The Student Room Group

PBL: What's it like?

Im debating on whether I should go to the glasgow open day tomorrow due to the fact i remain unlikely to apply there because of doubts of their PBL scheme. I've heard a lot of bad reviews from other universities and their medical students as they believe it to be ineffective. Of course I know they may be bias or lack the experience of doing PBL so I'm just asking those who currently study in any PBL universities or know a lot about it if it is as bad as everyone says it is?
Reply 1
I don't believe any one way of learning is intrinsically 'bad,' it all comes down to how you learn as a person. I personally enjoy the PBL format, throwing ideas around a group and formulating my own learning objectives motivates me to work harder. Equally, some people prefer the traditional method of learning from textbooks and lectures. It really comes down to personal preference
Reply 2
A friend of mine told me that Glasgow has actually changed its programme and possibly dropped PBL as the major component. I've not looked into it so if anyone wants to confirm or deny this then by all means do so :smile:

Also, something that's been pointed out around here before is that 'PBL' medical schools don't just drop you into the proverbial deep end of PBL. You are guided and do have lectures, et cetera.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Which universities do do PBL?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Zedd
A friend of mine told me that Glasgow has actually changed its programme and possibly dropped PBL as the major component. I've not looked into it so if anyone wants to confirm or deny this then by all means do so :smile:

Also, something that's been pointed out around here before is that 'PBL' medical schools don't just drop you into the proverbial deep end of PBL. You are guided and do have lectures, et cetera.

When I was applying last year, they said they were dropping down by 1 PBL session a week. That if we entered, we'd be the first year to have that change. Unless they've changed it again for 2013 entry, the only difference would be that they now have one less session a week.

Original post by StudentAT
Which universities do do PBL?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Most of them, it's the extent to which they use them that differs. There's no comprehensive list available, unfortunately. I'm tempted to e-mail the universities to try to collate some information regarding this, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending