The Student Room Group

Studying away, what to bring?

Im studying for illustration, I'm wondering what i should be taking with me that would be helpful for the course?
Original post by Darcie_Burrows
Im studying for illustration, I'm wondering what i should be taking with me that would be helpful for the course?

@Darcie_Burrows

If you have any art materials/ sketchbooks that you particularly like then it might be worthwhile to bring some of them along. It tends to be that art departments at universities have their own shop or there is an art shop not too far from the university, where you can get further supplies.

You could reach out to your university to see if there are any brands specifically that they would recommend for particular items, but I think it's also down to what you feel comfortable using and what allows you to produce your best work.

Finally, it might also be good to check how much digital illustration there is on your course and what computer programs you may need.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi @Darcie_Burrows,

Definitely make sure to check out the course page on your university's website: most art courses should provide you with a rough list of what sort of materials you'll need somewhere on there (although note that you don't tend to need everything listed).

In terms of deciding what to take to uni, my key piece of advice is to bring whatever tools you tend to use the most right now, whether that's digital equipment (i.e. drawing tablet/iPad) or more traditional materials (markers/pencils). If you end up changing style or want to try something new later on, you can pick up new materials whilst you're there - but there's no point using up tons of packing space to bring materials you don't think you'd use frequently.

If you are more of a digital illustrator, I wouldn't fret too much over downloading any specific software/programs either: most art unis will provide these to you once you enrol and start your course.

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending