The Student Room Group

alevel subjects

so sixth form has just started and i have chosen biology, chemistry and psychology. but in reality i want to do something more creative like textiles or phototherapy since i have always been into fashion however my parents want me to take the medicine route. i don’t hate the sciences i just am unsure. if i do continue with these alevels i know i have to commit but i always get jealous when my friends talk abt doing their creative subjects bc i know that’s what i would truly like to do.

should i change my subjects? or should i continue doing sciences ? i don’t want to disappoint my parents. pls help!!
You are not going to manage a medical degree if you don't really want to do it. You will struggle to get into a course, you will likely struggle with the workload if it isn't what you want to do, and you'll be at high risk of burnout.

It sounds like you should have a conversation with some kind of advisor at your school, and ask if they can help you talk to your parents. It may be that you compromise by doing some creative subjects with some sciences but there are options. But I really don't think it's a good idea to go into a really work intensive path when you don't want the result
Reply 2
Original post by annoymous72
so sixth form has just started and i have chosen biology, chemistry and psychology. but in reality i want to do something more creative like textiles or phototherapy since i have always been into fashion however my parents want me to take the medicine route. i don’t hate the sciences i just am unsure. if i do continue with these alevels i know i have to commit but i always get jealous when my friends talk abt doing their creative subjects bc i know that’s what i would truly like to do.

should i change my subjects? or should i continue doing sciences ? i don’t want to disappoint my parents. pls help!!

Maybe talk to someone like your head of year who could see if you could pick something creative up as a 4th subject? As well, if you're interested in maybe following the creative career path, see what qualifications you'd need, whether you'd need the creative qualification to apply for that course, and if not, maybe keep something creative up as hobby, to potentially create a portfolio if you decide to do something that will require a portfolio submission. Sciences are key stone subjects that are usually liked for a variety of courses, so if you enjoy them, it may be worthwhile to have them as a backup. At the end of the day, it is your life which you should be happy with, so if not doing something creative will make you jealous or miserable, then don't force yourself to be unhappy! It can be hard to discuss this with parents, but see what options you could have for 4th subjects and future courses. Hope it goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest