The Student Room Group

C3 - functions

I've got a problem with doing C3 functions questions. For example, one of the questions asks to prove that f(x)=1x+1,x>3f(x) = \frac{1}{x+1}, x>3, knowing that f:xf: x -> 2(x1)x22x31x3,x>3\frac{2(x-1)}{x^2-2x-3} - \dfrac{1}{x-3}, x>3. I completely don't know how to approach a question like that. :confused: What does this arrow mean? I can't find anything about it in textbook... :eek:

Thanks,
Draggy
The arrow means greater than, imagine it to be like a pacman that wants to eat the biggest number.

No worries,
Marcus
Reply 2
Dude, I don't mean that arrow... :tongue: f: x -> is the one I don't get.
Reply 3
The arrow (well, the whole 'sentence') means f is mapping x to that expression, for x>3. It's basically asking you to combine those two fractions into 1/(x+1)
Reply 4
the arrow can be read as f(x)=such and such

For this one try factorising the denominator of the first fraction
Reply 5
factorise the bottom then solve as a normal fraction seeing whats in common (the spoiler below is what you should get) but try and work it out urself . (hint: (x-3)(x+1) is going to be the denominator above which you will have to minus), once you do that, then you should get the answer.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

(2x-2-x-1)/(x+1)(x-3)
factorise that shizzle!
Reply 7
Argh, so that arrow doesn't really matter... Well, now it makes sense. :wink: Thanks all.

Quick Reply

Latest