The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Age of other students at university in Scotland

Hi sorry to ask, I live in England but am planning on studying university at Heriot-Watt University I am looking at doing an undergraduate course in international business and will enter into the first year of a 4 years masters degree course. I am currently studying A levels in year 13. I have recently found out that many Scottish students start university at 17 or sometimes even 16. I will have just turned 18 when I join and would currently be in S6 if I was in Scotland but have heard some join University after S5. Do any of you know how likely it is that most of the graduates will be from S5 as I am worried that I will be the one of the only 18 year olds in my year
hardly any people start uni at 16/17 most wait till after S6 so you won't be out of place
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Barely anyone actually starts uni before 18. You'll be fine.
Original post by Jamiefl2006
Hi sorry to ask, I live in England but am planning on studying university at Heriot-Watt University I am looking at doing an undergraduate course in international business and will enter into the first year of a 4 years masters degree course. I am currently studying A levels in year 13. I have recently found out that many Scottish students start university at 17 or sometimes even 16. I will have just turned 18 when I join and would currently be in S6 if I was in Scotland but have heard some join University after S5. Do any of you know how likely it is that most of the graduates will be from S5 as I am worried that I will be the one of the only 18 year olds in my year

Hi!

I'm currently in my second year at Heriot and it's so great!

I'm also from England so I joined when I was 18 and in my course of around 100 people most people were also the same age. We had maybe 10/15 people a little younger but most were the same age as me and some are older. Honestly though, age doesn't really matter as much at university and no one really thinks to ask.

But if it is something that concerns you I wouldn't worry, while Scottish students can join younger most don't. You'll definitely be in the majority age wise and at Heriot we have around 1/3 Scottish students, 1/3 RUK and 1/3 international students so even if all the Scottish students in your class decide to join at 16 (extremely unlikely) you'll still have most people around your age.

If you have any questions about what Heriot-Watt is like feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help! I'm doing a Computer Science degree so a different course but general uni stuff will be the same :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest