The Student Room Group

email problems - help

everytime I log onto email it keeps asking me to go to my recovery emial for a verification code. This keeps happening each time. why is this happening and what can i do?
Original post by Kutie Karen
everytime I log onto email it keeps asking me to go to my recovery emial for a verification code. This keeps happening each time. why is this happening and what can i do?

Have you every tried to do something on a web site and it's said, "We need to verify your identify. We've e-mailed a code to the e-mail address associated with this account. Please type it in here so we know it's really you." - or something like that?

Now suppose the web site which needs to verify your identify hosts your e-mail account (e.g. its gmail.com, or similar). It can't let you see your e-mails without you having verified you identify, meaning you can't access the code it wants to e-mail to you. So instead, when you set-up the e-mail account, it asked you for details of another e-mail account which could be used to recover access to your main account. That's what's happened here. That "other" e-mail account if called your recovery e-mail account.

Do you know your recovery e-mail account? It normally shows you part of it on screen, like kut********@hotmail.com, or whatever. If so, then just log into that e-mail account to see the email containing your verification code, then return to your main e-mail account and type it in.

If you don't know your recovery e-mail account (or can't log into it), see if there's a "Try another way" link (or similar) and it will try a different approach to recover access to your e-mail.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you every tried to do something on a web site and it's said, "We need to verify your identify. We've e-mailed a code to the e-mail address associated with this account. Please type it in here so we know it's really you." - or something like that?

Now suppose the web site which needs to verify your identify hosts your e-mail account (e.g. its gmail.com, or similar). It can't let you see your e-mails without you having verified you identify, meaning you can't access the code it wants to e-mail to you. So instead, when you set-up the e-mail account, it asked you for details of another e-mail account which could be used to recover access to your main account. That's what's happened here. That "other" e-mail account if called your recovery e-mail account.

Do you know your recovery e-mail account? It normally shows you part of it on screen, like kut********@hotmail.com, or whatever. If so, then just log into that e-mail account to see the email containing your verification code, then return to your main e-mail account and type it in.

If you don't know your recovery e-mail account (or can't log into it), see if there's a "Try another way" link (or similar) and it will try a different approach to recover access to your e-mail.

Thanks I have the recovery email and have done it several times today. I cannot log on without doing this each time which is really annoying and so longwinded. How can I sort this out and go back to normal again? Are there some settings or something?
Are you accessing your email account through different computers or through public wifi access?
Could be that the email provider always seeks a verification code to facilitate login whenever a new isp address is used or if all cookies are blocked.
Thanks I have the recovery email and have done it several times today. I cannot log on without doing this each time which is really annoying and so longwinded. How can I sort this out and go back to normal again? Are there some settings or something?

Oh. It wasn't clear from you original post that you'd successfully regained access to your original e-mail account.

I don't know what e-mail provider you're using, but it may be that it can't store a cookie (because you've opted to block them) to record the fact that the extra verification step has been completed. Hence it asks you each time.

Edit: This is essentially what @londonmyst has just suggested, it seems.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
Are you accessing your email account through different computers or through public wifi access?
Could be that the email provider always seeks a verification code to facilitate login whenever a new isp address is used or if all cookies are blocked.

No it is at home. Any idea how I can sort this out. It is causing me such a headache and gettign stressed.
No it is at home. Any idea how I can sort this out. It is causing me such a headache and gettign stressed.

Which internet browser are you using to login?
Is your email account with aol or gmail?

If you are accessing the internet through a device that uses a windows operating system, you can try adding the email provider's website to your trusted sites list and see if this makes a difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending