The Student Room Group

How old were you when you decided what degree to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A month before we had to fill in the UCAS form :3
Reply 41
From the age of 11-17 I was convinced I would go to uni and do English Literature, shock of my life when I go to A Level lit and hated the whole thing, started A levels again and picked up Biology on a whim and now I have just started my degree. There's plenty of time to decide, A levels will really help you find your passion for a subject or two.
Reply 42
25 - English and History
17.75 years old
14 and a half. I start the degree this coming week.
Reply 45
I never cared about university, UCAS came along and said "you gotta join a uni" and my mum said you gotta go... so I went.
Pretty much since year eight. Before I'd wanted to do English, but after that it was history all the way, aside from a brief foray into PPE which ended fairly swiftly.
Reply 47
17 (start of 2nd year at college and 2/3 years at college) I decided biology was my calling. Before that I wanted to law, international relations, spanish, spanish+ italian, medicine at one point. Safe to say I was indecisive but I cannot wait to start next year :crossedf:
Reply 48
15 or 16. cant remember:badger:
Reply 49
Up until Year 9 I had thought acting was what I wanted to do; naively thinking that actors had any input in creative decisions in film or tv. That was when it hit me that directing/writing is what I really REALLY want to do.

If you wouldn't sleep rough on the streets/with bare minimum to continue your passion/subject then I would reconsider your choice; especially if it is a competitive field.
When I was 2 days old, I knew, I just knew that history was my destiny! Yep... :colondollar:
Reply 51
I was 11 when I decided I wanted to be a Family Law solicitor.

I knew quite early, lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
At 18. Before then I honestly didn't think I'd go to university. I've always loved History (my subject) but uni was always something for other people, not the likes of me. It wasn't the subject that I was unsure of but whether I'd go at all.
Reply 53
18 at uni and am still in the process of choosing
Reply 54
I'd decided the day before I chose my Standard Grades that I wanted to do Architecture but then about a month before sending my uni application changed my mind completely because I realised I can't do freehand, didn't want all the stress and that I'd be better off going down a different career path.
So even if you do 'decide' soon you may well change your mind. Don't worry though, you don't need to care right now.
Reply 55
Since I was 7 I knew I wanted to be a teacher... however had to change the route I took to get there after not getting onto the BEd coz I missed my offer coz my a level results were bad. Did Education Studies then took a gap year, am now doing a PGCE :smile:
23. Yes I'm going to be quite old when I finally graduate :eek:

It went Biomedical Science (left after first year), Economics (held offers), now I've just started a Law degree.

Law was my backup from Economics, I didn't make my grades so didn't get into my first choice. Law was my insurance.

I'm reasonably happy with Law, though I do wonder if I would ultimately be happier with Econ...
When I was 17-18, the time I was applying at College, I decided what I wanted to do at University. There's no need to fret now if you're not sure on what you want to do. I was set on going to university from being about 12-13 years old but it wasn't until it came to applying that I was able to fully look through the courses and decide on what was best for me and what I want to do in life.

Schools sometimes can add too much pressure especially when it comes to life decisions and the future but if you remain open you'll find the answer eventually. Some people know from a young age what is right for them but others take longer.
Reply 58
After I'd started my degree :colonhash:
Reply 59
I only did Maths because I was good at it and still wanted to keep my options open as I wasn't sure which other course to take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending