The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Personally I think resits should still be allowed, but only one per module and the resit mark should count whether it's higher or not. That would make people think twice about resitting just for the sake of it on the off chance that they might do better. Only those who were serious about improving their grade would risk resitting and doing worse, and it's unlikely someone would go from a D to an A in one resit, although as Leanne pointed out on the last page, I did in an AS history module, so it does happen. At the same time, it would mean people who just had a bad exam and screwed up because of nerves, illness or whatever but usually got good grades would have another chance. However, I also agree with thornsnroses that it's stupid that people can get Cs at A2 and still get an A overall if they got As at AS, and with rachel-linguist that getting rid of ASs and just going back to the old system of sitting A-levels after 2 years would be the best way to solve the problem.
Reply 61
kellywood_5
Personally I think resits should still be allowed, but only one per module and the resit mark should count whether it's higher or not. That would make people think twice about resitting just for the sake of it on the off chance that they might do better. Only those who were serious about improving their grade would risk resitting and doing worse, and it's unlikely someone would go from a D to an A in one resit, although as Leanne pointed out on the last page, I did in an AS history module, so it does happen. At the same time, it would mean people who just had a bad exam and screwed up because of nerves, illness or whatever but usually got good grades would have another chance. However, I also agree with thornsnroses that it's stupid that people can get Cs at A2 and still get an A overall if they got As at AS, and with rachel-linguist that getting rid of ASs and just going back to the old system of sitting A-levels after 2 years would be the best way to solve the problem.

I still think it would be better if they could resit, but with the fact that they resat well advertised and the original grade posted, as well as the number of times resat.
Niccolo
I still think it would be better if they could resit, but with the fact that they resat well advertised and the original grade posted, as well as the number of times resat.

Yeah, that would work too.
Reply 63
Baal K, you don't seem to have got the essence of the problem. The problem being you could easily cheat people and yourself into getting an A. You have two years effectively to learn As material, and its not really that challenging to drill in. You than can have 3 tries at it - score high on an easy paper and you've done well. You can then breeze through the A2 material and get a much lower grade and still get an A or a B - how then by attaining that grade have you met the specific requirements of the qualification for that particular grade?

This implies that the problem is the constuction of the A Level itself, more so than justifying the stopping of resits. They could adjust the way that they award the grade, with no need to stop resits. An example would be giving you the average grade of your modules. Eg. AAACCC would give you a B, whatever the UMS.

ThornsnRoses

And with all respect I think the Alevel system is a bit of a joke, it genuinely undermines clever or actually talented people.

Clever and talented people have the AEAs, Olympiads and STEP to do. They can do these if they want to show their ability.
Reply 64
Baal_k
Baal K, you don't seem to have got the essence of the problem. The problem being you could easily cheat people and yourself into getting an A. You have two years effectively to learn As material, and its not really that challenging to drill in. You than can have 3 tries at it - score high on an easy paper and you've done well. You can then breeze through the A2 material and get a much lower grade and still get an A or a B - how then by attaining that grade have you met the specific requirements of the qualification for that particular grade?

This implies that the problem is the constuction of the A Level itself, more so than justifying the stopping of resits. They could adjust the way that they award the grade, with no need to stop resits. An example would be giving you the average grade of your modules. Eg. AAACCC would give you a B, whatever the UMS.

Clever and talented people have the AEAs, Olympiads and STEP to do. They can do these if they want to show their ability.

So whats the point in A levels then you ****er? And what happens to people who go to crap schools whose teachers themselves would be unable to do an AEA, let alone teach it? This is a dreadful 'let them eat cake' attitude. I keep my point, scrap resits full stop , but if they must be kept, which is more reasonable, make sure everyone knows how many times its been resat and what the original grade was. If i had my way A levels would not simply be graded but counted as a score out of 600 as well.
Niccolo
I keep my point, scrap resits full stop , but if they must be kept, which is more reasonable, make sure everyone knows how many times its been resat and what the original grade was. If i had my way A levels would not simply be graded but counted as a score out of 600 as well.

Yep, I agree with that. And all students would have to declare their AS grades and UMS marks when applying to uni as well.
Niccolo

Thats what I mean, the system needs to be made more transparent, maybe by making the individual grades available, the only problem is most universities have made their offers before they get to see the Cs at A2, and for most candidates it is a matter of clocking up enough points to get 480 (whatever the individual grades). Their should be some sort of tier for grades e.g. A grade like an A+ for people with As in all modules or something that distinguishes the low achievers from the rest - having said that, doesnt that encourage resits?

Baal_K

Clever/talented shouldnt be made to do extra work to distinguish them from the rest of the A-grade achieving cohort. And its true that some schools dont place any emphasis on AEAs - mine doesn't, but it isnt much of an issue, because the AEAs are meant to be aptitude based, and you can't really do any work for them.
Reply 67
ThornsnRoses
Clever/talented shouldnt be made to do extra work to distinguish them from the rest of the A-grade achieving cohort. And its true that some schools dont place any emphasis on AEAs - mine doesn't, but it isnt much of an issue, because the AEAs are meant to be aptitude based, and you can't really do any work for them.

They are not made to do extra work. But if they wish to show their ability then they should take an aptitude test (such as AEAs!) You cannot expect one course to cover the entire range of abilities. Somebody at the high end of an A at A Level should be able to teach themselves extra material. Otherwise they do not justify the label "clever or talented". In fact, if they do not want to do extra work then there is something wrong with them.

To expect to fix A Levels by limiting retakes is not realistic. The best policy is to develop further the AEAs to provide coverage for the brightest students and to create more difficult questions on the A Level papers. An introduction of an A+ grade would also not be a bad idea. But trying to differentiate about that moves into pure exam technique and not ability.
Reply 68
I keep my point, scrap resits full stop , but if they must be kept, which is more reasonable, make sure everyone knows how many times its been resat and what the original grade was. If i had my way A levels would not simply be graded but counted as a score out of 600 as well.

I don't think A levels should be listed as a score out of 600 instead of being graded. Let's be honest here: if that was the case, then it would not simply be good enough to get an A - no, you would have to aspire to 300/300 :eek: Which is crazy! Exams are stressful enough without having extra pressure to get not just good grades, but perfection.

And there's nothing wrong with resits either. Even the best students can get initially low module marks. For English in particular, I know plenty of amazing students - with 8A*s GCSE etc - who got at least one C in an AS module. The jump from GCSE to AS can be offputting at first, specially for people who didn't have to work at all to get A*s in GCSE and only realise on AS results day that the same thing isn't possible at a higher stage. And actually, it can be harder to do a module again - above all in a non-synoptic paper - because you won't have looked at the topic for a whole year, meaning that you have to essentially start from zero (not to mention you're working for for A2s at the same time.)

Fair enough, there needs to be a way for exceptional students to be recognised. But interviews, AEAs, extra-curricular etc can all be used to this end. And what about other exams like the BMAT, HAT etc?

Anyway, since you're suggesting these ideas, I'm geussing that getting 100% first time round isn't a problem for you, and you just want to show off. Well, lucky you. :congrats: Why dont you just go stare proudly at your module marks, instead of trying to think up ways of putting down people who have to genuinly work, struggle and stress to do well?
Diyalah

Anyway, since you're suggesting these ideas, I'm geussing that getting 100% first time round isn't a problem for you, and you just want to show off. Well, lucky you. :congrats: Why dont you just go stare proudly at your module marks, instead of trying to think up ways of putting down people who have to genuinly work, struggle and stress to do well?

We're not talking about getting 100%, we're talking about achieving A grades, without 100s of retakes. And no not everyone got atleast a C. My GCSEs are not quite as good as the ones you mentioned and I didnt get any C's, even without doing work.
Diyalah
I don't think A levels should be listed as a score out of 600 instead of being graded. Let's be honest here: if that was the case, then it would not simply be good enough to get an A - no, you would have to aspire to 300/300 :eek: Which is crazy! Exams are stressful enough without having extra pressure to get not just good grades, but perfection.

True, but that's life. There will always be stress associated with things like exams, just as there will be plenty of stress in the 'real world' when we all start work, so in a way, it's preparing us for that. Also, there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection, and being able to see the score out of 600 would separate those who just scraped As from those who got top As. Why shouldn't people who get better results be recognised for it?

Diyalah
And there's nothing wrong with resits either. Even the best students can get initially low module marks. For English in particular, I know plenty of amazing students - with 8A*s GCSE etc - who got at least one C in an AS module. The jump from GCSE to AS can be offputting at first, specially for people who didn't have to work at all to get A*s in GCSE and only realise on AS results day that the same thing isn't possible at a higher stage. And actually, it can be harder to do a module again - above all in a non-synoptic paper - because you won't have looked at the topic for a whole year, meaning that you have to essentially start from zero (not to mention you're working for for A2s at the same time.)

With all due respect, people who slack off and think they don't need to work deserve to get bad results, in my opinion. And we're not saying that resits should be scrapped, just that the number of times you've resat and your original grades/marks should be made available so you're not treated the same as someone who got good results the first time around. I'm certainly not against resits entirely- I resat 2 of my AS history modules in January, and if I hadn't done that, I'd be in a much weaker position than I am now and would find it extremely difficult to get an overall A for my A-level. I also know from personal experience that resits can be stressful. However, I'd still have more respect for someone who got an A the first time than someone who got one after a resit.

Diyalah

That's not really fair. Just because this is the Oxbridge forum, that doesn't mean we all got perfect scores first time around in everything. I, for one, got a D in one of my AS history modules the first time and had to resit to get an A. Also, although I can only speak for myself here, I've had to 'genuinely work, struggle and stress to do well'. I may have relatively good results, but they certainly haven't come naturally.
Reply 71
kellywood_5
Also, there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection, and being able to see the score out of 600 would separate those who just scraped As from those who got top As. Why shouldn't people who get better results be recognised for it?

This could actually be detrimental to the students. It will mean that students will simply go over the syllabus again and again and again. They will do this so they can push themselves slightly ahead as they will get an exact number out of 600.

Their time would be more wisely spent reading around the subject and doing extra work like AEAs, Olympiads and STEP.

Therefore somebody who scored 570 could be far better than somebody who scored 600, even though your A Level system would not show this. The only way this difference will become apparent is when Oxbridge interview you and see that your score, albeit 30 points higher, does not make you more able. The A Level system cannot be, and is not, used to test these miniscule differences and to try and make it do so will inevitably end in failure.
Baal_k
This could actually be detrimental to the students. It will mean that students will simply go over the syllabus again and again and again. They will do this so they can push themselves slightly ahead as they will get an exact number out of 600.

Their time would be more wisely spent reading around the subject and doing extra work like AEAs, Olympiads and STEP.

Therefore somebody who scored 570 could be far better than somebody who scored 600, even though your A Level system would not show this. The only way this difference will become apparent is when Oxbridge interview you and see that your score, albeit 30 points higher, does not make you more able. The A Level system cannot be, and is not, used to test these miniscule differences and to try and make it do so will inevitably end in failure.

I'm probably just being naive here, but surely the top students already strive to achieve the highest marks they can for themselves, even though they don't matter in terms of unis or anything at the moment? Letting the total score out of 600 be known would simply be a way of rewarding them for their efforts. Extra exams like AEA and STEP are supposed to be just that- extras that the top students can manage without compromising their A-level performance. Another point is that AEAs are designed so that you can't prepare for them, other than doing a few past papers, and therefore they don't take much time at all other than sitting the exams.
Reply 73
kellywood_5
I'm probably just being naive here, but surely the top students already strive to achieve the highest marks they can for themselves, even though they don't matter in terms of unis or anything at the moment? Letting the total score out of 600 be known would simply be a way of rewarding them for their efforts.

Kelly, in my opinion the difference between 570 and 600 can often be simply luck or the actual examiner you have (especially in essay exams). The top students may strive to achieve the best they can, but given the situation of doing 20 past papers or 5 past papers and reading a journal on your subject, I would hope the best would choose the latter.

If you want to reward their efforts and ability, then make the A Levels MORE difficult and introduce a new grade. (NOTE: do not just introduce a new grade, this does not help much) If the questions are sufficiently difficult then it does not matter how many times you resit, if you do not understand the content well enough you will not reach the top grade.

No doubt people will say, "but my school will not provide assistance for these extra questions." This is the whole point, the student must go beyond their classroom learning and develop their understanding of the subject themselves. This is how to reward real effort and ability.
Baal_k
Kelly, in my opinion the difference between 570 and 600 can often be simply luck or the actual examiner you have (especially in essay exams). The top students may strive to achieve the best they can, but given the situation of doing 20 past papers or 5 past papers and reading a journal on your subject, I would hope the best would choose the latter.

If you want to reward their efforts and ability, then make the A Levels MORE difficult and introduce a new grade. (NOTE: do not just introduce a new grade, this does not help much) If the questions are sufficiently difficult then it does not matter how many times you resit, if you do not understand the content well enough you will not reach the top grade.

No doubt people will say, "but my school will not provide assistance for these extra questions." This is the whole point, the student must go beyond their classroom learning and develop their understanding of the subject themselves. This is how to reward real effort and ability.

That may be true, but I think you'd agree that there is a pretty big difference between 480 and 600 and at the moment, they're being treated exactly the same, which is surely not fair. Admissions tutors, employers etc have the sense to know that 30 marks out of 600 isn't a lot and they wouldn't necessarily select a 600 candidate over a 570 candidate, so I think they should have the right to know.

I hate to sound cynical, but I'm sure if these extra questions were put into place, the top private and grammar schools would start coaching for them, just as I'm sure many do already for AEAs and STEP. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be introduced because as long as private and grammar schools exist, there will always be inequalities and unfortunately it's something we'll never get rid of, but I think the current system would be fine with a few changes.
Reply 75
kellywood_5
I hate to sound cynical, but I'm sure if these extra questions were put into place, the top private and grammar schools would start coaching for them, just as I'm sure many do already for AEAs and STEP.

This happens for GCSEs and A Levels already, it will not be different for any other exams. There is a difference between knowing the material and doing well on the exam unfortunatly. :rolleyes:
Baal_k
This happens for GCSEs and A Levels already, it will not be different for any other exams. There is a difference between knowing the material and doing well on the exam unfortunatly. :rolleyes:

So how would introducing extra questions or harder exams solve the problem? Again, we'd just have the situation where people at good schools do better not necessarily because they're more intelligent, but because they've been coached better. Anyway, that's pretty irrelevant really because, as I said in a previous post, that will always be the case.
Reply 77
Baal_k
I firmly think that somebody who acheived an A first time around should still receive the same grade as somebody who managed to get an A after five resits.

This is wrong mathematically.

Suppose that one person's deserved mark was 240, ie the A/B borderline. By this I mean if the exam system was perfect they would get that mark every time given their ability and effort. Let's suppose they take the exam once, and are stuck with the mark they get. Half the time they get an A, and half a B or less (I realise that also makes assumptions, but you see where I'm coing from - a roughly symmetrical distribution).

Now let's say someone takes the exam 5 times, and has the same deserved grade over all five papers - so they deserve the same grade as the first person, 240, A/B. There is only a 1 in 32 chance they won't get an A! In fact, it is massively more likely they will do better than the other person.

This is why I think only one resit should be allowed, and only then in exceptional circumstances (bereavement/illness). That way, people would be bothered to do the work the first time because they wouldn't have a safety net to fall back on of massivley improving their chances for an undeserved grade. If they want an A, do the work the first time!
kizer
This is wrong mathematically.

Suppose that one person's deserved mark was 240, ie the A/B borderline. By this I mean if the exam system was perfect they would get that mark every time given their ability and effort. Let's suppose they take the exam once, and are stuck with the mark they get. Half the time they get an A, and half a B or less (I realise that also makes assumptions, but you see where I'm coing from - a roughly symmetrical distribution).

Now let's say someone takes the exam 5 times, and has the same deserved grade over all five papers - so they deserve the same grade as the first person, 240, A/B. There is only a 1 in 32 chance they won't get an A! In fact, it is massively more likely they will do better than the other person.

This is why I think only one resit should be allowed, and only then in exceptional circumstances (bereavement/illness). That way, people would be bothered to do the work the first time because they wouldn't have a safety net to fall back on of massivley improving their chances for an undeserved grade. If they want an A, do the work the first time!

but sometimes people just don't do as well as expected and with some subjects, the marking can be really subjective. with me, i got a D in my english lit module but i put some much work into it and was getting As for all of the essays i wrote and my teacher was so shocked
alison_141288
but sometimes people just don't do as well as expected and with some subjects, the marking can be really subjective. with me, i got a D in my english lit module but i put some much work into it and was getting As for all of the essays i wrote and my teacher was so shocked

A similar thing happened to me with an AS history module. I got a D after doing loads of work for it and getting As and Bs on all my essays. I resat it in January and went up to an A, and both of my teachers are convinced something dodgy was going on with the marking.

Latest

Trending

Trending