The Student Room Group

Imperial vs Bath

Hi....

I have an offer for MSc Finance from Imperial(tanaka) and Bath.

I am an international student and my major concern is employability. Some people have told me that If employment is your concern you 'must' study in London i.e. Imperial. That way I will get to network with Investment Banks.
But Imperial is way too expensive (19000 pounds) as compared to Bath (11,000 pounds). So do you guys think I should pay the extra 8000 pounds and go to imperial? or is Bath good enough?

I would really appreciate some advice!!
Reply 1
In my opinion, Imperial is far more respected than Bath...Im not saying Bath isnt good, but I believe Tanaka has an extremely good reputation among employers...if you can afford it, I would go with Imperial :smile:
Reply 2
Also I notice you're an international student from India.

Imperial's reputation is exceedingly superior to Bath internationally. That will definitely matter to you and your employment prospects.
Reply 3
but why is bath (3 rd) ranked higher than Imperial (11 th) in times rankings
in business studies ?
any idea??
Reply 4
contrarian
in business studies ?
any idea??

I'm pretty sure that's for the undergraduate degrees. Imperial's undergraduate degrees aren't based at Tanaka, that's why, but yours would be, so no worries.
Reply 5
Imperial.
Reply 6
contrarian
in business studies ?
any idea??

League Tables are a joke, they use the weirdest criterea that probably won't actually affect your own studies. Although Bath is good for Business, it's overall reputation is much lower than that of Imperial's. If you can afford it (and I understand that this may be entirely impossible) than go for Imperial.
Reply 7
contrarian
Hi....

I have an offer for MSc Finance from Imperial(tanaka) and Bath.

I am an international student and my major concern is employability. Some people have told me that If employment is your concern you 'must' study in London i.e. Imperial. That way I will get to network with Investment Banks.
But Imperial is way too expensive (19000 pounds) as compared to Bath (11,000 pounds). So do you guys think I should pay the extra 8000 pounds and go to imperial? or is Bath good enough?

I would really appreciate some advice!!

bath is much better for under-graduate, though i think tanaka is really good and respected for post-graduate.

and imperial is 11th for "undergraduate" as the degrees are not done by tanaka.

tanaka is "much" better for postgraduate.

here are the rankings for undergraduate i.e which u were refering to.( 20business.pdf)

the top 100 unis overall (top 100.pdf)

And the top 100 MBA schools (2005_table_mba.pdf), i know it does not have much revelance in terms of your degree, but it might help you.

good luck deciding, hope you found these useful.

All the best!
Reply 8
I would choose Imperial as its reputation is brilliant. It will give you the best employment opportunities - also the course is competitive, so you want to have the best advantage possible.

What did you end up choosing?
Reply 9
is imperial the best university for a postgrad business course in britain??

also is it the most expensive?! 19k is sees it!

thanks
Imperial
Reply 11
Hmm, for postgrad I think the best is LSE - if that does your course that is. Imperial is a close second I believe
Reply 12
I would advise you go for Imperial.

That is not to say Bath isn't any good because it is a very good management school. The top BB IBs such as Morgan Stanley, Goldman etc do visit the campus. However, Imperial is a better university all round and has a longer history of success due to it being older.

LSE as stated above is better than Imperial for the course in question

Latest

Trending

Trending