The Student Room Group

Chemistry undergrad Lancaster vs York

Hello! I am struggling to decide my insurance choice as I am undecided between Uni of Lancaster and Uni of York. I have applied to the MChem Hons Chemistry with Year Abroad in both unis. The requested grades are quite similar (AC for York and AB for Lancaster - I have already done an A level). I have gone to York's offer holder event, but not to Lancaster's and I am not sure I'll be able to as I live in the South West and it's quite far. I liked York's uni but I also like Lancaster course modules. Therefore, I wanted to ask for some advice/information regarding both departments and universities? Thanks a lot for any help!
Bit confused here - Lancaster isn't in the South West .......
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Bit confused here - Lancaster isn't in the South West .......

I meant that I live in the South west, so Lancaster is a bit far to visit for me
Both places are about the same distance from Bristol (as an example) - and you will be surrounded by people who have also come from other areas of the UK , and overseas. Unis are very good at making you feel welcome and getting everyone over the 'leaving home' moment. Once you have been there for a few weeks, you will wonder what you were so worried about. Both Unis are small, and both are in relatively small places. This makes feeling at home easier, as its logistically easier and you have a sense of ownership and 'belonging' more quickly.

Have a look at the Open Day films on YouTube for both Unis and think about where you will feel happiest.
'Course' is important and if Lancaster's suits your interests better then that is an important consideration.

Finally - you don't have to have an Insurance offer. You can just pick your Firm and let all of the others go.
This would mean that if you didnt get your Firm choice in August you could look at Clearing places (always a gamble), or take a gap year and reassess your options before reapplying for 2025 entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending