The Student Room Group

Leicester med school vs HYMS?

So I have offers for Leicester and HYMS for medicine, I’m not sure which to pick tbh. For HYMS I’ve been allocated hull. Both unis are about the same distance from my home so honestly don’t know which to go for. I am ware that Leicester is more prestigious and well established compared to HYMS and is a top 10 medicine uni. But will this matter when I become a doctor?
@GANFYD @Medpapa any advice??
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous_7871
@GANFYD @Medpapa any advice??

It will not matter in the slightest, if you are planning to practice in the UK, as all applications are blind to the med school attended.
Choose based on course, placements, location, accommodation, costs and how much you like them and give not one moment's thought to ranking or "prestige"
Original post by GANFYD
It will not matter in the slightest, if you are planning to practice in the UK, as all applications are blind to the med school attended.
Choose based on course, placements, location, accommodation, costs and how much you like them and give not one moment's thought to ranking or "prestige"

Right ok, I mean being a top 10 uni for medicine must mean a better course no? Both are PBL and both have early clinical placements. I can’t rlly see any reason to reject Leicester tbh 😅, I know this is probably a stupid question but what would you pick
Reply 4
Right ok, I mean being a top 10 uni for medicine must mean a better course no? Both are PBL and both have early clinical placements. I can’t rlly see any reason to reject Leicester tbh 😅, I know this is probably a stupid question but what would you pick

No, it doesn't mean a better course. Much of what makes up the "rankings" is irrelevant to med students, eg research, grad prospects and entry tariff. Plus, they all vary and change from year to year. There are some things, like student feedback, that are useful, but you have to look at several years to see what the trend is
Here, HYMS is above Leicester
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2023/sep/09/best-uk-universities-for-medicine-league-table

HYMS is PBL, but Leicester isn't, though it does use it a bit, I think. I would pick the one that felt right for me, but what I would want is likely to be very different from what you would want. Visit both, if you haven't already and see which one makes your heart sing, but forget about rankings, as they don't matter
Reply 5

Well I would choose Leicester out of those 2 as it’s generally regarded as the better med school.
Daughter is in second year at Leicester and finds the course excellent.

In the complete uni guide for medicine for student satisfaction this year Leicester was 3rd. HYMS was 26th out of 31.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine?sortby=student-satisfaction

Hull in my view is a bit of a dump and it’s a long way from anywhere. At one point it was voted the worst place to live in the U.K. If it was my only med school offer I would grab it with both hands. But it wouldn’t be my first choice. The reason they opened a med school there was they were struggling to get doctors.

Leicester is in the Lands of Mid. So not exactly brilliant either but most of the unis are in places you wouldn’t aspire to live. And it’s fairly centrally located if you want to visit friends at other unis. Or have them visit you.

Some U.K. med school degrees are more recognised internationally than others.
Leicester also beats HYMS in this regard.
And that may be relevant given the NHS is going to ….! Singapore is particularly fussy.

https://www.crimsoneducation.org/sg/blog/singapore-medical-council-approved-universities-australia-uk-nz-ireland/
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Medpapa
Well I would choose Leicester out of those 2 as it’s generally regarded as the better med school.
Daughter is in second year at Leicester and finds the course excellent.
In the complete uni guide for medicine for student satisfaction this year Leicester was 3rd. HYMS was 26th out of 31.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine?sortby=student-satisfaction
Hull in my view is a bit of a dump and it’s a long way from anywhere. At one point it was voted the worst place to live in the U.K. If it was my only med school offer I would grab it with both hands. But it wouldn’t be my first choice. The reason they opened a med school there was they were struggling to get doctors.
Leicester is in the Lands of Mid. So not exactly brilliant either but most of the unis are in places you wouldn’t aspire to live. And it’s fairly centrally located if you want to visit friends at other unis. Or have them visit you.
Some U.K. med school degrees are more recognised internationally than others.
Leicester also beats HYMS in this regard.
And that may be relevant given the NHS is going to ….! Singapore is particularly fussy.
https://www.crimsoneducation.org/sg/blog/singapore-medical-council-approved-universities-australia-uk-nz-ireland/

Thanks medpapa 🫡, just to be on the safe side imma go for Leicester and I’ll be totally honest it’s combination of the course structure and the rep also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending