The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Student email (on Windows Live Mail)

I'm trying to set up my Coventry student email address with Windows Live Mail - The client I use instead of Outlook. Yeah, you can use Outlook online for free too, but I like to have all my emails in one place.

So the email I have is ***@uni.coventry.ac.uk

I just can't work out what settings I need to use - POP3, SMTP, outgoing and incoming servers. I thought I wouldn't need to do any of that, as it works through Outlook (Hotmail) anyway, so surely it's just default settings? But it doesn't recognise the email server, so it wants that info.

Has anyone been able to do this?

Cheers
Reply 1
On my iphone mail I have the server as pod51002.outlook.com - nothing else in the settings other than my email and password :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Caprice.
On my iphone mail I have the server as pod51002.outlook.com - nothing else in the settings other than my email and password :/

Did your phone do that by default, or did you have to tell it those details? I might just be able to find the Outlook server details and use those then.
Reply 3
Not sure, it's been a long time... I think it did it by default :/ I never use it to be honest, just forward it to my other email & then if I want to send one using my uni one I do it on my phone mail.

Reply 4
Ahh I see.

Well for anyone in a similar position, yesterday I was able to get incoming messages, but not send them. If you go to www.outlook.com you can sign in with your account. Then up in the top right corner beside "Options" is the help question mark. Click the dropdown menu and go to "About". It will give you a page of information, including the server settings.

Use the external POP and SMTP settings. So for me, it's the following:

External POP setting:
Server name: pod51002.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL

External SMTP setting:
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

Although, I have no idea what TLS encryption is, but I can use SSL on the inbound messages. So maybe that's why it's not sending messages.

Edit: Got it working. Use the full email address as your email username for the incoming mail server. Use clear text authentication too. The server requires authentication on the outgoing server, and tell it to use the same settings as the incoming mail server. I ended up using SSL encryption for inbound and outbound, and now it sends and receives just fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I can't even apply online on the computer

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Edotman
I can't even apply online on the computer

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well you should've rung them up on the 10th if you weren't able to enrol properly. Ring them up and hope they can sort you out before you move in!
Reply 7
Original post by SillyEddy
Ahh I see.

Use the external POP and SMTP settings. So for me, it's the following:

External POP setting:
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL

External SMTP setting:
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

Although, I have no idea what TLS encryption is, but I can use SSL on the inbound messages. So maybe that's why it's not sending messages.

Edit: Got it working. Use the full email address as your email username for the incoming mail server. Use clear text authentication too. The server requires authentication on the outgoing server, and tell it to use the same settings as the incoming mail server. I ended up using SSL encryption for inbound and outbound, and now it sends and receives just fine.

Thanks for this..... I was trying to figure it out earlier but I couldn't find the flipping settings - seems obvious now you point out where to find them but on first glance they aren't easy to spot!

I absolutely hate having to log into a website to pick up emails...why do all these sites like outlook, yahoo, google, etc, make it so annoying to find the correct settings for windows live or mac mail.
Reply 8
Original post by BigV
Thanks for this..... I was trying to figure it out earlier but I couldn't find the flipping settings - seems obvious now you point out where to find them but on first glance they aren't easy to spot!

I absolutely hate having to log into a website to pick up emails...why do all these sites like outlook, yahoo, google, etc, make it so annoying to find the correct settings for windows live or mac mail.

I'm glad to have helped. Yahoo is a bugger because you need an upgraded account to get your emails through a different client - Outlook, WLM, etc. I haven't tried Google accounts yet though. Hell, I'm still using an email account from the MSN days (and have others from the hotmail and live era)

Quick Reply

Latest