The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You didn't. FOMaster did - don't know how I messed up that quote!

Sorry. <3

It's ok, I forgive you
theres only 4 people in my advanced chemistry class, not bad really as you get a lot of teacher time!
Reply 62
I'm thinking of doing chromatography for my investigation, has anyone done this in the past? Would you recommend it? Either that or preparation of Aspirin (stop applauding for my originality please :tongue:)
Reply 63
I apparently have my Unit 1 NAB on Thursday :eek:
Reply 64
Original post by rawragee

Eek! That's a little soon is it not!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Freaking hell, I thought our class was going fast.. Our nab is just before the September weekend.
Reply 66
Well, I did my NAB the first Monday back after summer holidays. It's not so bad: I lost half a mark because I used an unrounded answer (like you always should) in the second part of a calculation.

On the other hand, I've hardly done any of the PPAs and I haven't even started thinking about my investigation - we tend to leave that to the end in my school. There's only one other person in my class, but we don't really get any contact time apart from when we do practicals because our school is pretty small so we don't really have the teachers for AH classes - Highers take priority. The only class I have which is actually taught is my AH Maths.
Reply 67
Original post by Reece:)
Eek! That's a little soon is it not!?

Original post by TheFOMaster
Freaking hell, I thought our class was going fast.. Our nab is just before the September weekend.

um, yes very I think. I have no idea what my teacher's course plan/timeline for us is, all I know is that we have somehow covered the whole unit already and we're rushing through the course.. I think he wants to do unit 1&2 quickly, so we can spend time on our investigations and teach ourselves unit 3 at the same time at some point.. then I think we're doing a quick recap of the whole course right before the exam?
I have no idea. I think our whole class might fail the NAB though :rolleyes:
um, yes very I think. I have no idea what my teacher's course plan/timeline for us is, all I know is that we have somehow covered the whole unit already and we're rushing through the course.. I think he wants to do unit 1&2 quickly, so we can spend time on our investigations and teach ourselves unit 3 at the same time at some point.. then I think we're doing a quick recap of the whole course right before the exam?
I have no idea. I think our whole class might fail the NAB though :rolleyes:

I could understand going through so fast if everyone had done Higher Physics. But no way has everyone done Higher Physics! Not even one person in my class done Physics in S5 (4 of us doing it now though) and your self teaching a Unit? Have fun with that >.> Your teacher has a bad game plan.

I doubt everyone will fail... Good Luck :biggrin:
Original post by Simarilli
Well, I did my NAB the first Monday back after summer holidays. It's not so bad: I lost half a mark because I used an unrounded answer (like you always should) in the second part of a calculation.

On the other hand, I've hardly done any of the PPAs and I haven't even started thinking about my investigation - we tend to leave that to the end in my school. There's only one other person in my class, but we don't really get any contact time apart from when we do practicals because our school is pretty small so we don't really have the teachers for AH classes - Highers take priority. The only class I have which is actually taught is my AH Maths.

And my only AH that isn't taught is Maths. What a coincidence :tongue:
Reply 70
I could understand going through so fast if everyone had done Higher Physics. But no way has everyone done Higher Physics! Not even one person in my class done Physics in S5 (4 of us doing it now though) and your self teaching a Unit? Have fun with that >.> Your teacher has a bad game plan.

I doubt everyone will fail... Good Luck :biggrin:

ah, everyone in my class has, and most of us are doing AH this year which must make it easier to go through then :wink: well, apparently we're doing our investigations mainly in class time as we won't have access to any equipment/help/advice outside of lessons so we're learning the easiest unit in our own time then?

I'm pretty sure I will, I've missed about two weeks of school already :frown:
Reply 71
And my only AH that isn't taught is Maths. What a coincidence :tongue:

I remember the joys of self-teaching AH maths - last year I finished the Higher Maths course before christmas so I moved onto AH. There are so many mistakes in the textbooks we use that it is absolutely horrible - you really can't tell whether you or the book is wrong. I got to about halfway through Unit 2 by the time we started being taught, and I haven't done much more since then as I want to consolidate everything and make sure I actually can do it all.
ah, everyone in my class has, and most of us are doing AH this year which must make it easier to go through then :wink: well, apparently we're doing our investigations mainly in class time as we won't have access to any equipment/help/advice outside of lessons so we're learning the easiest unit in our own time then?

I'm pretty sure I will, I've missed about two weeks of school already :frown:

Ah :P My class is full of (former) Biologists :tongue: so we need to be explained some things like semi and super conductors which you wouldn't need to spend time on :smile:

Unit 3 is supposed to be the hardest though... Maybe I've heard wrong.

I remember the joys of self-teaching AH maths - last year I finished the Higher Maths course before christmas so I moved onto AH. There are so many mistakes in the textbooks we use that it is absolutely horrible - you really can't tell whether you or the book is wrong. I got to about halfway through Unit 2 by the time we started being taught, and I haven't done much more since then as I want to consolidate everything and make sure I actually can do it all.

It's not going so well at the moment for me. I'm like half an outcome behind, and I was gonna catch up tonight but I feel like sin, so I doubt I'll do it :tongue:
Reply 73
It's not going so well at the moment for me. I'm like half an outcome behind, and I was gonna catch up tonight but I feel like sin, so I doubt I'll do it :tongue:

If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me. I can probably help with any problem you might encounter in Unit 1.
If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me. I can probably help with any problem you might encounter in Unit 1.

I'll hold you to this! But I'll stay behind everyone else for now. I really don't have the will to do work atm.
Reply 75
Hey guys, thought I would make this thread so we can all discuss the course and help each other out! Will also be helpful to spark people's ideas for their investigations as I know it's hard to decide what to investigate!

Hope were all enjoying the course so far :P? We're currently doing unit 1 and 3 at the same time while working on our projects at home! Busy time!

Why/ HOW are you's learning units 1 and 3 simultaneously? This sounds genius/ risky
Reply 76
Original post by I am Ace
Why/ HOW are you's learning units 1 and 3 simultaneously? This sounds genius/ risky

My head is exploding haha! I have 2 teachers, both for a double period each so thats how they decided to do it :smile:! Unit 3 is a lot harder than unit one and there is stuff we haven't covered yet in unit 3 so it can be challenging at times but I'm coping:smile:!

Reply 77
My head is exploding haha! I have 2 teachers, both for a double period each so thats how they decided to do it :smile:! Unit 3 is a lot harder than unit one and there is stuff we haven't covered yet in unit 3 so it can be challenging at times but I'm coping:smile:!

I like that idea, your school is clearly far more advanced and intuitive than mine.
If only we had a democracy in which students get a say! Then again all the NEDs would vote to have 1 period a day, if only there was a way to include only then clever folk :frown:
Perhaps to be given the right to vote you have to solve a Mathematical equation? Or better yet, read a book without getting stuck on the word with >3 syllables...
Anyway, hopefully this thread picks up and we get more people commenting so we all benefit. Good work!
Reply 78
Original post by I am Ace
I like that idea, your school is clearly far more advanced and intuitive than mine.
If only we had a democracy in which students get a say! Then again all the NEDs would vote to have 1 period a day, if only there was a way to include only then clever folk :frown:
Perhaps to be given the right to vote you have to solve a Mathematical equation? Or better yet, read a book without getting stuck on the word with >3 syllables...
Anyway, hopefully this thread picks up and we get more people commenting so we all benefit. Good work!

Awww your school sounds like my school! A lot of non educated things turning up... Just last week we had a drunk girl turn up to French and someone on ecstasy in english! Would be a little unfair but I'd find that fun ;D! Yeah I hope so too! I need ideas for my project! I'm thinking electroplating atm....

Awww your school sounds like my school! A lot of non educated things turning up... Just last week we had a drunk girl turn up to French and someone on ecstasy in english! Would be a little unfair but I'd find that fun ;D! Yeah I hope so too! I need ideas for my project! I'm thinking electroplating atm....

People on drugs in school. How cute. My schools so much worse. Someone... failed... an exam...

I kinda lived a thug life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending