put it in your reference that your paper went missing which is entirely AQAs fault and has nothing to do with your grade. Good luck with your retake and hope you get what you need this time round :smile:
Reply 23
Do you think lse will accept this as when i told them about my circumstances, they just said that its unfortunate i didnt meet my offer. should i take a fourth alevel to compensate or will that not help my application? Lse also said applicants resitting would be at a disadvantage.
Original post by rg239
Do you think lse will accept this as when i told them about my circumstances, they just said that its unfortunate i didnt meet my offer. should i take a fourth alevel to compensate or will that not help my application? Lse also said applicants resitting would be at a disadvantage.

Even if you're at a disadvantage, you can still be successful, if your application is strong elsewhere, just don't pin all your hopes on LSE.
Reply 25
Ok i think my ps was pretty strong and next year i will have to go to uni no matter what so ill be appying to others too. thanks
Reply 26
Original post by rg239

tbh I don't they should count it as being your fault as losing a paper is completely out of your control - have you spoken to your school and the exam board about it? You shouldn't have to compensate for it if it isn't your fault!
Reply 27
Also does anyone know why my thread has been moved to the Oxbridge section?! It has nothing to do with Oxbridge...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending