The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Biggest waste of time ever!! I too did the it exam and asked to leave after 15 mins because i had finished... but the regualtions state you must sit in the exam for at least 1 hour... the exam was 1 hour!!! what a joke!!!

We also have to do this stupid coursework element, i've done part a, but no idea what i even have to do for part B... apperently something to do with number manipulation??? So stupid honestly! I have done all this stuff before about 5 years ago, i don't know why it wasn't achieved back then!!
Like everybody else here its an utter complete waste of my time

Utter (f*ing) pointless
Reply 42
You can get out of it at my college if you were over the age of 19 when you started the course.

I haven't attended a Keyskills lecture for 5 months anyway, so I won't do any work for it unless it is very necessary.
Reply 43
james88
You can get out of it at my college if you were over the age of 19 when you started the course.

I haven't attended a Keyskills lecture for 5 months anyway, so I won't do any work for it unless it is very necessary.

:-o how very unfair! I'm 19 - why did i have to do it!!
Reply 44
Key Skills is a JOKE! I'm doing an Acces course so slightly different to the usual UCAS stuff but we are suggested to go to these skill sessions. If we dont we get our co-ordinator Nicky moaning at us. Whilst Im in agreement that it may be useful for some. It's a waste of time for everyone else!

Libera (Winchester UK)
Reply 45
Is this the application of number one? I vaguely remember my mum taught this for a year a couple of years back and it really is a joke. She was really pleased when it got taken off her timetable.

No offense to anyone doing it, but it looks a bit pointless all in all. My mum even said to me herself it was a waste of time for most of the kids. I think the college mainly just put the people in it who were too stupid for traditional GCSEs/ a levels. Although that may have a been a different course :confused: I forget.
Reply 46
Really big pain in the arse. The only reason I went to the lessons is because I get EMA, so no lessons, no money. I was made to do level 2 ICT and level 3 Communication, and I fell alsleep in both of the exams. I need certain grades for my uni place anyway, so there really isn't any point in me doing them.
Reply 47
It really is a waste of time, ive never completed a full year of key skills (minus working with others and communication as we actually did work in those) since i started college 4 years ago as ive always thought it was pointless. AON was a joke all we ever did was go through past exam papers i ended up not going after a couple of months.

Although on my first year of college we were made to do the IT key skill... i never went after a couple of months and still got entered into the exam i sat it and finished it after about 15 mins and ended up passing it.. that one hasnt benefited me in any way
Reply 48
schools make you do them because they get a heck of a lot more money for them than it costs them to "teach" them, so naturally, enter as many students as they can for them.

Technically, people doing A level English, maths and computing/it are exempted from all requirements for the relevant key skill, and AS level students are exempted from the exam, according to the boards, but good luck trying to convince your school of that.
Reply 49
I suppose the only other think that key skills can be good for is when getting a job. This is cos what if you go to a job interview with the extactly the same qulifications as someone else in your class. Its a fifty/fifty chance. But if you go with exactly the same qulifications and a key skills, there might be a better chnace of you getting the job.
Reply 50
Brubaskia
I suppose the only other think that key skills can be good for is when getting a job. This is cos what if you go to a job interview with the extactly the same qulifications as someone else in your class. Its a fifty/fifty chance. But if you go with exactly the same qulifications and a key skills, there might be a better chnace of you getting the job.

...or not. If you're at the interview stage, it's purely on who does best in the interview.
A complete and utter poopa scoopa joke!!!!! Was doing them since I was at school and I tried soooo many times to wriggle out of them that it just didnt wash with teachers. The also brain feed you with ''they will look good on your CV, they are worth extra UCAS points'' - like heck are they.

However saying all that though if your GCSE's arent good - they can be a starting block for you though - so I have been told
My college is going to make me do them for IT, Maths, and English even though ive done gcses is key skills level 3 the same as as level.
Reply 53
Total waste of time unless you did not get C or better in the corresponding subject.

I had to do the Maths one but already had an A* in both Maths & Stats GCSE

At one point I had to point out to the teacher that 1:5 does not equal 1/5. She wouldn't have it so from then on sat at the back of the class not paying much attention.

I heard from one of my lectures that Key Skills is a just a money earner to make up for unprofitable courses
Chrish2
Total waste of time unless you did not get C or better in the corresponding subject.

I had to do the Maths one but already had an A* in both Maths & Stats GCSE

At one point I had to point out to the teacher that 1:5 does not equal 1/5. She wouldn't have it so from then on sat at the back of the class not paying much attention.

1:5 is 1/5. LOL only joking. I find it ridiculous that a teacher would have said that. You need at least a C in Maths, English and Science to be a primary teacher and a degree I think to be a secondary teacher as well as the C in English and Maths. I can't believe you had a teacher like that.
Reply 55
Mathemagician. Funny?
1:5 is 1/5. LOL only joking. I find it ridiculous that a teacher would have said that. You need at least a C in Maths, English and Science to be a primary teacher and a degree I think to be a secondary teacher as well as the C in English and Maths. I can't believe you had a teacher like that.

Im not joking, even did the "well I had 1 back ball and 5 blue balls then I have a a ratio of 1 black ball to every 5 blue balls (1:5), how would yo express this as a fraction (how many black balls do you have compared out of the total number of balls)" she still insisted that she was correct!
I did them; waste of time really.
city_chic
I did them; waste of time really.

Agreed complete BS, waste of time. Time could have been better spent on coursework or Exam revisions.
Reply 58
Actually they are not a waste of time at all. I was retaking my GCSE Maths because well, I did crap but anyway I went to the University and spoke to them about it. They said that there was no way they were going to accept me without at least a C in GCSE maths or equivalent. I was worried because I really hate maths. When they mentioned the equivalent qualifications I saw my chance to go in for the kill. I told them that i had Key skills and they didn't even know what I was talking about but after a few days they called me and said they were willing to accept they key skills. So the moral of this story is, do the key skills. Maybe you might just fool some University into accepting you without having to worry about your GCSEs.
It's a complete waste of my time, I'm more concerned about finishing the work I actually signed up to do, instead of endless poxy pieces of sheets that I have to write nonsense on.

Latest

Trending

Trending