The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What is the course like lol

Hey so I have an offer from York which is cool, but I'm wondering whether PBL gets repetitive after while? And what are opportunities like if you're not really interested in getting into corporate law (just because ik that's what York is kind of known for) :smile:) ty
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so I have an offer from York which is cool, but I'm wondering whether PBL gets repetitive after while? And what are opportunities like if you're not really interested in getting into corporate law (just because ik that's what York is kind of known for) :smile:) ty

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer!

I've been in touch with Professor Stephen Levett, Admissions Tutor at the York Law School about your questions and he sent this response:

"PBL is an approach to looking at legal issues. The breadth of the curriculum is the same as at any other law school, however, which means the topics we touch on are constantly changing and reflect the many fascinating aspects of law at home and abroad. We also do lots of other things in addition to PBL such as Legal Skills where you get the opportunity to have a go at law practice skills like interviewing a client and advocacy in the criminal court.

York Law School students go into a wide variety of careers including working as solicitors and barristers in all kinds of law firms and chambers. It is true that the majority of training contracts are with big commercial and corporate law firms but plenty of our students go into smaller High St law firms and other non-corporate legal careers. In addition, many go into other areas such as business, diplomacy, law tech start-ups and academia so we definitely do not just focus on corporate legal scenarios!"

I hope this helps :smile:
Helen
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer!

I've been in touch with Professor Stephen Levett, Admissions Tutor at the York Law School about your questions and he sent this response:

"PBL is an approach to looking at legal issues. The breadth of the curriculum is the same as at any other law school, however, which means the topics we touch on are constantly changing and reflect the many fascinating aspects of law at home and abroad. We also do lots of other things in addition to PBL such as Legal Skills where you get the opportunity to have a go at law practice skills like interviewing a client and advocacy in the criminal court.

York Law School students go into a wide variety of careers including working as solicitors and barristers in all kinds of law firms and chambers. It is true that the majority of training contracts are with big commercial and corporate law firms but plenty of our students go into smaller High St law firms and other non-corporate legal careers. In addition, many go into other areas such as business, diplomacy, law tech start-ups and academia so we definitely do not just focus on corporate legal scenarios!"

I hope this helps :smile:
Helen

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending