The Student Room Group

can I do one year pharmacy and then move to medicine?

Hi
Im afraid my predicted grades wont match the required grades needed for medicine thus I doubt I will get into medical school in 2024.
I was thinking of maybe doing one year in pharmacy /pharmacology instead of taking a gap year and the reapply to med.
Can that happen because some people told me that I cant do that.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by userr456
Hi
Im afraid my predicted grades wont match the required grades needed for medicine thus I doubt I will get into medical school in 2024.
I was thinking of maybe doing one year in pharmacy /pharmacology instead of taking a gap year and the reapply to med.
Thanks.

Several med schools will not accept applicants from people in the first year of a degree, so you would be limiting your options.
If you believe you can achieve AAA minimum, then apply to those that do not look at predicted grades this year, otherwise, take a gap year - why would you spend £9K starting something you do not want to do, as well as limiting your choices of med school?
Reply 2
Original post by GANFYD
Several med schools will not accept applicants from people in the first year of a degree, so you would be limiting your options.
If you believe you can achieve AAA minimum, then apply to those that do not look at predicted grades this year, otherwise, take a gap year - why would you spend £9K starting something you do not want to do, as well as limiting your choices of med school?

Thank you!
But which one are the ones that dont look at predicted grades? Could you please let me know as Ive been searching for many possible ways but I cant really find a lot of stuff
Reply 3
Thank you!
But which one are the ones that dont look at predicted grades? Could you please let me know as Ive been searching for many possible ways but I cant really find a lot of stuff

Read med school websites - thy will have this information. What grades do you think you will be predicted?
Those that don't consider predictions are Liverpool, Nottingham and Lincoln, Keele, Cardiff, KMMS, Aston,
Oxford also apparently say they do not look at predicted grades.

You would also need to check carefully whether you met any WA criteria (they are different for each med school, so will require a plough through websites) as this lowers accepted predictions and offers made.
More will accept AAB and some A*AB, especially with an EPQ
Hi
Thanks.

I would strongly advise against this if you only attend for a year and that's your plan you're taking away a space from another applicant who could reallt want a career solely in pharamcy. Focus on medical school and work hard but pharmacy should not be treated as a lesser course or a tool for medical school. You'll be fine if medical school is what you want you'll get there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending